Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with identifying/killing a weed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

looksee wrote: »
    Another plant has been introduced into the topic, it appears to be lesser celandine - the one with glossy leaves. Its not quite as much trouble as winter heliotrope but its not far behind.
    If it’s Lesser Celandine it should have yellow flowers now/March & April. Mystery solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tjjber

I had this in my garden, 99% sure it's winter heliotrope. I was tempted to leave it as it is an early pollinator and as such an early food source for bees. It's invasive and started to spread where I really didn't want it. It took two years of spraying with roundup to kill it. I covered the plants nearby with large sheets of polythene to protect them and only sprayed in the evening as there are a lot less bees about then. I sprayed it once a month from early April until July/August and the same again the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

MacDanger wrote: »
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but I was just about to post a photo from my parents' garden that looks very similar to the Ops. I see from all the posts in here that it's been identified as Winter Heliotrope but in the two links posted, the leaves don't look to be glossy at all:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/lifestyle/undesirable-alien-winter-heliotrope-coming-into-flower-36452677.html
    http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/heliotrope_winter.htm

Whereas in our garden, the leaves have a definite high gloss to them (see attached). Is this also Winter Heliotrope, some related variant or something completely different?

Celandine for my money. Heliotrope leaves are quite big, so if yours are small it can’t be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

tjjber wrote: »
    I had this in my garden, 99% sure it's winter heliotrope. I was tempted to leave it as it is an early pollinator and as such an early food source for bees. It's invasive and started to spread where I really didn't want it. It took two years of spraying with roundup to kill it. I covered the plants nearby with large sheets of polythene to protect them and only sprayed in the evening as there are a lot less bees about then. I sprayed it once a month from early April until July/August and the same again the following year.

Mine have gone nice and brown and crispy after one good dose so far, I'm planning to cut it this week and then dig up the roots that I can and then seed the area...

Advertisement