Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This discussion reminds me of the stories about when pubs were closed to locals on Sundays and you could only get a drink if you were a bona fide traveller. To qualify you had to be 3 miles from your home address.

The proof accepted by Guards raiding in Dublin was a stamped and postmarked envelope addressed to yourself.

The serious drinkers would have two envelopes, one to themselves at a Northside address and another to a Southside address. Armed with this "proof" they could go on the beer for the day with no worries about a summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Gardaí said the other day, if you’ve gone to your holiday home then stay there until this is all over- your parents have done nothing wrong- and seen as they are elderly locals won’t care or think that they’re flouting rules- and considering they’ve been there since March and cocooning there’s even less to worry about

Thanks,

No issues with any locals as far as I know, they are just a bit worried about some of the things they have seen on social media and heard on the radio.

It's not so much a holiday home to them as they spend a fair part of the year up here and the rest back home. They were contemplating moving up fully but just suits them not to at the moment.

On the other hand I do understand why locals would be worried about an influx of holiday makers at this time.
    I just worry some might take things a bit far in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Is that a good idea, calling in to multiple shops just to see how many D reg cars have stopped? Particularly now that it's become clear that the "Doctors" post is a hoax and it was false news that Dubliners were leaving the city in droves.

Hi. Not a hoax, I'm afraid. She posted her sentiments on a WhatsApp group, informed one of the members to share it wildly, which he gleefully did, and then she promptly disappeared off the radar. She's not on social media. I have a screenshot of the original post..A careless and knee-jerk reaction on her part which has become a catalyst for much uninformed bigotry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Covid19 wrote: »
    Hi. Not a hoax, I'm afraid. She posted her sentiments on a WhatsApp group, informed one of the members to share it wildly, which he gleefully did, and then she promptly disappeared off the radar. She's not on social media. I have a screenshot of the original post..A careless and knee-jerk reaction on her part which has become a catalyst for much uninformed bigotry.

For someone that wishes to suggest they are a 'Garda' you seem determined to cause her as much danger as you can. What's your agenda? Hers is to protect her community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Presumably they take a note of reg numbers they know right well to be breaking the rules, and tell them to turn back. If the car is then seen again approaching the locale via another road without good reason they could end up in court.

One would hope so but sounds a bit too sophisticated for our force!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

OK, fair enough. Bloody hell, bit of a sly move by the doctor on the person that shared it, I'm guessing an over 60's male that's not to media savvy?

I'm got a few WhatsApp claims from friends in Wexford, Galway, Clare and Donegal about the hoards of people arriving from Dublin, all hearsay and second hand gossip which have all turned out to be untrue when they checked things out properly. I do a bit of work for a haulage company and the truckers were saying it was all single occupant cars, vans and trucks that were backed up by the checkpoints. Not families in cars with roof boxes.

Frightening times, but not the time for hysterics and vigilantism. It's time for calm, restraint, altruism and helping each other.

....and while we're admiring Mr. Nolan's Pulitzer worthy efforts (I'd draw my blinds if you live near him btw), let's **** every Wexford native out of their Dublin hospital beds tonight and make some room for the locals.

Godforsakin' land of squinting windows.

So are you saying I'm grand to travel to my holiday home because there are culchies in hospitals in Dublin?

What about "don't travel"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If she is not on social media how did it get here.
    Only for this thread i would never have being aware of this going on.
    I think the guidelines should have being law from day one, that's not her job.
    I thought this story die after new announcement by Commissioner yesterday.
    Qddly enough when he was making the statement the Minister for Justice was with Sean O'Rourke saying something else.
    I have a friend who says "he should not have said that" then i say why and he replies "because its the truth"
    I hope people just get on with their lives, I had decided i was not going to post on this again but saying somebody is stating "uninformed bigotry"
    Well if if it is it was able to get the law changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Maybe all the medical staff from Dublin who are travelling to Cavan to make sure the hospital remains staffed shouldn't travel either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

AulWan wrote: »
    Maybe all the medical staff from Dublin who are travelling to Cavan to make sure the hospital remains staffed shouldn't travel either.

That's classed as essential travel. And we should be thankful to them.

• Advertisement

Do you really think this? That it's exactly the same?

Have another swig/puff of whatever you on... goodnite....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Have a very serious word with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

F

What part of essential travel do you not understand?

What part of essential travel do you not understand?

Oh I understand it very well. But I'm sick of the attitude I'm reading here. Where elderly people who travelled weeks before there were restrictions are feeling worried enough that they are considering leaving their safe haven to go back to Dublin.

"Don't come down here" "Fook off home" ...

But we'll happily let Dublin medical staff come down and look after our sick.

My patience has run out with fooking hypocrites.

Oh I understand it very well. But I'm sick of the attitude I'm reading here. Where elderly people who travelled weeks before there were restrictions are feeling worried enough that they are considering leaving their safe haven to go back to Dublin.

"Don't come down here" "Fook off home" ...

But we'll happily let Dublin medical staff come down and look after our sick.

My patience has run out with fooking hypocrites.

You know Cavan is north of Dublin not like Connemara which is West. Just as well you'll never holiday in Ireland I suspect you'd get lost at the end of your drive.
    Your have demonstrated you are no different than the people you castigate with you own attitude. You may not know what the word means but you have shown you are the worst type of hypocrite, one who is ignorant of their own hypocrisy.

Well, if you can't beat them, join them.

Looking forward to visiting Sicily again, Summer 2021 hopefully.

Well, if you can't beat them, join them.

Looking forward to visiting Sicily again, Summer 2021 hopefully.

You're joining noone. You wishing to deny medical care to people in Cavan hospital is all you. Own your nastiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

So are you saying I'm grand to travel to my holiday home because there are culchies in hospitals in Dublin?

What about "don't travel"?

Sarcasm never did travel well on the interweb. You reported it, Budgese, Nolan wrote it.

Blessings on all Wexford people in Dublin tonight, in or out of hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Sarcasm never did travel well on the interweb. You reported it, Budgese, Nolan wrote it.

Blessings on all Wexford people in Dublin tonight, in or out of hospital.

And blessing to our CMO Dr Holohan (from Limerick) and his Deputy CMO Dr Glynn (from Galway)...........culchies both living in Dublin but serving the entire country...plus all the other medical culchies up there in the big smoke looking after sick people.

I will, thanks.

IF THIS THREAD IS A TRUE REFLECTION OF WHAT WE ARE LIKE AS A PEOPLE AND I HAVE NO REASON TO THINK THIS IS NOT THE CASE IT TELLS TO ME THAT.
    IRISH PEOPLE IN GENERAL "ARE SELFISH AND NOT NICE"
    THAT IS PEOPLE FROM THE CITY AND THE COUNTRY. WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING TOGETHER FOR EVERYBODY'S WELFARE AND WE ARE SQUABBLING ABOUT HOLIDAY HOMES AND SUV/JEEPS.
    WHAT ARE WE LIKE??
    I AM DISGUSTED WITH WHAT I HAVE READ HERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Some people are idiots, and selfish.

IF THIS THREAD IS A TRUE REFLECTION OF WHAT WE ARE LIKE AS A PEOPLE AND I HAVE NO REASON TO THINK THIS IS NOT THE CASE IT TELLS TO ME THAT.
    IRISH PEOPLE IN GENERAL "ARE SELFISH AND NOT NICE"
    THAT IS PEOPLE FROM THE CITY AND THE COUNTRY. WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING TOGETHER FOR EVERYBODY'S WELFARE AND WE ARE SQUABBLING ABOUT HOLIDAY HOMES AND SUV/JEEPS.
    WHAT ARE WE LIKE??
    I AM DISGUSTED WITH WHAT I HAVE READ HERE.

If you think this thread is about nothing other than holiday homes and SUV's it's clear you haven't a clue what you are shouting about .
    Writing everything in CAPs is quite ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

How does this original whatsapp post compare with what Gerald Allen posted on the Cannemara Facebook site?
    Did it include phrases like;" we know who you are"?
    Why would she say that to a whatsapp group?
    When she gave permission to share it 'widely', I wonder , did she know the sh1tstorm it would start?
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    OK, fair enough. Bloody hell, bit of a sly move by the doctor on the person that shared it, I'm guessing an over 60's male that's not to media savvy?
    I'd guess, the opposite is the case.
    She may the one not media savvy, and her post manipulated by one who is after all administrator of the Connemara facebook site

How does this original whatsapp post compare with what Gerald Allen posted on the Cannemara Facebook site?
    Did it include phrases like;" we know who you are"?
    Why would she say that to a whatsapp group?
    When she gave permission to share it 'widely', I wonder , did she know the sh1tstorm it would start?

I'd guess, the opposite is the case.
    She may the one not media savvy, and her post manipulated by one who is after all administrator of the Connemara facebook site

I think the OP of this thread despite his claims to the contrary has his own nasty agenda, it seems to be personal against the doctor in question. His motives to me are very suspect.

I don’t see any reports on the news about crowded scenic towns like Clifden, Dingle etc so far - there’s been great visibility and widespread publicity on this topic over the last few days- I’d say most who intended going thought better of it. I hope Those who have travelled are starting to feel rather stupid- doesn’t look like they’ll get any type of welcome from the locals anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Kilkee seems to be a right sh1t storm waiting to kick off.

Ok you've threatening posters on holiday homes, which aren't polite and are instilling fear in the middle classes.

Then you've obviously someone who didn't adhere to the rules, drive to their holiday home opened their door and found the A4 poster.
    Then complained about that, while willingly they themselves are outing themselves as a webble who flaunted the restrictions.

Or else some prankster decided to make a poster, paste it to a block wall and let it go viral.

Anyone who's flouting the rules should be fined on the spot, no compromise.

And if they try to take a long cut to avoid the road blocks and get caught a second time, double it and so on.

This virus is really show up a lot of good in people but the Kilkee situation doesn't reflect the rest of us in Clare

Anyhow those West Clare lads are a different breed to us Northern Clare people, we're more laid back and less wild and a bit more refined up here.

Only joking about the differences, but just leave it for this weekend guys, we'll welcome ye when this all blows over as you're great people and if we've been hospitable to ye over the year's, now its time ye just stay at home like us.

Ain't nobody from the west of Ireland rushing in our droves to watch tumble weed dancing around Grafton Street, and admire foxes running over the hay penny Bridge.

G'luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Good old fashioned Irish envy and bigotry masquerading as public health concerns.

People who've worked hard to buy a holiday home are entitled to enjoy them.

Anyone who wants to live in a police-state should move to one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement