Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with identifying/killing a weed

Options
  • 06-04-2020 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

Two gardening threads in a week, it must be Corona...

Helpful gardening people, any chance you could take a look at the attached and shed some light for me, they are in a dip in the garden, as much as a foot tall and little to no grass beneath or coming through them... they look lily-pad like to me and the garden is wetter there because of the dip obviously.

Knowing next to nothing about anything in this forum, I'm thinking that I either need to buy something to kill the whole lot (but risk damaging the good grass?) or dig them all out? I'm not really too fussed either way but it's a massive area (maybe 10ft by 50ft at the furthest points) so it'll be some serious digging and then picking. I'm guessing after that I'll need to reseed and maybe need to build up the soil there to stop it happening again?

Any advice appreciated, I haven't a notion what I'm doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just mow it regularly, it won't survive being constantly cut.
    You may in the longer term need to build it up and sow some shade tolerant grass seed but see what happens first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Just mow it regularly, it won't survive being constantly cut.
    You may in the longer term need to build it up and sow some shade tolerant grass seed but see what happens first.

It survived a full year (March to September) of being mowed, always growing back a bit, and then obviously with a vengence over the winter and to now... Would seed take with so much coverage of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

possibly "coltsfoot" (Tussilago?)
    spreads by rhizomes ...
    Hoe it out!

Bixy wrote: »
    possibly "coltsfoot" (Tussilago?)
    spreads by rhizomes ...
    Hoe it out!

Hmm the leaves don't have as much of a straight edge as the pictures of that, and it's never flowered since we moved in a year ago (although our cutting last summer might have caused that).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

What weedkillers have you tried?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Winter heliotrope?

Winter heliotrope?

It actually does look quite similar to that https://images.app.goo.gl/D7AvcgT686UAv57c9 but we've never seen it flower so couldn't be sure

blackbox wrote: »
    What weedkillers have you tried?

Nothing yet! Only looking to tackle it properly now, the garden was low down the list of priorities when we moved in last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/lifestyle/undesirable-alien-winter-heliotrope-coming-into-flower-36452677.html

Agree with Magicbastarder, it is winter heliotrope, there is some info about it in the above link.

Cheers guys, best bet keeping cutting it regularly and add some more seed down to the area? The whole lawn is pretty weed-y in general so I'm going to hand-trowel the main offenders out and then fill and reseed their holes. I was going to throw down some grass food over both lawns then... Sound sensible?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The leaves in the picture look smooth - could they be violets at all?

Definitely Winter Heliotrope, Petasites fragrans.
    Mowing it regularly will have no positive effect whatsoever; it will regrow from small fragments of stem/root, similar to Japanes Knotweed. It's indifferent to shade/light also.
    Very, very difficult to eradicate, and you will need to eradicate it or live with it, it won't be controlled.
    A very wet drench of Glyphosate, get every single leaf. It will definitely at least partially return, so 6 weeks later rake off the dead foliage so you can see what you are dealing with, and nail it again.

New Home wrote: »
    The leaves in the picture look smooth - could they be violets at all?

No they don't match the pictures of that anyway unfortunately.

Definitely Winter Heliotrope, Petasites fragrans.
    Mowing it regularly will have no positive effect whatsoever; it will regrow from small fragments of stem/root, similar to Japanes Knotweed. It's indifferent to shade/light also.
    Very, very difficult to eradicate, and you will need to eradicate it or live with it, it won't be controlled.
    A very wet drench of Glyphosate, get every single leaf. It will definitely at least partially return, so 6 weeks later rake off the dead foliage so you can see what you are dealing with, and nail it again.

Similar to Japanese Knotweed sounds ominous. Certainly want to eradicate it anyway, it's taking up a large portion of the garden at the moment. I take it Glyphosate is going to kill any grass around it too?

http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/heliotrope_winter.htm this seems to suggest pulling up as much as possible, with regular mowing and rinse and repeat until it goes?

hots wrote: »
    Similar to Japanese Knotweed sounds ominous. Certainly want to eradicate it anyway, it's taking up a large portion of the garden at the moment. I take it Glyphosate is going to kill any grass around it too?
    Yes, glyphosate will kill any green foliage it contacts, so you will have some collateral damage at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

Winter heliotrope. The sooner you dig up those rhizomes the better

Cool, next question, we have what's been described to me as "old roundup" "the good stuff that's banned now"... that do the job? and then dig it all out, leave it a bit and then reseed?

I don't know what sort of weedkiller that is, make sure you are happy its safe. But yes, spray, prepare and reseed, although as stated you might need second spray of regrowth

Helpful gardening folks, I'm now looking at a see of brownish crispy leaves... what next? Can I mow over them to dispose? Or do I need to handpick the whole lot? I'm guessing I'll need to turn the soil and give it a good watering before lashing seed down next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not meaning to hijack the thread but I was just about to post a photo from my parents' garden that looks very similar to the Ops. I see from all the posts in here that it's been identified as Winter Heliotrope but in the two links posted, the leaves don't look to be glossy at all:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/lifestyle/undesirable-alien-winter-heliotrope-coming-into-flower-36452677.html
    http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/heliotrope_winter.htm

Whereas in our garden, the leaves have a definite high gloss to them (see attached). Is this also Winter Heliotrope, some related variant or something completely different?

Yeah mine weren't as glossy as yours I don't think. Can you get a picture of the stalks too maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Winter heliotrope - before you get zapping with the persistent poisons, please know that this has exquisitely scented flowers in the dead of winter: a drift of flowering perfume in January.

If you can dig up some of the roots and relocate to some dark, neglected spot, they will reward you eventually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Winter heliotrope is considered an invasive alien and your best bet if you dig it up is to ensure it can't grow anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jashar99

? yellow flower on it and tubers if you lift a little bit up like celadine
    useful link below
    https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/horticulture/vegetables/Illustrated_Guide_to_Horticultural_Weeds.pdf

If it helps in these trying times, the wide, smooth leaves are soft and downy on the underside, you could use them as emergency toilet paper. Zero Waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

MacDanger:
    Your pics look like Arum Maculatum / Lords & Ladies / cuckoo pint. Leaves usually variegated though.
    A native plant, but highly poisonous to children. Will spread easily.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

MacDanger wrote: »
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but I was just about to post a photo from my parents' garden that looks very similar to the Ops. I see from all the posts in here that it's been identified as Winter Heliotrope but in the two links posted, the leaves don't look to be glossy at all:

http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/heliotrope_winter.htm

Whereas in our garden, the leaves have a definite high gloss to them (see attached). Is this also Winter Heliotrope, some related variant or something completely different?
    Ceirseach wrote: »
    MacDanger:
    Your pics look like Arum Maculatum / Lords & Ladies / cuckoo pint. Leaves usually variegated though.

:)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113121260&postcount=556

Ceirseach wrote: »
    MacDanger:

No: really not.

Arum Maculatum has pointed, arrow-head shaped leaves.
    Winter Heliotrope has those flat, rounded kidney-shaped leaves. No possibility of confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Day Lewin wrote: »
    No: really not.

Arum Maculatum has pointed, arrow-head shaped leaves.
    Winter Heliotrope has those flat, rounded kidney-shaped leaves. No possibility of confusion.

Another plant has been introduced into the topic, it appears to be lesser celandine - the one with glossy leaves. Its not quite as much trouble as winter heliotrope but its not far behind.

Advertisement