Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

The doctors's post shows a long hold sentiment because what SUV has to do with this pandemic?

If someone went there before Cheltenham crowd returned, before Italian fans an St. Patrick's tourists invaded Dublin, so had a full right to protect their health. Additionally they can have a cocooning relative there, they take care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

and that is why the aran islands stopped non residents from travelling out

there are a lot of holiday homes out there belonging to people who usually live and work in Galway, Dublin or elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Who defines home? Some retired people might spend 7 months a year in a holiday home in Cavan.

Some people coming from abroad self isolate in Dublin then return home to their families.

To be fair its an elaborate scenario that the guidelines dont pertain too. Rte described a situation where a vulnerable city person should go to their caravan in Wexford because their family home had a nurse. The measures don't prescribe this situation at all.

Just hunting for the "edge cases", exceptions etc.
    Most holiday homes are just that.
    Most people who would travel away from an urban area to a rural "holiday home" are relocating from another residence which they (& their family) generally live in when not on holidays. The meaning & spirit of the guidelines is fairly clear.

Eaten bread is soon forgotten

See what these places would be like without Dublin cash every summer

Resorts are empty in the south east no better place to be to escape the virus

Except if you bring it with you.
    clown

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

What would Dublin be like if every non Dub left.....you'd miss their money too. It works both ways.

There a pandemic and nobody should be travelling away from home. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So because they welcomed the cash, they should also welcome the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭mcgragger

I'd go so far as to say Dubs are not wanted anywhere else either...

Dubs are not even mentioned in her post but you use it to have a go at Dubs.

Smallminded Bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

But they are also potentially reducing transmission and you have no evidence that the pro ae outweighed by the cons. Crises just being out selfishness as evidenced here.

The way to reduce transmission is social distancing or social isolation depending on your circumstances and abiding by the rules of the lockdown. This can be done just as well in Dublin as in the country.

Go to your local supermarket and stock up for two weeks then stay home.

If you drive from Dublin to Connemara you’ll have to stop for petrol, at the local shop for the litre of milk you didn’t want to bring for three hours in the car, for the phone charger you forgot etc etc

These aren’t selfless Dublin people deciding to spend their time in a less densely populated area to reduce risk. They’re people who want more space and nicer views to ride the crisis out with.

It's not about DUBLIN people. Lots of people have holiday homes. Nobody should be travelling away from home.

Country folk have no business travelling to Dublin either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I cant help but feel that many rural people under normal circumstances have a certain amount of contempt, suspicion and annoyance for "blow-ins" and unfamiliar people with funny clothes. The current situation is the perfect excuse to legitimize all that hate so it boils over into mob-with-pitchforks territory,

If a person goes to a second home for health reasons, to avoid living under the same roof as a key worker, for instance....
    They bring food, supplies, go out for a stroll once a day within 2km, then I don't see what the problem is!
    There should be allowances for situations like these.

If people are appearing in large rowdy groups and treat it like a family holiday, that's different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I cant help but feel that many rural people under normal circumstances have a certain amount of contempt, suspicion and annoyance for "blow-ins" and unfamiliar people with funny clothes. The current situation is the perfect excuse to legitimize all that hate so it boils over into mob-with-pitchforks territory,

If a person goes to a second home for health reasons, to avoid living under the same roof as a key worker, for instance....
    They bring food, supplies, go out for a stroll once a day within 2km, then I don't see what the problem is!

If people are appearing in large rowdy groups and treat it like a family holiday, that's different.

Funny clothes? Are they coming from Dublin or Outer Mongolia? “Rural people” have the internet too (albeit often at rubbish speeds), they’re not from the 1850s, they have seen the get up on the high street, there’s nothing unique or “funny” about people from non-rural areas within Ireland.

Touristy locations in Ireland, such as Connemara, are not wholly dependent on people from Dublin to keep the lights on. They get plenty of visitors from other areas too, from here and abroad.

There’s lots of posters saying here they see no issue if visitors are abiding by the rules. It’s the ones who are not that are causing the problems. Locals are entitled to highlight it and Connemara is not the only region to have experienced this. The residents of Achill also spoke out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

It's not about DUBLIN people. Lots of people have holiday homes. Nobody should be travelling away from home.

Country folk have no business travelling to Dublin either.....

Unfortunately they are bringing all the country folk with covid 19 to Dublin hospitals which results in more health workers up there getting infected, I'm not from Dublin but the tone of that doctors post is not what you'd expect from a doctor, yes advise people not to travel down during the travel restrictions etc, but repeating the ' we'll remember' is a bit much, is she from that area or I don't think so.

you always know the Dubs from the 'drive for 5' stickers

or the mini dublin jersey sticker in the back window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Just got a mention on the news. Some representatives in Clifden echoeing the sentiments of the letter in the original post, albeit with less of an edge.

ml100 wrote: »
    Unfortunately they are bringing all the country folk with covid 19 to Dublin hospitals which results in more health workers up there getting infected, I'm not from Dublin but the tone of that doctors post is not what you'd expect from a doctor, yes advise people not to travel down during the travel restrictions etc, but repeating the ' we'll remember' is a bit much, is she from that area or I don't think so.

Bringing ALL the country folk with Covid 19 to Dublin hospitals??

Where are you getting this fact from ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The state of the thread on it, you can easily see how comments in that manner could lead to violence.

Funny clothes??? Funny attitudes more so....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

you always know the Dubs from the 'drive for 5' stickers

or the mini dublin jersey sticker in the back window

You'd be surprised at how many Dubs have no interest in GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

KiKi III wrote: »
    The way to reduce transmission is social distancing or social isolation depending on your circumstances and abiding by the rules of the lockdown. This can be done just as well in Dublin as in the country.

Go to your local supermarket and stock up for two weeks then stay home.

If you drive from Dublin to Connemara you’ll have to stop for petrol, at the local shop for the litre of milk you didn’t want to bring for three hours in the car, for the phone charger you forgot etc etc

These aren’t selfless Dublin people deciding to spend their time in a less densely populated area to reduce risk. They’re people who want more space and nicer views to ride the crisis out with.
    Why not both? Why assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Facebook entry has been removed and rightly so. This is a time for people to work together for the long-term benefit of our country and it's inhabitants. Not a time for divisive comments or selfish agendas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Did she highlight it to the police? I thought you couldn't travel more than a couple of km?

Rufeo wrote: »
    Did she highlight it to the police? I thought you couldn't travel more than a couple of km?

The Gardai can't actually inforce this. The laws aren't in place. It's just advice. Public are asked to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

I totally agree with the doctors sentiments but not how she worded it. I live in an area that has a large amount of holiday homes and we will welcome these people again, just not right now. The reasons being many of them are not obeying social distancing and are using the parks the council locked up weeks ago, they are trying to register with local doctors and use local pharmacies which are already under pressure with their usual patients, and if they get sick they will take up space at the local hospital which is struggling already with the population who live here it has to cater for. Everyone locally is hoping that the guards will be out in force this weekend to turn holiday makers away. We have scarce enough resources to cater for our own residents of the area without having them further stretched. A pandemic is not the time to travel because you fancy being near the beach.

Love how people in rural villages get so wound up by some outsiders showing up.

Dublin has people commuting into it from all parts of the country every day. Some of those people claim to hate the place but still come every day.

Dublin, up until very recently, had people arriving on flights from all over the world.

People are getting brought to Dublin hospitals for treatment.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Living in clifden at the moment and to be fair I think most of the holiday home people got scared after the shutdown was announced and went home the following morning. (At least in our apt complex)

However an English reg car did pull up beside me yesterday when I was out for a walk (less then 2k) and the guy inside started complaining to me that everything was closed after he came down for a bit of sightseeing. I can’t even comprehend the level of stupidity that would have to drive so far into a locked down country then bitch that the shops are closed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Dublin has people commuting into it from all parts of the country every day. Some of those people claim to hate the place but still come every day.

Dublin, up until very recently, had people arriving on flights from all over the world.

Get over it.

Dublin has much bigger, much better equipped hospitals than the regional hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

degsie wrote: »
    Facebook entry has been removed and rightly so. This is a time for people to work together for the long-term benefit of our country and it's inhabitants. Not a time for divisive comments or selfish agendas.

Its still up and being commented on, i think the original link was broken.

burn down the holiday homes

Not gonna happen. Are you mad. Let's not forget the same doctor is most certainly happily charging each of these visitors if they should darken her door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Get over it.

Try reading the OP , I suspect based on your comment you skipped straight to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Were all the caravan parks and mobile home sites not closed before this began? Shame on them if they also facilitated this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement