Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So gyms closed at level 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I guess it depends on what individual training means. Normal gym but no group classes? Or does it mean just 1 on 1 personal training? As with everything this government puts out it's not exactly clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

I think that means no classes and just individuals working out on gym floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Lol what? You have to ring in to book?

Yes, the last I saw on Instagram was his latest nonsensical rambling which included the groundbreaking business practice of CALLING, to book your gym slot. There was no mention of what these gym slots/times actually were, nor any acknowledgement of the fact that hundreds/thousands of members trying to get through on one phone line, is a terrible idea. If only there was another way of doing it.

Oh, i stand corrected, there are now time slots, which don't actually correlate to the 1 hour and 15 minutes stated... but yes.. call.

The man hasn't a balooba's what he's doing and is being shown up now.

....but I've seen everyone doing their bit and cleaning up after themselves.

Few slackers in mine who are not cleaning up after themselves. Same people who dont put weights back, leave bars lying where they left them etc..

It would be much better if the protocol was to clean what you use BEFORE you use it. Then the slackers would only be putting themselves at risk and not everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

gotta suffer this covid crap to get into a gym but fcukin hell.
    today took the biscuit

gimp before me sprayed the floor of the rack.

almost went on my snot

paw patrol wrote: »
    gotta suffer this covid crap to get into a gym but fcukin hell.
    today took the biscuit

gimp before me sprayed the floor of the rack.

almost went on my snot

If you'd burst yourself on the floor, you wouldn't have been infected.

I hope you thanked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

There are groups in Flyfit CHQ completely disregarding social distancing and being agressive about it. Its a struggle to go there but I dont have much choice.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yes, the last I saw on Instagram was his latest nonsensical rambling which included the groundbreaking business practice of CALLING, to book your gym slot. There was no mention of what these gym slots/times actually were, nor any acknowledgement of the fact that hundreds/thousands of members trying to get through on one phone line, is a terrible idea. If only there was another way of doing it.

Oh, i stand corrected, there are now time slots, which don't actually correlate to the 1 hour and 15 minutes stated... but yes.. call.

The man hasn't a balooba's what he's doing and is being shown up now.

Surprised he hasn't put up a fax number for bookings so.

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    There are groups in Flyfit CHQ completely disregarding social distancing and being agressive about it. Its a struggle to go there but I dont have much choice.

If anyone in a gym is being aggressive towards other members you should report it to the gym management?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hayoc wrote: »
    Yeah, I reckon so. They are supposed to be down to 6 per class anyway. My gym is still doing 6-10 per class.

Hopefully!

No classes at FF anyway so I forgot that they were happening elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

If you'd burst yourself on the floor, you wouldn't have been infected.

I hope you thanked them.

suppose that's one way of looking at it...:)
    and the claims!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hopefully!

No classes at FF anyway so I forgot that they were happening elsewhere.

FF are still doing classes. When booking there is a dropdown for "Gym Only" or "Class Only"

matrim wrote: »
    FF are still doing classes. When booking there is a dropdown for "Gym Only" or "Class Only"

I tried to switch to Class Only out of curiosity but I couldn't so just assumed they weren't doing classes.

Interdasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I tried to switch to Class Only out of curiosity but I couldn't so just assumed they weren't doing classes.

Interdasting.

Maybe it depends on the Gym and only some of them are doing classes.

matrim wrote: »
    Maybe it depends on the Gym and only some of them are doing classes.

Maybe. But I trued there now and I could choose Class Only so maybe it's only reintroduced them.

Or maybe I was just wrong all along :)

Maybe. But I trued there now and I could choose Class Only so maybe it's only reintroduced them.

Or maybe I was just wrong all along :)

There was a class in Portobello the only time I've been there, that was mid August.
    They've been in Tallaght a few times that I've noticed, bike row ski type stuff.

Augeo wrote: »
    There was a class in Portobello the only time I've been there, that was mid August.
    They've been in Tallaght a few times that I've noticed, bike row ski type stuff.

The latter so.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Anyone been to B Dunne in Blanch and have any comments?

• Advertisement

Anyone been to B Dunne in Blanch and have any comments?

Id be curious to see if anyone managed to even get through to the booking line :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I heard that a gym in Bray has closed due to a Covid outbreak. Apparently there was a spin class in a steam chamber or something? Someone was there who didn't know they were positive and passed it onto everyone in the class. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms, I hadn't heard of this type of class before. I guess it's like Bikram yoga in a hot room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I heard that a gym in Bray has closed due to a Covid outbreak. Apparently there was a spin class in a steam chamber or something? Someone was there who didn't know they were positive and passed it onto everyone in the class. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms, I hadn't heard of this type of class before. I guess it's like Bikram yoga in a hot room?
    You would think that they would be the last classes that you would carry out at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I would very much like to hear actual details because my God, I couldn't design a worse class to attend during a pandemic if I was trying. Management should be held accountable if they let a steam chamber spin class go ahead.

Zillah wrote: »
    I would very much like to hear actual details because my God, I couldn't design a worse class to attend during a pandemic if I was trying. Management should be held accountable if they let a steam chamber spin class go ahead.

Even without the context of a pandemic, it's the height of stupidity

Sorry, but this just sounds made up (not suggesting YOU have made it up).

Ive never heard of Irish gyms doing Steam Spin - the maintenance alone on running spin bikes in a wet environment would be too much for most gyms to bother with, and thats without the medical risks associated with intense cardio in an extreme environment.

I mean, it sounds like something that *might* be a training method for an elite athlete, but hardly a regular gym class.

Bikram yoga is not comparable, its not cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ive never heard of Irish gyms doing Steam Spin - the maintenance alone on running spin bikes in a wet environment would be too much for most gyms to bother with, and thats without the medical risks associated with intense cardio in an extreme environment.

I mean, it sounds like something that *might* be a training method for an elite athlete, but hardly a regular gym class.

Flyfit do heated spin classes

Maybe it's....Bikeram Yoga.

Plenty of spin instructors doing silly shíte like press ups on the handlebars as they cycle so I wouldn't rule out that level of stupidity.

Flyfit do heated spin classes

Heated is common, but Steam Spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Are gym classes allowed under the current restrictions? There are approx 20 people in my daily spin class (bikes are 2 metres apart). My parents are beginning to get very annoyed with me attending.

The whole situation is becoming very stressful now, as the gym is my only source of freedom/mental health boost right now.

• Advertisement

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Are gym classes allowed under the current restrictions? There are approx 20 people in my daily spin class (bikes are 2 metres apart). My parents are beginning to get very annoyed with me attending.

The whole situation is becoming very stressful now, as the gym is my only source of freedom/mental health boost right now.

Level 3 they will stay open (had a read of RTE story earlier), no classes though. They are probably higher risk to be fair, smaller space and more intense workouts = more aerosols floating about.

Heat_Wave wrote: »

The whole country is on Level 2 with Dublin having extra restrictions (that dont impact gym classes).

I think Level 3 is where gym classes are cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Indoor working out would have to be classed as higher risk.

Air conditioning, recycled air combined with heavy breathing.
    But in fairness, anyone going to these classes is probably in an age group that means they will not get seriously ill if infected with covid.

Those of us who believe in keeping society safe while at the same time, developing herd immunity will understand this point.

Staying in a lock down type situation until a vaccine arrives is a first for global society in the history of pandemics. It is stretching reason a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

As long as the actual gym stays open I'm happy, I've got a routine and even seeing some strength (some) returning.. If this f*cks up again and the gyms shut it'll be worse than the original lockdown.

As long as the actual gym stays open I'm happy, I've got a routine and even seeing some strength (some) returning.. If this f*cks up again and the gyms shut it'll be worse than the original lockdown.

The gyms reopening was the biggest change for me tbh. I really missed it - for my mental health as much as anything.

I was surprised how little strength I lost too. It only took about 3 weeks for me to be back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Anyone hazard a guess at when Flyefit might extend their opening hours?

Patsy167 wrote: »

When we're back to Level 1 I'd guess, but that's not looking likely until we get some effective treatment or a vaccine. They need staff on site to manage the bookings, so outside of public transport hours would be tricky for them to open.

Patsy167 wrote: »

It won't be for quite some time. The hours now are pretty much as they were for the gyms that weren't open 24-hours. They need staff there at all times. They're still open from 5.30am to 11.15pm and I don't see that increasing this side of Christmas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Looks like we'll be at level 3 (Or 3.5... Factoring in wet pub restriction for Dublin) by the weekend.

I resurrected this thread a page or two back and worried that gym closures were on the way in Dublin again. I guess we've avoided that worst case scenario for now, thankfully... The way we're all interpreting individual training means that gym floors will remain open. But spare a thought for the businesses that will still have to shut, places that only offer martial arts classes and similar... :(

Would I be shocked if we went into level 4 in Dublin at some point over the winter, which would mean full closures? Nope.

• Advertisement

Would I be shocked if we went into level 4 in Dublin at some point over the winter, which would mean full closures? Nope.

Surely the data must show, by now, if they have had outbreaks associated with the gyms reopening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Heated is common, but Steam Spin?

Maybe it was a heated spin class. But it was described to me as steam spin. The person telling me could have had it wrong though. Chinese whispers n all that.

Surely the data must show, by now, if they have had outbreaks associated with the gyms reopening?

Well, I don't really know... I agree there must be some emerging data at this stage. But to what extent it is a focus of NPHET, who knows.

It just has gyms, leisure centres and swimming pools closed at Level 4 and 5, there doesn't seem to be any ambiguity.

Looking at the plan, it's hard to square closing exercise classes at Level 3 while reopening wet pubs though... Hard to believe that's in any way data driven and not simply Irish politics in action.

Looking at the plan, it's hard to square closing exercise classes at Level 3 while reopening wet pubs though... Hard to believe that's in any way data driven and not simply Irish politics in action.

Agree. Some of the decisions seem wildly contradictory with others.

Asked in my gym this morning if Level 3 = individual working out but no classes and they said yes, however, they have not been told to close to the school swim sessions which they all feel are more dangerous and have far more people in close proximity in a wet environment as opposed to a class of 6 people in a big room working out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Agree. Some of the decisions seem wildly contradictory with others.

Asked in my gym this morning if Level 3 = individual working out but no classes and they said yes, however, they have not been told to close to the school swim sessions which they all feel are more dangerous and have far more people in close proximity in a wet environment as opposed to a class of 6 people in a big room working out.
    Doesn't the chlorine in the water kill virus's. So just the changing area to worry about? Plus children are less likely to carry I thought?

Seems like the advice on swimming pools and covid is reasonably positive. There's chlorine in the water, which is meant to deactivate the virus. That leaves changing rooms and receptions, which are the risk in all indoor fitness type activity I guess. In theory the swimming might actually be safer than individual training in the gym, unless they're very young kids literally on top of each other.

Changing rooms these days seem to be more empty for kids' swimming, I don't know whether most places have reduced class numbers or staggered them but at any rate, even on that score things seem less bananas than usual. Maybe there's less people attending too.

I'm personally glad we seem to be at the stage where we're going to let kids be kids and get on with most of their school and activities, and accept any inherent risk that might pose to the rest of us. There are a lot of adult activities that can be shut down and that sucks for everyone, but nothing worse than a generation of kids preventing from having very fundamental childhood experiences like going to a playground, learning to swim, going to school and so on.

• Advertisement

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Doesn't the chlorine in the water kill virus's. So just the changing area to worry about? Plus children are less likely to carry I thought?

It was never that they were less likely to have it but the degree that it impacted them was lower and the conclusion from early studies was that there was lower transmission from younger children. Symptomatic children shed as much virus and can infect others to the same degree adults can but there isn't any evidence on how transmission from asymptomatic children.

They report on the outbreaks every week. The report up to the w/e last Saturday had no outbreaks identified as being from gyms but they could potentially be covered in 'Other'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Important to note that some cases could easily have been acquired in gyms or similar settings but this may never come to light e.g. Philip Nolan clarifies they don't go very far back in terms of contact tracing:

“Public health only ask me about my contacts for the 48 hours before I developed symptoms. They don’t need to know where I got the virus; that happened 5 days ago. They want to know where the virus is going, who I might have infected, and prevent onward transmission.
    “My contacts are tested, and unfortunately two of my family are infected. It’s now a household outbreak, and I am a case of community transmission. Even though I got it in a restaurant and brought it home.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-will-spiral-out-of-control-if-we-don-t-stop-people-mixing-in-dublin-s-bars-and-restaurants-says-nphet-expert-1.4358304

Important to note that some cases could easily have been acquired in gyms or similar settings but this may never come to light e.g. Philip Nolan clarifies they don't go very far back in terms of contact tracing:

“Public health only ask me about my contacts for the 48 hours before I developed symptoms. They don’t need to know where I got the virus; that happened 5 days ago. They want to know where the virus is going, who I might have infected, and prevent onward transmission.
    “My contacts are tested, and unfortunately two of my family are infected. It’s now a household outbreak, and I am a case of community transmission. Even though I got it in a restaurant and brought it home.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-will-spiral-out-of-control-if-we-don-t-stop-people-mixing-in-dublin-s-bars-and-restaurants-says-nphet-expert-1.4358304

Yeah, they had said the same about the numbers for 'travel related' cases, i.e. that they are most likely in there under community transmission.

And he also said:
    We know that in Dublin at least one in three cases are community transmission. Where is this happening? Wherever we mix socially: our houses, gyms, bars, restaurants. Sadly, unless we stop mixing in these settings, we know the disease will spiral out of control.

"We know that in Dublin at least one in three cases are community transmission. Where is this happening? Wherever we mix socially: our houses, gyms, bars, restaurants. Sadly, unless we stop mixing in these settings, we know the disease will spiral out of control"

A proportion (likely significant) of community transmission are just contacts that slipped the net, weren't provided, couldn't be contacted and passed it on to someone else etc etc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement