Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Bumper to bumper on the N11 (not)

0345.jpg

The general consensus is that people have already travelled, there are a sizable amount of visitors in Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

thelad95 wrote: »
    The general consensus is that people have already travelled, there are a sizable amount of visitors in Wexford

Except they didn't. What you're seeing in Wexford are locals. The perceived increase are the people that normally spend their day in pubs, bookies, shopping centres, shops, molls etc... They have nothing to do so they're visiting the beaches and parks for the first time in their lives. We have the same issue here in Dublin.

There hasn't been a huge departure from the cities. The campsites are closed, the mobile homes are shut, the gates are locked.

Take a break from social media and the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I work in Dun Laoghaire and live just outside Gorey. M11 was quiet yesterday at 2.30/3pm.

There's a mobile home park behind my house and it's empty.

On a normal bank holiday there would be a steady stream of people walking past my place into the village and pubs. Not this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

thelad95 wrote: »

The general consensus is generally safe to ignore, generally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Just confirmed that there's an infiltration in West Clare now, loads of cars from the east side parked up in supermarkets on the west side.
    Buying their shopping etc

Seen two camper vans in the village with UK regs, it wasn't hard to hear them in the shop, they looked like refugees after arriving in the land of honey and fields of green.
    Id say they came in through the ferry early in the morning.

I just don't understand why they cannot abide by the suggestions.

Some people are absolutely ruthless, anyhow I'd say after this a lot of holiday homes will be repossessed as supposedly salaries for CEOs are going to be slashed to keep on work forces.

This will be unfortunate for the ive 5 houses brigade, from Park Avenue to wherever..

I've a tent ill be alright Jack :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

nthclare wrote: »
    Just confirmed that there's an infiltration in West Clare now, loads of cars from the east side parked up in supermarkets on the west side.
    Buying their shopping etc

Seen two camper vans in the village with UK regs, it wasn't hard to hear them in the shop, they looked like refugees after arriving in the land of honey and fields of green.
    Id say they came in through the ferry early in the morning.

I just don't understand why they cannot abide by the suggestions.

Some people are absolutely ruthless, anyhow I'd say after this a lot of holiday homes will be repossessed as supposedly salaries for CEOs are going to be slashed to keep on work forces.

This will be unfortunate for the ive 5 houses brigade, from Park Avenue to wherever..

UK holiday makers should be turned around at port and sent back on next ferry .... disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

So, the regulation has been extended to May 5th at least which means anyone who got to the holiday home ahead of it being signed this week, has to stay there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

personally would have loved to escape the city i live in, as we normally spend 2 weekends each month of the summer out of the city, visiting parents in our home counties, visiting friends etc... but we stayed put, exercised locally and shopped at quiet times and again locally...

i can understand the frustration from locals in certain popular destinations if they fear an influx of visitors is increasing their chance of catching the virus, but of course we cant know everyone's circumstances that we meet, so abuse or intimidation is way out of line imo

UK holiday makers should be turned around at port and sent back on next ferry .... disgrace.

Absolutely, I think its great too hearing the high and mighty being turned around and told, no no no

The I'm so and so and we go here every year's not working, these young guards are not having any of it.

Whether you're driving a clapped out banger tent in the back surfboard strapped to the rack or 7 series 201 BMW full of family.
    It doesn't matter.

Just turn around and go home, go home like a good lad...

Bbbbbut but I'm so and so and annn and... We don't give a sh1t now do you do a U turn and back to Castletroy or Cratloe or Tullyglass.. Tullyvarraga, or Malahide.
    And Mick, send out this reg to the system they might try going through Inagh and taking the back roads.

Little do they know they're going to hit a check point there, and the Corofin Gort roads being watched too... As well as the Kinvara route to the Burren

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

People of north Clare must be protected from irresponsible travelers during this crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

saabsaab wrote: »
    People of north Clare must be protected from irresponsible travelers during this crisis.

Don’t tell me the “Travelers” are on the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I live in county Dublin and on a weekend like this the place would usually be jammed with day trippers. Today (thankfully!) the

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I live in county Dublin and on a weekend like this the place would usually be jammed with day trippers. Today (thankfully!) there is complete peace and quiet. We have seen two non locals. But I am wondering... is it because everyone is being compliant or because the ones who would be here have already travelled to the country??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Don’t tell me the “Travelers” are on the move!

Travellers are on the move, I had to change the locks on a house today that they vacated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

People are just lovely aren't they?

Why are British holiday makers still being allowed off the ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

nthclare wrote: »

Sounds to me like you are more concerned about getting one up on people than really caring about keeping the virus out. Just pure begrudgery, enjoy!

They've to bring some messages their long lost aunt in Balkygobackwards and Crossmylineyah, then visit their nephew on Achill, dropping by Jimmine in Waterville and a few hours fishing for smoothhounds in Wexford, back then to St Mullins for a few shad, because being avid anglers they need to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

<*squints*> do you believe everything you read?

hmmm wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you are more concerned about getting one up on people than really caring about keeping the virus out. Just pure begrudgery, enjoy!

Sounds to me that you've made a good point, point taken.
    Sorry if I upset you and stimulated that response.
    You'll have free rent in my head for the next few minutes, I'll think about the lake down the road, you're welcome to join us on the dark side of the Burren, when this subsides... Hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

How does this original whatsapp post compare with what Gerald Allen posted on the Cannemara Facebook site?
    Did it include phrases like;" we know who you are"?
    Why would she say that to a whatsapp group?
    When she gave permission to share it 'widely', I wonder , did she know the sh1tstorm it would start?

I'd guess, the opposite is the case.
    She may the one not media savvy, and her post manipulated by one who is after all administrator of the Connemara facebook site

It's printed verbatim. Unfortunately. I'll pm you the pic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You'd swear Dubliners were the only people in the entire country who own holiday homes going by this thread.

It's not that really, it's that Dublin is the hotspot. Somebody travelling from their rural main home to their rural holiday home is very unlikely to have covid-19 relative to a Dublin resident.

I think the OP of this thread despite his claims to the contrary has his own nasty agenda, it seems to be personal against the doctor in question. His motives to me are very suspect.

My Agenda is simple. To highlight the bigotry and nastiness in the comments section of the linked Facebook thread, which I can only assume you didn't read, on foot of a post by a Doctor on a WhatsApp group in which she invites all on the group to share. One of the individuals, in typical knee jerk fashion and without being particularly media-savy, posted the statement on the Connemara news board and the ensuing calls for vigilantism, bigotry towards Dubs and threats to property prompted me to highlight it. It's really as simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less.

I might also add that the Doctor in question, if indeed she did write the post, has not uttered a word on her sentiments which, although horribly worded and quite threatening, should have simply asked those thinking of travelling to stay at home, which I agree with. The lady in question is French and sometimes venting your frustrations in an unfamiliar language does not often translate well. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just back from Wexford, I moved my holiday home for fear of it being burnt out

gyspy-traveller-caravan.png

Should roadblocks be erected in Dublin to stop country people living or working there? Or is this a one-way thing?

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The thread's long past any discussion. It's just catnip for two types of mentally disturbed people : those with a chip on their shoulder about Dubs and those with a propensity to lose their head in any crisis and search desperately for someone to vilify.

Objective evidence of an influx of restriction breaching urbanites to rural Ireland is non existent. Evidence of fake news on social media to stir up a panic on the issue is abundant. The data suggests that the restrictions are largely working in slowing the rate of infection.

If there was ever a thread that needed Aonghus Von Bismarck to chip in with some snooty put down of Connemara people and Dubs alike this is it.

Agreed. I think it's time to wrap this one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

hmmm wrote: »
    Should roadblocks be erected in Dublin to stop country people living or working there? Or is this a one-way thing?

The checkpoints are to stop non essential travel, as you well know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe they were in the country already when the restriction came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I asked you to repost the CAPs rant, you have refused. Not interested in engaging with you further.

I did not see you asking re-post, i can if you wish with exact same message in lower case and in writing you understand.
    You got message and commented on same.
    So what is it you want from me?
    I think i have great fun chatting with you...

pablo128 wrote: »
    The checkpoints are to stop non essential travel, as you well know.
    The posts on Facebook are targeting 'D' reg cars. How do they know whether its essential travel or not, everyone seems to be assuming that somebody driving one of these is on holidays. Why should someone in Dublin driving a non-D regged car be treated any differently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe they were in the country already when the restriction came in.

Watched news and there's clearly UK arrivals. What are we doing letting them in. We're all doing our best to adhere to restrictions.......this enraged me. Send them the f**k back.

Irish people are house bound until 5th May at least and officials are letting these people in at the ports......f**king joke.

https://extra.ie/2020/04/10/news/irish-news/ferry-passengers-lockdown-ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement