Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

topper75 wrote: »
    Would be if they were bumping into you coughing perhaps. Other than that, no.

People are being asked not to travel for all the same reasons applied to stopping people from golfing, walking on the mountains, gathering in parks and beaches etc.

It'll be necessary for these people to make all sorts of daily interactions that they wouldn't make if they were back in their own normal home. Stopping for fuel, buying groceries, touching this, that and the other. Spreading virus if they have it.

You're conflating public safety measures with dictatorship - rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,904 ✭✭✭✭elperello

flazio wrote: »
    OK, turning this into a class war is skewing way off topic.
    Personally, I think it's easier to self isolate if you are in an isolated location. I see know harm in locking yourself away in a remote location provided you stay there and don't interact with the locals. Stock up before you go or avail of local delivery services.

If you are in an isolated location you have little choice but to make the best of it.

Just occurs to me that if one had traveled to a second home before the restrictions would you effectively be stuck there?

Would the ban on travel preclude you from going back to your main residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭plodder

People already bolting for it at night.

Even if they encounter a guard, what can they do, advise them to go home? That's it? What good is that when cute hoors will turn around and just get there a different way?

I believe the govt have let this one slip due to perfidity on the part of certain people.
    They have certainly let it slip though I'm not sure who you are referring to re: perfidity.

As far as I'm concerned there's no excuse for anyone to have gone to a holiday home even weeks ago. Anyone who reads or listens to the news would have known it was a major cause of the problem in Italy.

What part of 'stay at home' do people not understand? But, as you say there is nothing that can be done about it. There are no regulations enacted, no clear definitions that can't be twisted by people looking for loop holes to exploit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

plodder wrote: »
    They have certainly let it slip though I'm not sure who you are referring to re: perfidity.

Deliberate breach of faith or trust.
    The govt are clearly trusting people to have some degree of cop on.

People trying to justify themselves, real or feigned stupidity and outright piss taking.
    Along the lines of ah shur can't I drive 50k to arse end of nowhere (most likely the popular beach/beauty spot) and do my 2k walk? Can't I drive 100k "for food"?

Unfollowing this thread as there's too many irrational people.

It's simple :

a Restricted Travel

b Containment

There should not be an influx of cars to any holiday area at the weekends during this time or a and b are not being observed.

No excuses. You're not exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Hilarious. The bitterness towards Dubliners. It's really odd that this attitude is so common around Ireland though, imagine being that narrow minded you think people from the houses in the fields down the road a bit are that different to you.
    Not to mention the fact that a huge percentage of Dubliners aren't from here.
    So many country people move to Dublin too and are very snobby about areas they choose to live in. I have never heard a country accent in my D5 estate.

Your post is pretty accurate but unfortunately it is the same everywhere in Ireland including Dublin.
    Where i disagree with you and i may be wrong, how many of these people who live over the fields have you asked, what's life like for you? and take an interest in what their lives are like.
    I used to think in the past that people who asked too many questions when we meet were "nosey"
    More recently i have changed my view as i discovered some people are interested in comparing notes when they meet new people and for me this is good, i picked up this bad habit abroad though i grew up with it and hated it.

We are a nation of begrudgers, the one thing we do well is funerals where people go to be seen especially the politicians.
    RTE always make a big deal of such events.
    We tell the rest of the world of the "friendly Irish" this is rubbish,its insincere and tourist chit-chat.
    For me there is almost more responsibility for the more affluent people to make a bit more of an effort in the countryside as they are more street wise, quite alot of people in the country are completely overwhelmed with what the perceive as people who are completely out of their league in the area of intelligence.

Personally i think people are the most important part of any new trip, i may be odd but usually when i go abroad i go to where the natives live.
    I do not mean this as a criticism but i think city people are lucky that they can see a way of life totally different, it may be better to embrace this than be afraid of the unknown.
    What i always do whenever i go to any new place and i have done many times in Dublin, i will get up one morning very early 6/7 am and watch the town wake up, its very interesting anywhere.
    We should try to learn from each other, There are effen eejits everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Government is to put the lockdown powers on a legal footing tonight - senior ministers have met with Garda Commissioner this evening. Senior source says authorities want to use them "sparingly" but are keen to ensure compliance ahead of Easter weekend.

So the holiday home owners can stay the f**k at home.

BREAKING: Government is to put the lockdown powers on a legal footing tonight - senior ministers have met with Garda Commissioner this evening. Senior source says authorities want to use them "sparingly" but are keen to ensure compliance ahead of Easter weekend.

So the holiday home owners can stay the f**k at home.

Its clear the Government don't know what they are at , i heard a Minister at lunch today and he was asked about this.
    He said it was not for discussion for today's meet and decision be made later in the week, the usual tit=tat medical advise.
    They haven't a clue, when it was introduced they should have being enforcement powers.
    Its a bit like the NCT where we can have half a cert...

Its clear the Government don't know what they are at , i heard a Minister at lunch today and he was asked about this.
    He said it was not for discussion for today's meet and decision be made later in the week, the usual tit=tat medical advise.
    They haven't a clue, when it was introduced they should have being enforcement powers.
    Its a bit like the NCT where we can have half a cert...

There more people out and about the last couple of days with the good weather. People are frustrated at home. The govt know people will travel over the long weekend so they had to introduce the laws necessary.

It's not just people travelling to holiday homes. People will head of sightseeing or hiking etc. They need laws to stop people and deter this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This is clearly a class issue. Where I am is about as rural as you can get and it wouldn't bother me to have a corona virus sufferer from Dublin next door once he kept to himself and took the isolation seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,904 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's a bit like the old story about the Sergeant Major and the recruits.

First I ask you.
    Then I tell you.
    In the end I make you.

This is clearly a class issue. Where I am is about as rural as you can get and it wouldn't bother me to have a corona virus sufferer from Dublin next door once he kept to himself and took the isolation seriously.

I think people are worried about people arriving that don't realise they have the virus.....that don't stay indoors. That are contagious etc.

That's the spirit they are all welcome as long as we respect each others needs.
    You only think its a class issue from reading this rubbish.
    I never met a person yet who thought they had "class"

that actually had any "CLASS"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

People can be asymptomatic for up to 14 days. You are missing the point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Antares35 wrote: »
    Everyone knows that it's Ireland v Dublin in everything. Country people are only happy when they are having a go at Dublin.

Nonsense.

And there are Dubs making this a Dublin thread just like other posters are.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭XLR 8

Covid19 wrote: »
    On the Connemara Notices Facebook page, a post attributed to a local doctor states the following:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/332413683476478?view=permalink&id=3143694139015071

Here is the text from the Post. Lovely people altogether. Plus, hardly language and sentiment becoming of a Doctor given the current crisis.

From a local Dr in Connemara

To all the holiday homes owners who came down to Connemara during these hard times: we will remember you. You have increased the pressure on the food supply, the medical teams already overstretched, the staff in the shops and petrol stations. You have contributed to spread the pandemic to a rural area disregarding the rules. We know who you are and you will be named and blamed. We will not forget. You are the rich and privileged who think they can do as they please. As a doctor and member of this community I know how to recognize a psychopathic behavior : you have no empathy, no courage, no respect for the people of Connemara, and our environment that you treat like a playground.
    You have invaded the beaches and roads with your big SUV’s disregarding the recommendations.
    I don’t think you can feel shame but I feel you will not be made welcome anymore and watch out for the future .
    Dr Sophie Faherty

Sweet Jesus.

This doctor is 100% right. Can't see the point your struggling to make. Directions from goverment is stay at home for a reason. She is merely pointing out that a certain section of society seem to feel they are exempt or what's most likely is that they are thick as füķ. The good doctor is too polite to say this. I on the other hand am not so polite.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    People can be asymptomatic for up to 14 days. You are missing the point entirely.

No he is not we are advised to stay 2 metres from each other and if in doubt self isolate for 2 weeks.
    I do not agree with people going to holiday home but if its necessary for family health reasons i think these are the requirement.
    I myself decided to self isolate for two weeks as i was abroad and returned 12th...

No he is not we are advised to stay 2 metres from each other and if in doubt self isolate for 2 weeks.
    I do not agree with people going to holiday home but if its necessary for family health reasons i think these are the requirement.
    I myself decided to self isolate for two weeks as i was abroad and returned 12th...

If someone travels for family reasons as you've mentioned....that person knows they need to self isolate.

But people are afraid of others arriving who are unaware they are contagious. These people may go into local shops etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Yes, fine them and turn them back.

They are travelling from a county with 2,692 cases to a county with 112 cases. Unbelievable arrogance.

You are right...

Galway is doing well in relative terms with other counties. We would like to keep it that way. We keep this up we might get some restrictions lifted a little. Lets keep up the good work and stay at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I feel sorry for all the Corkwegians and Limerickwegians, they are being massively denied some proper city folk bigotry from your average mucksavage.

It just goes to show what a lack of imagination culchies have, especially those who live in scenic areas which Dubs are looking to takeover and monopolise, which can't really happen soon enough lately.

Ask the Wicklowwegians, they know the score (usually Dublin by about 10-15 points). They have been dealing with the evil Dubs for centuries now.

A notable mention also to Waterfordonians, I respect that the rest of the country is always ignoring and forgetting you, I actually thought Waterford was in Wales until I did my Inter Cert, true story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The Dubs are ruining it for everyone. Their inability to stay at home is forcing the government to introduce heavier restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Give Sam McGuire back aswell ye bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

But people are afraid of others arriving who are unaware they are contagious. These people may go into local shops etc.....
    No different to anyone else in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

TheChizler wrote: »
    No different to anyone else in the locality.
    Totally different if they are coming from dublin for example where there are a tonne more cases....so they are more likely to have it....no?

CowboyTed wrote: »
    You are right...

Galway is doing well in relative terms with other counties. We would like to keep it that way. We keep this up we might get some restrictions lifted a little. Lets keep up the good work and stay at home.

That's what is wrong with this effen country, Galway only interested in Gal and Dublin Dub, we should be working together.
    The Government effed up by not making it cumpulsory except exceptional need (ie medical of important family matter)
    I live 120km from Galway and needed to travel last Saturday.
    I never got out of the car except the one message i needed do urgent.
    I was concious the Gardai notices as reg different County (foreigner) a bit away.
    They did not pull me over but were behind in front in different lanes and pulled up on side two times.
    I'm sure they had my reg well checked out as they were there for about 10 mins, end of M6 to shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The Dubs are ruining it for everyone. Their inability to stay at home is forcing the government to introduce heavier restrictions.

The majority of the holiday homes in Connemara are owned by people from Galway or who's parents are from Galway.
    The planning laws for building in the area restricts non locals or people without a strong familial connection to the land.
    A lot of them would feel more at home in the country home than in their city home. I'm sure the ones that are there already are there for the long haul now, they won't be driving back to the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Nothing but petty class envy coming to the surface here.

If they're going down in a PRIVATE car to a PRIVATE home then what is the problem. It makes no difference health wise if they're in their home on the east coast or the west coast.

Interesting when the commies come out of hiding...never waste a good crisis eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nothing but petty class envy coming to the surface here.

If they're going down in a PRIVATE car to a PRIVATE home then what is the problem. It makes no difference health wise if they're in their home on the east coast or the west coast.

Interesting when the commies come out of the woodwork...never waste a good crisis eh
    You can opt for a private jet if you wish, but as of about an hour ago legislation was enacted to give the Guards the authority to tell you and anyone else who wishes to avail of a jolly in Conn or elsewhere to feck off back to your normal residence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gmisk wrote: »
    Totally different if they are coming from dublin for example where there are a tonne more cases....so they are more likely to have it....no?
    Dublin has roughly twice the cases per 100k than Mayo for instance, but the chance of getting it from an extra person with twice the tiny chance of having it than a local with a regular tiny chance of having it, is still a tiny chance. Their hygiene habits, or lack of, and physical distance they keep is likely to be a much greater risk factor than what County they've come from, so much so that I'd say where they come from is irrelevant. The food in the supermarket has likely been recently handled in a warehouse in or near Dublin anyway. We need to be focusing on the things that actually make a difference..

Now I'm only talking about this hypothetical person or the relative few that do travel, obviously if the whole country ignored the rules we'd be screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ballso wrote: »
    Jesus the bitterness of some country people is a sight to behold. People can stay wherever they like during the crisis. These bitter culchies will be straight back out with the begging bowl after this crisis is over, crying that they are "entitled" to urban peoples tax revenue

So the 2km rule doesn't apply to the rich with holiday homes? Ok got it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement