Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Playback on Radio 1 this morning would be tough listening for any holiday home folks. First 15 mins is pretty damning. Even Christy Moore has a right go. Healthcare workers and people with cancer angry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

MadYaker wrote: »
    Of the course the Gardaí can enforce the law, if they’re here they’re subject to our laws. But from reading reports online it seems the numbers of people actually coming over on ferries is tiny. The Gardaí and customs are stopping everyone at the ports and can turn away whoever they want.

If this is the case its strange that they will stop cars going to Rosslare but people can drive from Rosslare.
    I live a long way from there and i just know what i read here and on the paper. I do not understand.

I agree with him and will never hold that quote against him. We are becoming a nation of curtain twitchers and it’s pretty saddening to me

So you think different law for different people ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If this is the case its strange that they will stop cars going to Rosslare but people can drive from Rosslare.
    I live a long way from there and i just know what i read here and on the paper. I do not understand.
    There's a lot of fake news round these days. People amusing themselves by whipping up hysteria. Don't believe everything you read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’s impossible to know what true and false on boards.ie and social media. People are locked inside and bored out of their minds it’s not surprising rumours are spreading. I get my news from rte and the main non tabloid papers, anything else is taken with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

I expect over time we will pretty well all be exposed to this virus anyway, that's if it doesn't decide to go away.
    I hears some Professor on UK news saying during the week we 18 Months from a vaccine.
    Interesting times ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I'm actually not a fan of Leo. I didn't vote for one FG candidate in the recent election. I'm just quoting what Leo said to counteract the hysteria here about Ferries and airports letting thousands of holidaymakers loose into Ireland.

I never suggested that thousands of UK people were coming into Ireland. I don't think any UK holiday makers should be allowing in at present.......they are following the Italy trend. It's an opinion not hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Tell your employees to contact the RTB. There can be NO evictions during the covid crisis. That landlady will be in serious trouble if she made them leave without the correct eviction process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

All my friends who own holiday homes have stated categorically that they are turning their backs on their second communities now and are out. Expect to see some bargains on rural property over the next 5-10 years.

Most of them are sickened by the double standards and the two faced nature of their locals/neighbours. They are going to reinvest their current spend elsewhere.

I personally always thought 2nd home buyers were simply overpaid individuals who did not know what else to do with their extra income. Or they were tea totallers who didn't drink or smoke, even worse, what a total snoozefest.

I never saw the attraction of buying a second home myself. I knew deep down that locals would secretly be resenting you and not having your back. Better off renting as Johnny Come Lately's and staying under the bigots radar, your holidays are there to be enjoyed.

Culchies will need to pull their socks up after this crisis is over. They are going to have to get the finger out for once in their lives and start contributing to Irish society, they have been leaching off the Dubs for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    All my friends who own holiday homes have stated categorically that they are turning their backs on their second communities now and are out. Expect to see some bargains on rural property over the next 5-10 years.

Most of them are sickened by the double standards and the two faced nature of their locals/neighbours. They are going to reinvest their current spend elsewhere.

I personally always thought 2nd home buyers were simply overpaid individuals who did not know what else to do with their extra income. Or they were tea totallers who didn't drink or smoke, even worse, what a total snoozefest.

I never saw the attraction of buying a second home myself. I knew deep down that locals would secretly be resenting you and not having your back. Better off renting as Johnny Come Lately's and staying under the bigots radar, your holidays are there to be enjoyed.

Culchies will need to pull their socks up after this crisis is over. They are going to have to get the finger out for once in their lives and start contributing to Irish society, they have been leaching off the Dubs for long enough.

And the award for 'troll post of the day' goes to....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Covid19 wrote: »
    Can't attach a pic to a PM. Unless there is a way to do it.
    Upload to an online host like www.imgur.com
    and they give you a url to link the photo

All my friends who...classic!

Despite the fact this was made up, it gave me a big smile.

Not even one mention of the deadly virus either. Brilliant.

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

plodder wrote: »
    So, the regulation has been extended to May 5th at least which means anyone who got to the holiday home ahead of it being signed this week, has to stay there now.

Nope
    The guards told the people (who aparantly don’t exist) to self isolate until Tuesday

https://www.eastcoast.fm/news/wicklow-news/concerns-continue-over-access-being-given-to-some-mobile-home-parks-in-wicklow/?fbclid=IwAR0J_9HdUAyFd-Vql2DePKrJUtR1OhlfMHhD3Pay0PzFAwlRFlyzjaQFPck

This is not the only one in Co.wicklow
    One park emailed its clients to come Wednesday before the road blocks were set up.....
    But I know: ‘FB and it’s not true and scaremongering, and it’s all lies’
    Anyway I’m off out to enjoy the sunshine ;)

degsie wrote: »

That's called "bait" don't bite, we have had enough of that s**t..

degsie wrote: »
    All my friends who...classic!

Despite the fact this was made up, it gave me a big smile.

Not even one mention of the deadly virus either. Brilliant.

:D:D

I respect that my post sounds trollish. But I can see hard times for Irish culchies down the line. Especially the ones leaching off the Dubs and foreign tourists, their time is up. The yanks are getting wise to it also, they are not as "plamásed" as they were in the past, especially with the pumped up summer prices.

They would be better off following the Dingle 4 model, whereby they gracefully allow " foreign" investment such as pointless bric a brac shops selling any garbage that 2nd homeowners feel obliged to blow their overpaid salaries on. That is before they go for a pint in Clifden paying " non local" prices. The west has turned into a complete rip off, mentally and in your back pocket. What a shame.

Personally sick of hearing locals say goodbye with a wink and a smile when they are deep down saying" see ya next year ya gullible chunt" under their breath. Rip off merchants, it has become endemic in the west of Ireland population, their charm has simply waned.

Luckily I got wise, it broke my heart though.

Cead mile Failte me winking brown eye.

I respect that my post sounds trollish. But I can see hard times for Irish culchies down the line. Especially the ones leaching off the Dubs and foreign tourists, their time is up. The yanks are getting wise to it also, they are not as "plamásed" as they were in the past, especially with the pumped up summer prices.

They would be better off following the Dingle 4 model, whereby they gracefully allow " foreign" investment such as pointless bric a brac shops selling any garbage that 2nd homeowners feel obliged to blow their overpaid salaries on. That is before they go for a pint in Clifden paying " non local" prices. The west has turned into a complete rip off, mentally and in your back pocket. What a shame.

Personally sick of hearing locals say goodbye with a wink and a smile when they are deep down saying" see ya next year ya gullible chunt" under their breath. Rip off merchants, it has become endemic in the west of Ireland population, their charm has simply waned.

Luckily I got wise, it broke my heart though.

Cead mile Failte me winking brown eye.
    You even doubled down on your nonsense. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Lackey wrote: »
    Nope
    The guards told the people (who aparantly don’t exist) to self isolate until Tuesday
    That was the situation until yesterday when Simon Harris said he would extend the order. Assuming he does, they are legally required to stay where they are until May 5th. Obviously, people who ignored the original advice will probably ignore this too. But, the gardai have the power to prosecute people returning to their homes now. I can imagine they will stop a few cars on Monday and dole out a few bollockings at least.

You even doubled down on your nonsense. :D:D

It is over for your average west of Ireland leech.

It is time for them to get up to Dublin and get a job. The blue money is turning its' back on them from now on. The Dollar is thinking the same.

I see economic tragedy for the West coming down the line. Their number is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Give us a shout when yourself or your buddies are selling a bargain around Connemara. I wouldn't mind one in the right spot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well that's all made up

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    Give us a shout when yourself or your buddies are selling a bargain around Connemara. I wouldn't mind one in the right spot

They only want to sell privately, they are worried about incurring any adverse CGT liabilities. The last thing they want to do is waste money on tax which is just going to be thrown into development of An Gaelthacht. The irony of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've always fancied buying West Limerick and turning it into a golf course or a nuclear power plant (depends on my sunny disposition or memories of childhood).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They only want to sell privately, they are worried about incurring any adverse CGT liabilities. The last thing they want to do is waste money on tax which is just going to be thrown into development of An Gaelthacht. The irony of it.
    Unless they take cash under the table they will be liable for tax.
    Why do they think CGT is funnelled into the Gaeltacht?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Unless they take cash under the table they will be liable for tax.
    Why do they think CGT is funnelled into the Gaeltacht?

It was hardly funded locally was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

This thread has taken a turn into the outlandish.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And with that, this thread is closed.

Some links to some data for people who can be bothered. Spoilers: There was no mass outflux from Dublin and this is all created by a bunch of Karens on facebook.

https://twitter.com/ClairejFrench/status/1248241286974451715

https://twitter.com/ClairejFrench/status/1248570278029950976

EUhDL52XgAQcouP?format=jpg&name=small

Source: https://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/operations-and-maintenance/traffic-count-data/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement