Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

AulWan wrote: »
    I'll go against the grain here.

If somebody owns a holiday home in Connemara, then they are absolutely entitled to use it. Its their own property.

As long as they travelled down before the restrictions on movement were put in place, and are adhering to social distancing requirements, only shopping for essentials, etc. then no, I don't agree with the sentiments of the facebook post. It is mean spiritied.

I bet the same community who is complaining now, is very happy to accept of the income from tourists generated by those holiday homes being let out every summer.

Disclaimer: I don't have a holiday home in Connemara, but if I did, I would have travelled down at the start of this, and sat it out.

Would you be so quick to exert your right to use your property if there was an ebola outbreak where your cottage was located and the government was urging you to stay away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I wonder can you ask for a refund on that 2nd TV license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Would you be so quick to exert your right to use your property if there was an ebola outbreak where your cottage was located and the government was urging you to stay away?

Not the same situation, at all. Its actually a total reverse of the situation. Why would anyone rush into a hot zone? Stupid comparison.

Next time you quote me, please take the time to read the post in full.

I specifically stated that if people travelled before the restrictions on movement where put in place, then they were perfectly entitled to go where they wanted, and use their own property, as they wanted.

Though I can absolutely guarantee, I will never be tempted to holiday in Ireland again, at the disgraceful attitudes of some people here. I'd far rather spend my money rebuilding the Spanish or Italian economies.

I think everyone should focus more on themselves.

We don’t need to know the exact locations of every single case or cluster.

We don’t need to see paperwork from people to prove what is or isn’t their primary dwelling.

You follow the rules and stay home and you’ve nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Discodog wrote: »
    My boreen, that leads to the beach, is seeing lots of new visitors that we don't recognise. Everyone is talking about the influx of "strangers".

Put up a No Trespassing sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Though I can absolutely guarantee, I will never be tempted to holiday in Ireland again, at the disgraceful attitudes of some people here. I'd far rather spend my money rebuilding the Spanish or Italian economies.

I can assure you people in parts of Italy and Spain feel exactly the same as people in Connemara.
    My friend lives in Naples he blames the people from Lombardy who rushed down south when the lockdown being announced for his father catching the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,904 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wonder can you ask for a refund on that 2nd TV license?

Sure you could ask.
    If there is a telly in the house I guess their answer would be no.

I can assure you people in parts of Italy and Spain feel exactly the same as people in Connemara.
    My friend lives in Naples he blames the people from Lombardy who rushed down south when the lockdown being announced for his father catching the virus.

I was talking about when this is all over, obviously?

Duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭ForestFire

But "your right" is the choose which of the properties you own to go to, that has the least risk for you and your family... So you choose the one far away from this ebola outbreak epicenter...so if that's Dublin, Conamara, NY or Dubai, it doesn't matter....

Like people, in built up areas, decided to go to their homes in a more isolated area for this Covid outbreak. It's their home, their property, their land and their field....

(Again, as has been pointer out multiple times, before the travel restrictions came in and you follow the social distance rules)

I was talking about when this is all over, obviously?

Duh.

So why would the person in Italy or Spain be more deserving of your holiday cash when the same attitude prevailed in parts of those countries as it does it Connemara?

• Advertisement

So why would the person in Italy or Spain be more deserving of your holiday cash when the same attitude prevailed in parts of those countries as it does it Connemara?

I never said they were more deserving.

But I can choose to spend my holiday cash as I wish, and it will never be in Connemara again.

Long memory here too.

I never said they were more deserving.

But I can choose to spend my holiday cash as I wish, and it will never be in Connemara again.

Long memory here too.
    Just seems hypocritical tbh. No matter I doubt anyone here or in Connemara cares about your future holiday plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

Right. This is getting out of hand. I drive a D reg car and live not far from Letterfrack. Pulled up for diesel with the young fellow in the car and next thing, two gormless local idiots start screaming at us to go back to Dublin. Both this and the hateful and bigoted drivel in the comments section of the Connemara Notice Board on Facebook has gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

This pandemic certainly has shone a light on the deep down narrow-minded ideals that some people foster.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    And it was all a Facebook hoax.
    No doctor said anything of the sort, yet we've people threatening to burn families out of their houses.

Amazing. Crisis times bring out the best in some people and the worst in other people, really shows who are the leaders and who are the rats that turn on each other when faced with fear.

Incorrect. I have a screenshot of the WhatsApp group in which she wrote it. Obviously I will not be sharing it, but as I was somewhat dubious about its source, I received the screenshot as confirmation.

bizidea wrote: »
    Seems the doctor is french

Irony of ironies. Completely lost on the pitchfork wielding idiots screaming "No Blow-ins" on various fora.

Just seems hypocritical tbh. No matter I doubt anyone here or in Connemara cares about your future holiday plans.

So does taking people's money in the good times, but threatening to burn them out of their own property and run them out of the area in the bad ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Covid19 wrote: »
    Right. This is getting out of hand. I drive a D reg car and live not far from Letterfrack. Pulled up for diesel with the young fellow in the car and next thing, two gormless local idiots start screaming at us to go back to Dublin. Both this and the hateful and bigoted drivel in the comments section of the Connemara Notice Board on Facebook has gone too far.

Don't believe you with a username selection like that.

So does taking people's money in the good times, but threatening to burn them out of their own property and run them out of the area in the bad ones.
    So you think because an area benefited from tourist cash it should also throw down the welcome mat to potential carriers of the virus? Tell me anywhere in the world that would accept your logic?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Don't believe you with a username selection like that.

Don't you know no one tells lies on the internet. All honest souls I tell ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Gov needs to move very quickly on this now. They obviously didn't foresee that setting an 'end date' for Easter Sunday wasn't the best idea. Easy for people to justify heading off as sure they'll have Sunday & Monday to go where they want etc.

Needs a strong message combined with strong and prominent Garda activity to head this off.

People already bolting for it at night.

Even if they encounter a guard, what can they do, advise them to go home? That's it? What good is that when cute hoors will turn around and just get there a different way?

I believe the govt have let this one slip due to perfidity on the part of certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Discodog wrote: »
    My boreen, that leads to the beach, is seeing lots of new visitors that we don't recognise. Everyone is talking about the influx of "strangers".

Most likely locals. The ones that normally spend the weekend in the pub, bookies, molls, shopping centres etc... The "indoor types" that are at a loss where to go now.
    Incorrect. I have a screenshot of the WhatsApp group in which she wrote it. Obviously I will not be sharing it, but as I was somewhat dubious about its source, I received the screenshot as confirmation.

I just received a screenshot that it's a hoax in my WhatsApp group with the medical council of Ireland and my good friend Leo Varadkar. I won't be sharing it with you either.

Pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    I disagree with the offences againest the state act...but it is quite broad legislation,and similar anti-terrorism legislation is used worldwide in reaponce to this pandemic

Arrest and hold em for 12 to 72 hours

I think the "arrah shur it'll be grand" attitude has to stop. People will flee to their country boltholes, pack beaches when the sun comes out and all the guards can do is ask nicely.

Time for the big stick to come out if people don't heed instructions and deaths continue to rise.

So you think because an area benefited from tourist cash it should also throw down the welcome mat to potential carriers of the virus? Tell me anywhere in the world that would accept your logic?

Sigh, yet another poster who does not read posts correctly, and expect me to repeat myself. I've answered that question already.

But if you want to discuss logic, then the notion that an area is safe or can be made safe from infection is a totally illogical one. Unless every local has been sealed inside their own home and self-isolated since 29 February when the first case in Ireland was confirmed, then they too are a "potential carrier". Any local who made a trip to any other county with an confirmed case, or has been outside the country, could be the carrier who picked it up and carried it back to their own community. But its easier to demonise the "blow ins".

Also, there are non-locals moving in and out of every area every day, providing essential services and bringing in stocks and supplies for supermarkets, etc.
    I bet the food delivery trucks won't be turned back on the road as "potential carriers".

Once the restrictions were put in place, then no, I personally would not travel. And no one is asking for a welcome mat. But if it was a case like the sick man on this thread who travelled to self-isolate because he lives in the same house as a nurse on the front line, then damn right I'd tell him to go to where he feels safer, and the locals should mind their business.

Everyone go home, it's a proven fact when a screenshot of a WhatsApp group from a third party is mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

It doesn't. Come off it. Everyone knows that it's Ireland v Dublin in everything. Country people are only happy when they are having a go at Dublin. I'm sure once you venture outside our little gem of an island, people are far more open-minded. Why would you want to holiday here anyway? The weather is sh*te, everything is over-priced, the "friendly faces of Ireland" is a simpleton pimping exercise put on for the Americans with their deep pockets.

Give me Spain, France or Italy any day. I'd rather my chances with the Corona virus than a pitchfork wielding Neanderthal who wants to burn me at the stake :P

Sigh, yet another poster who does not read posts correctly, and expect me to repeat myself. I've answered that question already.

But if you want to discuss logic, then the notion that an area is safe or can be made safe from infection is a totally illogical one. Unless every local has been sealed inside their own home and self-isolated since 29 February when the first case in Ireland was confirmed, then they too are a "potential carrier". Any local who made a trip to any other county with an confirmed case, or has been outside the country, could be the carrier who picked it up and carried it back to their own community. But its easier to demonise the "blow ins".

Also, there are non-locals moving in and out of every area every day, providing essential services and bringing in stocks and supplies for supermarkets, etc.
    I bet the food delivery trucks won't be turned back on the road as "potential carriers".

Once the restrictions were put in place, then no, I personally would not travel. And no one is asking for a welcome mat. But if it was a case like the sick man on this thread who travelled to self-isolate because he lives in the same house as a nurse on the front line, then damn right I'd tell him to go to where he feels safer, and the locals should mind their business.

No point in replying to the above nonsense as you have already demonstrated an ability to be a hypocrite.

No point in replying to the above nonsense as you have already demonstrated an ability to be a hypocrite.

Ok then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You always get someone who trots out your kind of glib statement.

I earn 6 figures but am by no means wealthy as I'm a bloody spendthrift. That's said does my salary disqualify me from passing judgement on rich entitled pricks who earn maybe 7 figures and treat waiters like sh1t or bribe local councillors or drive drunk because the local gardai are in their pocket or who make life hell for the schoolteacher who reprimanded their snotty asshole of a kid?

Can i ask how someone who earns €2,000 a week and is thrifty manages to spend same.
    There are working families who live on less than this amount per month.
    Is that your place in Roundstone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭flazio

OK, turning this into a class war is skewing way off topic.
    Personally, I think it's easier to self isolate if you are in an isolated location. I see know harm in locking yourself away in a remote location provided you stay there and don't interact with the locals. Stock up before you go or avail of local delivery services.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement