Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

hmmm wrote: »
    The posts on Facebook are targeting 'D' reg cars. How do they know whether its essential travel or not, everyone seems to be assuming that somebody driving one of these is on holidays. Why should someone in Dublin driving a non-D regged car be treated any differently?

There's your problem right there. Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Should roadblocks be erected in Dublin to stop country people living or working there? Or is this a one-way thing?

Yes they should build a big wall around Dublin. And make it into a country, with passport too. So you'll have NI, Ireland and then Dublin.

Watched news and there's clearly UK arrivals. What are we doing letting them in. We're all doing our best to adhere to restrictions.......this enraged me. Send them the f**k back.

Irish people are house bound until 5th May at least and officials are letting these people in at the ports......f**king joke.

https://extra.ie/2020/04/10/news/irish-news/ferry-passengers-lockdown-ireland

well you certainly sound "enraged". Leo Varadker said himself this afternoon that the amount of people coming in to Ireland by ferry was minimal. https://www.thejournal.ie/tourists-holidaymakers-ferries-varadkar-5071989-Apr2020/

He does not want Ireland turning in to the Valley of the Squinting Windows - his exact words.
    Most people on the N11 yesterday according to An Garda Siochana spokesman today were legitimate.

Relax, deep breaths, calm down.

nthclare wrote: »
    Just confirmed that there's an infiltration in West Clare now, loads of cars from the east side parked up in supermarkets on the west side.
    Buying their shopping etc

Seen two camper vans in the village with UK regs, it wasn't hard to hear them in the shop, they looked like refugees after arriving in the land of honey and fields of green.
    Id say they came in through the ferry early in the morning.

I just don't understand why they cannot abide by the suggestions.

Some people are absolutely ruthless, anyhow I'd say after this a lot of holiday homes will be repossessed as supposedly salaries for CEOs are going to be slashed to keep on work forces.

This will be unfortunate for the ive 5 houses brigade, from Park Avenue to wherever..

I've a tent ill be alright Jack :)

maybe you should have a read of this https://www.thejournal.ie/tourists-holidaymakers-ferries-varadkar-5071989-Apr2020/

straight from Leo Varadkers mouth and a spokesman from An Garda Siochana today. Relax, deep breaths, calm down.

People are just lovely aren't they?

Why are British holiday makers still being allowed off the ferry?

Read this - don't believe everything you see on Facebook.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tourists-holidaymakers-ferries-varadkar-5071989-Apr2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Covid19 wrote: »
    On the Connemara Notices Facebook page, a post attributed to a local doctor states the following:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/332413683476478?view=permalink&id=3143694139015071

Here is the text from the Post. Lovely people altogether. Plus, hardly language and sentiment becoming of a Doctor given the current crisis.

From a local Dr in Connemara

To all the holiday homes owners who came down to Connemara during these hard times: we will remember you. You have increased the pressure on the food supply, the medical teams already overstretched, the staff in the shops and petrol stations. You have contributed to spread the pandemic to a rural area disregarding the rules. We know who you are and you will be named and blamed. We will not forget. You are the rich and privileged who think they can do as they please. As a doctor and member of this community I know how to recognize a psychopathic behavior : you have no empathy, no courage, no respect for the people of Connemara, and our environment that you treat like a playground.
    You have invaded the beaches and roads with your big SUV’s disregarding the recommendations.
    I don’t think you can feel shame but I feel you will not be made welcome anymore and watch out for the future .
    Dr Sophie Faherty

Sweet Jesus.

From reading this it would seem that the people of Connemara never want another tourist again.
    Of course why should they -- they are getting handouts under various guises including, for supposedly speaking Irish .

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

https://www.thejournal.ie/tourists-holidaymakers-ferries-varadkar-5071989-Apr2020/
    "Varadkar said the number of people coming in by ferry is “really minimal” and that the number of people coming in on flights is down 95%, “and those who are, are Irish people are citizens returning home”"

All it takes is one person to spread it; the disease ultimately spread from one person around the world. Its reckless for him to say numbers are "really minimal."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

plodder wrote: »
    So, the regulation has been extended to May 5th at least which means anyone who got to the holiday home ahead of it being signed this week, has to stay there now.

Though i kindof agree with you.

I need a comment on something i heard today from saying that anyone who wanted return to their normal family should be allowed pack up everything they need in car and to this non-stop journey.

People now realize whats what is happening ad be better find a long term solution.
    Having to stay where you not want to be and are not wanted for a Month not good for anyone.

I was talking to friend an hour ago and they need to make a 400km round family trip yesterday.
    They rang Gardai and explained and were given the ok, they were stopped three times on the trip and all ok.
    I think allowing the people who made the mistake of travelling return home with conditions be better than keeping problem live.

Good Friday forgiveness time. Hopefully powers will take initiative and help get people back to as normal as possible.
    Two wrongs does not make it right...

saabsaab wrote: »
    People of north Clare must be protected from irresponsible travelers during this crisis.

tinkers there's none now...

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    From reading this it would seem that the people of Connemara never want another tourist again.
    Of course why should they -- they are getting handouts under various guises including, for supposedly speaking Irish .

Not mad about asylum seekers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

saabsaab wrote: »
    People of north Clare must be protected from irresponsible travelers during this crisis.

Can you say where the People of north Clare go to shop --Not locally I presume.

THEY have no problem travelling to Ennis, Galway or, Limerick !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

nthclare wrote: »

Seen two camper vans in the village with UK regs

I've a tent ill be alright Jack :)

Which village

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Should roadblocks be erected in Dublin to stop country people living or working there? Or is this a one-way thing?

The Dubs that Live and work in the country are still living and working in that part of the country :rolleyes:.

Most of them are staying at home, except for essential trips. and the odd few hard man who didnt like the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

well you certainly sound "enraged". Leo Varadker said himself this afternoon that the amount of people coming in to Ireland by ferry was minimal. https://www.thejournal.ie/tourists-holidaymakers-ferries-varadkar-5071989-Apr2020/

He does not want Ireland turning in to the Valley of the Squinting Windows - his exact words.
    Most people on the N11 yesterday according to An Garda Siochana spokesman today were legitimate.

You're clearly a fan of Leo.......he would hardly tell a lie or play down the numbers. "Minimal"......sound vague to me.

His CMO tells us this evening that nobody is waiting for test at present .... Bull****.

His CCO doesn't know how many are waiting for tests.

They tell us what they want us to hear.

You believe Leo if you like.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

The amount of keyboard warriors make me feel a little ashamed of living on this island. Everybody needs to take a deep breath and reflect on where we are going as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Doesn't say they are refusing anyone. All carefully worded stuff, sound like if the cops in UK don't prevent em from getting to the ferry they're away for slated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A journey to Kerry or Galway doesn't become essential because it originally started from Birmingham or London.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jesus. Swap the word "Dubs" with "Brits".

Fake news thread continues powered by gossip, hearsay, rumours, spoofs, scaremongering, fear, bullying, hate and mean spirited nastiness.

When things settle the same lot will get back to migrants.

You're clearly a fan of Leo.......he would hardly tell a lie or play down the numbers. "Minimal"......sound vague to me.

His CMO tells us this evening that nobody is waiting for test at present .... Bull****.

His CCO doesn't know how many are waiting for tests.

They tell us what they want us to hear.

You believe Leo if you like.....

I'm actually not a fan of Leo. I didn't vote for one FG candidate in the recent election. I'm just quoting what Leo said to counteract the hysteria here about Ferries and airports letting thousands of holidaymakers loose into Ireland.

"Valley of the Squinting Windows"

Relax, deep breaths... calm down.... who said that?

To me this is not an appropriate comment for the leader of our country to be making especially at this time of health crisis.
    I expect it's a comment he will come to regret in the future. Our comments have a habit of staying with us.

I thought all cross border traffic with exception of commercial was banned in Europe. It is possible the problem on UK side for letting them on the ferry in the first place.

It is likely that our legislation has no Jurisdiction over British citizens and Gardai cannot enforce once they arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

I thought all cross border traffic with exception of commercial was banned in Europe. It is possible the problem on UK side for letting them on the ferry in the first place.

It is likely that our legislation has no Jurisdiction over British citizens and Gardai cannot enforce once they arrive.[/quote]

By that logic every 'non national' in the country could do as they please, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Covid19 wrote: »
    It's printed verbatim. Unfortunately. I'll pm you the pic.

No p.m.
    So....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

To me this is not an appropriate comment for the leader of our country to be making especially at this time of health crisis.
    I expect it's a comment he will come to regret in the future. Our comments have a habit of staying with us.

It is likely that our legislation has no Jurisdiction over British citizens and Gardai cannot enforce once they arrive.

As soon as they're within the Irish territory they are subject to Irish legislation.

Just as going on a holiday is non essential travel for an Irish citizen it is non essential for a potential visitor and should be treated the same. i.e. told to turn around and return to their home.

If they are permanently moving to Ireland then revenue can assess the vehicle for VRT at the point of entry and their vehicle needs to comply with Irish law w.r.t. number plate, tax, insurance, etc. Getting an NCT might be a problem at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Of the course the Gardaí can enforce the law, if they’re here they’re subject to our laws. But from reading reports online it seems the numbers of people actually coming over on ferries is tiny. The Gardaí and customs are stopping everyone at the ports and can turn away whoever they want.

By that logic every 'non national' in the country could do as they please, no?[/QUOTE]

I expect if a non-national living here does as they please they will do it without their dole money or whatever payment is available at moment.
    I do not know but i suspect the Gardai have power to stop people going to Wexford but have no power to stop these people coming to our shores.
    As Leo says there is only a few...

I agree with him and will never hold that quote against him. We are becoming a nation of curtain twitchers and it’s pretty saddening to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

By that logic every 'non national' in the country could do as they please, no? I expect if a non-national living here does as they please they will do it without their dole money or whatever payment is available at moment.
    I do not know but i suspect the Gardai have power to stop people going to Wexford but have no power to stop these people coming to our shores.
    As Leo says there is only a few...

In the Irish times they said the Gardaí and customs are at every port stopping people. Why would non nationals be receiving dole payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

So that people don't get the wrong impression of your IQ, could you please think before you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

No p.m.
    So....

Can't attach a pic to a PM. Unless there is a way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Sam Hain wrote: »
    So that people don't get the wrong impression of your IQ, could you please think before you post.

Too late for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement