Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

krissovo wrote: »
    Central heating, duvets, coffee, fruit, jewelry, alcohol, gardens, cars, chocolate, anything else we should give up?

Take it to it's logical extent and we'd all be in sackcloth and bare feet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Antares35 wrote: »

I imagine if you live in an apartment with small children, and you have the option of using your house in the country for a couple of weeks so they can play outside in the garden and you can take walks etc. then it would make sense to use your second home. Plus, if residents are staying indoors except for essential trips and exercise, how will they catch the virus? Be interesting to know if there are any small, hidden away pubs operating under the radar just for the locals in these places. Probably.

If they are to do this, then they should be in FULL isolation there for 14 days to ensure no spread. Which I doubt they are doing. If parties going down to these areas doing 'essential' trips to a grocery shop, it's easy to see how it could be transmitted then. Unless of course the people going down to these places are bringing all of their items and not going to any shops for the duration of their visit (which I doubt they are).

I'm with the residents of these areas - they don't have the ICU or GP capacity to cope with spikes in these numbers like in larger cities, so understandable why they are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

If they are to do this, then they should be in FULL isolation there for 14 days to ensure no spread. Which I doubt they are doing. If parties going down to these areas doing 'essential' trips to a grocery shop, it's easy to see how it could be transmitted then. Unless of course the people going down to these places are bringing all of their items and not going to any shops for the duration of their visit (which I doubt they are).

I'm with the residents of these areas - they don't have the ICU or GP capacity to cope with spikes in these numbers like in larger cities, so understandable why they are concerned.

Where's your numbers for ICU capacity and GP coverage coming from? Do you think ICU beds in urban areas are exclusively for urban dwellers? Perhaps we should get on to the media or our local councillors if we hear a country accent in Tallaght hospital?

The usual story from the rural curtain twitchers "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too". Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

he rich Dubs have a lot in common with those Anglo Irish, treating rural Ireland as a summer playground and zero respect for the locals. In this Covid instance they are downright dangerous to communities. They come down here looking down their noses and are only laughing at us. Having a few of them burnt out of it and sent running back to Dublin might send a message that they are not welcome here to be coming down spreading the virus. We don't want their money and shops and business should refuse to serve them as long as this goes on.

Hilarious. The bitterness towards Dubliners. It's really odd that this attitude is so common around Ireland though, imagine being that narrow minded you think people from the houses in the fields down the road a bit are that different to you.
    Not to mention the fact that a huge percentage of Dubliners aren't from here.
    So many country people move to Dublin too and are very snobby about areas they choose to live in. I have never heard a country accent in my D5 estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Hilarious. The bitterness towards Dubliners. It's really odd that this attitude is so common around Ireland though, imagine being that narrow minded you think people from the houses in the fields down the road a bit are that different to you.
    Not to mention the fact that a huge percentage of Dubliners aren't from here.
    So many country people move to Dublin too and are very snobby about areas they choose to live in. I have never heard a country accent in my D5 estate.

Shhhhhh. Remember it's nothing but chimney sweeps, rickets and council flats North of the Liffey. Stick to that line so the country folk keep on crowding into overpriced kips in the even numbered postcodes only, just so they can tell Mammy they've moved into the good part of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Shhhhhh. Remember it's nothing but chimney sweeps, rickets and council flats North of the Liffey. Stick to line so the country folk keep on crowding into overpriced kips in the even numbered postcodes only, just so they can tell Mammy they've moved into the good part of Dublin.

That's what I mean, people moaning about D4 types, half of them are from other parts of Ireland! Those posh country types with kids with Oirishy names that speak gaeilge at home etc, I went to a Gaelscoil and most of the parents seemed to be these types from more affluent parts of the Northside.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Shhhhhh. Remember it's nothing but chimney sweeps, rickets and council flats North of the Liffey.

Haven't been across the river in a few weeks but in fairness to the boggers that description of the Northside sounds bang on.

In other news I saw a fella in boot cut jeans and a superdry jacket getting out of a mucky Corolla earlier, am getting on to my local councillor about sending these lads back where they belong, how dare they make unnecessary journeys to Dublin to use up our precious resources

This should not need to be explained to an adult. You were told to stay at home. Your holiday home is for holidays. You are not on holiday.

We have no idea what property is or isn’t to people. Maybe people that lost their jobs relocated? Maybe people whose circumstances changed moved?

There are many reasons why a person might move between properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Their concern is misplaced. This country isnt the US. People from rural areas are transported straight to an urban hospital ICU bed for treatment in very little time. The notion that there is a lack of care because 4 of the houses in your locality has occupants in it for 3 weeks is a sad fantasy of what evidently is an ill informed Doctor.

Im assuming this fool gets her news consumption from Facebook , the same place she forwards on her idiotic opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

You can't know they aren't abiding by the measures though, any more than we can know that the locals are ;)

• Advertisement

Pretty shocked that people are getting upset about the doctors comments.

It's akin to the kind of outrage you see on the daily mail with some Brits believing they are exceptional and who got angry when locals get annoyed with their lack of consideration.

At a very simple level, we have restrictions in place and you put the wider community at risk when you flout the measures. That's what happened here. Simple.

Pretty shocked that people are getting upset about the doctors comments.

It's akin to the kind of outrage you see on the daily mail with some Brits believing they are exceptional and who got angry when locals get annoyed with their lack of consideration.

At a very simple level, we have restrictions in place and you put the wider community at risk when you flout the measures. That's what happened here. Simple.

Firstly, If you believe this ****e from Facebook is real you're likely a bit thick.

Secondly, people can isolate from whichever of their properties they like. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Ballso wrote: »
    Firstly, If you believe this ****e from Facebook is real you're likely a bit thick.

Secondly, people can isolate from whichever of their properties they like. Simple.

The fact that you believe this statement doesn’t make it true. People were told to avoid non-essential journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

listermint wrote: »
    Their concern is misplaced. This country isnt the US. People from rural areas are transported straight to an urban hospital ICU bed for treatment in very little time.
    From Connemara? It takes at least an hour to drive to Galway city from Clifden. So, if an ambulance is called out to deal with some yahoo who doesn't need to be there, there could be a couple of hours wait to get someone else to hospital.

It's not just about ICU though. Supply chains are fairly stretched out to remote places like this at the best of times. The shortages we had in the cities recently were almost certainly a lot worse out in the sticks.

KiKi III wrote: »
    The fact that you believe this statement doesn’t make it true. People were told to avoid non-essential journeys.

Non essential journey ban came in a week ago, we had covid cases well before that. Plenty of time for people to go and get set up for isolation. Some journeys, like elderly people sharing with front line workers looking to use a second property to self isolate, are still essential journeys.

You've no idea why people are where they are, and it's none of your business.

plodder wrote: »
    From Connemara? It takes at least an hour to drive to Galway city from Clifden. So, if an ambulance is called out to deal with some yahoo who doesn't need to be there, there could be a couple of hours wait to get someone else to hospital.

It's not just about ICU though. Supply chains are fairly stretched out to remote places like this at the best of times. The shortages we had in the cities recently were almost certainly a lot worse out in the sticks.

Sounds like a stupid place to go in a pandemic then. If I were these lads I'd have headed up to my city apartment weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pretty shocked that people are getting upset about the doctors comments

And it was all a Facebook hoax.
    No doctor said anything of the sort, yet we've people threatening to burn families out of their houses.

Amazing. Crisis times bring out the best in some people and the worst in other people, really shows who are the leaders and who are the rats that turn on each other when faced with fear.

Yeah they can, it's the movement between them that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There has been a lot of praise for how Finland is handling the crisis. They have sealed off the capital & surrounding area from the rest of the Country. Maybe we should do the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I can understand people getting upset at gangs of people renting airbnbs but people who own property are free to move to a separate private residence.

I own a home on Achill island. My building supply store business was shut up by the government so my family and I upped sticks and moved down Almost two weeks ago. Best decision we made. Clean air, nice beach for a walk and peace and tranquility.

I understand people getting upset at the weekend warriors coming down. That's different.

• Advertisement

I can understand people getting upset at gangs of people renting airbnbs but people who own property are free to move to a separate private residence.

I own a home on Achill island. My building supply store business was shut up by the government so my family and I upped sticks and moved down Almost two weeks ago. Best decision we made. Clean air, nice beach for a walk and peace and tranquility.

I understand people getting upset at the weekend warriors coming down. That's different.

Exactly Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Discodog wrote: »
    There has been a lot of praise for how Finland is handling the crisis. They have sealed off the capital & surrounding area from the rest of the Country. Maybe we should do the same ?

Too late. Maybe we should have sealed off Galway County when the first cluster in Ireland appeared there, but there were more coming in over the border and in to different airports around the country.

It's also too late to stop people fleeing the cities to go to their parents houses in the countryside, further spreading the disease to the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Nermal wrote: »
    Have to chuckle at a doc ostentatiously accusing other people of being ‘rich and privileged’. What’s the medical term for a chronic lack of self-awareness I wonder?

What do doctors earn? There's a big difference between what junior hospital doctors make and what a 20 years consultant or resident neurosurgeon takes home.

KiKi III wrote: »
    I think the doctor is right on this one; fleeing a virus hotspot against government advice is a selfish move.

Denying people in need because you only want to look after yourself is a selfish move too.

It's natural for people to want to escape hardship and disease

Nermal wrote: »
    Have to chuckle at a doc ostentatiously accusing other people of being ‘rich and privileged’. What’s the medical term for a chronic lack of self-awareness I wonder?

You always get someone who trots out your kind of glib statement.

I earn 6 figures but am by no means wealthy as I'm a bloody spendthrift. That's said does my salary disqualify me from passing judgement on rich entitled pricks who earn maybe 7 figures and treat waiters like sh1t or bribe local councillors or drive drunk because the local gardai are in their pocket or who make life hell for the schoolteacher who reprimanded their snotty asshole of a kid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Gov needs to move very quickly on this now. They obviously didn't foresee that setting an 'end date' for Easter Sunday wasn't the best idea. Easy for people to justify heading off as sure they'll have Sunday & Monday to go where they want etc.

Needs a strong message combined with strong and prominent Garda activity to head this off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You've no idea why people are where they are, and it's none of your business.

I think it may well be everybody's business.

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Why would you think it is a good idea for them to head to a different area? The 2km rule is specifically there so people stick to their own locations and not be potentially spreading this virus with them when they travel. Also the main issue for a lot of people is that these “visitors” are not adhering to the social distancing/physical distancing rules when they are in the area. Thereby putting the local population at risk by their selfish behavior. It’s all good and well to go to your holiday home (if unnecessary travel wasn’t already banned) but they are not exactly self isolating or even social distancing when they get there. So why exactly should they be welcomed with open arms? This GP is not a native English speaker so it is possible that something has been lost in translation in terms of the tone of her post, then again maybe not. Maybe she meant exactly what she said and I wouldn’t say she’s alone in that sentiment.

People are worried and are not happy to see others swanning around their village with no regard for the locals and acting like they’re on their holidays while paying feck all heed to the rules.

Well said. And I might add that there is a reason why people are being urged (or even ordered) to refrain from travelling. It's called containment of the virus. Areas can only be determined as free of the virus if no outsiders actually go in and out of those areas. Allowing people to travel willy-nilly to any area they want completely defeats the purpose of isolating and localising the virus. It's not rocket science. It''s simple trouble-shooting much like trying to diagnose what's wrong with a defective computer. The thing doesn't start? You try a new power cable. It still doesn't start? You try that power cable on another device. The other devices starts up....you've ruled out one cause of the problem and move on to the next set of tests, etc., etc.

I can understand people wanting to feck off somewhere quiet. After all the thinking is...."what's the difference in being cooped up in the house in Dublin when we can be cooped up in our nice gaff in Galway and get a load of grub and booze and binge watch Netflix?" But they haven't read the fine print. Travel is restricted for a reason and that reason I've mentioned above. It would be different if it was some other kind of upheaval like social unrest, terrible natural phenomena that have wrecked the infrastructure at your primary location, a cataclysmic economic downturn that has left you with money in the bank but no real reason to stay put so that you might as well p1ss off to the sticks and sit it out and write your memoirs or something. But a viral epidemic that the authorities are trying to quell using a variety of tactics one of them being travel restrictions in a horse of a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I think it may well be everybody's business.

Would be if they were bumping into you coughing perhaps. Other than that, no.

One thing this sorry episode has revealed is how little distance stands between any western country like Ireland and a descent into totalitarian rule. Way less than I would have considered a few months back. Our respect for the individual and their freedom seems to be but a veneer of late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

topper75 wrote: »
    Would be if they were bumping into you coughing perhaps. Other than that, no.

One thing this sorry episode has revealed is how little distance stands between any western country like Ireland and a descent into totalitarian rule. Way less than I would have considered a few months back. Our respect for the individual and their freedom seems to be but a veneer of late.

I wouldn't worry too much. Social media amplifies the voices of those who screech the loudest. On high emotion issues like this it's more like being stuck beside the loudest, dimmest people in your town than a balanced representation of public opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement