Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Thread title changed, now it actually resembles the content and sentiment of the article

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Agree with her but watch out for the future is a bit much. It's not the field

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

flazio wrote: »
    I love showing hard republicans threads like this.
    How can we unite the 32 counties when we can't even unite the 26.
    Yes, some assholes are fleeing a tough situation but that's why I think the Gardaí should be setting up checkpoints at the toll plazas (obvious slow down spot) and turning cars back who shouldn't be on the motorway.

I concur with the caveat they be positioned at the exit of the toll's, plenty room then to turn the fools around.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Gardaí should be running checkpoints on all the motorways in and out of Dublin. Half the population is here ffs. Obviously its where spread is most rampant.

If anything, this epidemic has shown the selfish people's true colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Fieldog wrote: »
    What gives you that idea?

The pandemic and Garda checkpoints everywhere will surely put pay to this not happening, and I agree, anyone who thinks it's okay to travel further than they are supposed to is contributing to the problem and spread of the virus...

Always the dubs to blame, very convenient for some, doctors included by the sounds of it... :D

I'd say there will be some who will think it would be OK to chance it judging be some of the behaviour we've witnessed over the last few weeks, I hope you're right and there will be Garda checkpoints to deal with this, not just in Dublin but in other urban centres and maybe in parts of the west turning anyone who has been missed back to where they came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Have to chuckle at a doc ostentatiously accusing other people of being ‘rich and privileged’. What’s the medical term for a chronic lack of self-awareness I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Nermal wrote: »
    Have to chuckle at a doc ostentatiously accusing other people of being ‘rich and privileged’. What’s the medical term for a chronic lack of self-awareness I wonder?

I think the main lack of self awareness belongs with the people who can't refrain from displaying the vulgarity of their wealth.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It is not flouting the regulations but it is annoying covid or no covid.

It is really. You are meant to stay within 2KM of your home unless going to shop. Going down to your holiday home is not essential

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Crazy people are treating it like a holiday, it shows the disregard they have if they view it as a time to go to the beach. Meanwhile the rest of us sick of the 4 walls we are living in.

However the tone in the post is very sinister and looks like a threat to all tourist or holiday home owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We'll cut the funding to the muck savages and see how long they survive.

Yes, cut the water, food and electricty to Dublin too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nermal wrote: »

Imagine a doctor being concerned for the health of her community, particularly when a rural community would not have the same access to medical care as city dwellers.
    Btw idiotic comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

They are also accessing the local playgrounds with their kids which have been closed by the county council and meeting up with people they know from other holiday homes in the area completely disregarding the requirement to not mix with people from outside your household. They have a complete disregard for the locals and their well-being in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is really. You are meant to stay within 2KM of your home unless going to shop. Going down to your holiday home is not essential

I have seen a fair few camper vans on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Genuine? I would have thought that anyone who was intelligent enough to be a doctor wouldn’t use Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think the fair doctor is totally right. And it is her health and her families health they are endangering because you can be sure that it is there to her surgery they will trot up with their covid and wheezes and diseases - and she will have to consider treating them. Her, or her fellow rural doctors who also want to go home to their families at night and gave a chance at keeping safe and healthy. Particularly if they are disregarding other rules and putting the whole community at risk. I applaude her post and sentiments entirely. Now if the shopkeepers would refuse to serve non locals - that might solve the problem entirely - but not everyone is as brave and honest as she is.

I've not been to Connemara (nor do I own a holiday home there.. just incase anyone's sharpening their spear!) but on the face of it, I would have assumed that anyone that had a little holiday home stashed away somewhere quiet would be doing everyone a favour by heading off to it, rather than staying at home?

More isolated, more space for your family to get out and about with bumping into hundreds of people, etc?

Based on the replies here, I'm obviously in the minority in thinking this, but what actually is the Doctor (quoted in the OP) trying to say exactly?

This alone:
    We know who you are and you will be named and blamed. We will not forget... you will not be made welcome anymore and watch out for the future.

Should have her struck off the medical register surely? That sounds very much like a threat to people, and how could you trust a doctor to not deliberately give you wrong diagnosis or medicines after writing that about the very population she's supposed to be serving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Collie D wrote: »
    Genuine? I would have thought that anyone who was intelligent enough to be a doctor wouldn’t use Facebook.

It can be utilised as a communication tool. Jesus some people are thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Agree with her but watch out for the future is a bit much. It's not the field

But It is the field, or at least if you can actually find it up there!!
    (Maybe just across the Mayo boarder, we did look for it once, but they all looked the same!!)

I do get what she is saying, which is basically,

I have a special set of skills,
    I know who you are,
    And I will find you......,:eek:

but if your a family, say from Galway city center, and some of you family is the the risk category, or your just very risk sensitive, you decide to move to an area when your risk is lowered for you and your family, is there anything really wrong with that?? (let assume you moved just before the fully lock-down or that weekend?)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Did someone in Scotland not lose their job for heading off to a holiday home!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I might not have used such strong language as the good doctor did but you can't really argue the point she is making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Interested to know would the same sentiment be applied to someone from the area, born and raised, working in Dublin, but returns to their family home, in Connemara, for the duration of the pandemic??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Knowing the "Weshties" from Connemara this will be the last time these people will have a holiday home to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Course it is, travelling for non essential matters is verboten.

Anyone who parks up at a holiday home should be clamped.
    Who defines home? Some retired people might spend 7 months a year in a holiday home in Cavan.

Some people coming from abroad self isolate in Dublin then return home to their families.
    fly_agaric wrote: »
    Could you explain?

My understanding is we are supposed to leave "home" for (roughly - I know there are other exceptions) shopping, food/medicine, essential work that cannot be done from home, exercise within a 2 km radius.

I don't think intention of this was that first people would travel 300 or so km to the rural "home away from home" they are lucky enough to own first before abiding by restrictions!

To be fair its an elaborate scenario that the guidelines dont pertain too. Rte described a situation where a vulnerable city person should go to their caravan in Wexford because their family home had a nurse. The measures don't prescribe this situation at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Collie D wrote: »

True, but it's probably the only way the idiots who are flouting the rules will become aware of what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If any silly bugger city slickers decide to go to their holiday homes be it Connemara or Wexford to wherever it is, they should be fined heavily because of the circumstances we are in currently, they are putting everyone else at risk...

I saw the Garda tweeting earlier on today that they came across cyclists up in Wicklow more than 30km from home, how were they allowed back home?

Should be dropped in a cell overnight, clearly not adhering to the guidelines...

boege wrote: »
    Did someone in Scotland not lose their job for heading off to a holiday home!:rolleyes:

Irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I might not have used such strong language as the good doctor did but you can't really argue the point she is making.

I would if people went to isolate in homes they own before it was restricted to do so.

You pay to have a home and go there and spend money in the good times, rather than in Spain etc, but when times go bad then shutters up?

Will they take their children back they have lost their jobs and are stretching Dublin hospitals?

Should be reported to Medical council imo for threatening people many of whom are elderly and frightened also.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I've not been to Connemara (nor do I own a holiday home there.. just incase anyone's sharpening their spear!) but on the face of it, I would have assumed that anyone that had a little holiday home stashed away somewhere quiet would be doing everyone a favour by heading off to it, rather than staying at home?

More isolated, more space for your family to get out and about with bumping into hundreds of people, etc?

Based on the replies here, I'm obviously in the minority in thinking this, but what actually is the Doctor (quoted in the OP) trying to say exactly?

This alone:

Should have her struck off the medical register surely? That sounds very much like a threat to people, and how could you trust a doctor to not deliberately give you wrong diagnosis or medicines after writing that about the very population she's supposed to be serving?

Why would you think it is a good idea for them to head to a different area? The 2km rule is specifically there so people stick to their own locations and not be potentially spreading this virus with them when they travel. Also the main issue for a lot of people is that these “visitors” are not adhering to the social distancing/physical distancing rules when they are in the area. Thereby putting the local population at risk by their selfish behavior. It’s all good and well to go to your holiday home (if unnecessary travel wasn’t already banned) but they are not exactly self isolating or even social distancing when they get there. So why exactly should they be welcomed with open arms? This GP is not a native English speaker so it is possible that something has been lost in translation in terms of the tone of her post, then again maybe not. Maybe she meant exactly what she said and I wouldn’t say she’s alone in that sentiment.

People are worried and are not happy to see others swanning around their village with no regard for the locals and acting like they’re on their holidays while paying feck all heed to the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I'll go against the grain here.

If somebody owns a holiday home in Connemara, then they are absolutely entitled to use it. Its their own property.

As long as they travelled down before the restrictions on movement were put in place, and are adhering to social distancing requirements, only shopping for essentials, etc. then no, I don't agree with the sentiments of the facebook post. It is mean spiritied.

I bet the same community who is complaining now, is very happy to accept of the income from tourists generated by those holiday homes being let out every summer.

Disclaimer: I don't have a holiday home in Connemara, but if I did, I would have travelled down at the start of this, and sat it out.

• Advertisement

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Why would you think it is a good idea for them to head to a different area? The 2km rule is specifically there so people stick to their own locations and not be potentially spreading this virus with them when they travel. Also the main issue for a lot of people is that these “visitors” are not adhering to the social distancing/physical distancing rules when they are in the area. Thereby putting the local population at risk by their selfish behavior. It’s all good and well to go to your holiday home (if unnecessary travel wasn’t already banned) but they are not exactly self isolating or even social distancing when they get there. So why exactly should they be welcomed with open arms? This GP is not a native English speaker so it is possible that something has been lost in translation in terms of the tone of her post, then again maybe not. Maybe she meant exactly what she said and I wouldn’t say she’s alone in that sentiment.

People are worried and are not happy to see others swanning around their village with no regard for the locals and acting like they’re on their holidays while paying feck all heed to the rules.
    You have no evidence for this.

No evidence that people who go to their second homes are in contact with more people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement