Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The amount of people I know living in Dublin with elderly parents that live in rural areas that headed straight home with their kids to the grandparents house far outweighs the ones that headed to their holiday homes.

I was driving West to East on Saturday the 14th of March (to get home to Dublin) and the amount of cars heading the opposite direction << West was phenomenal. Five of my neighbours houses are empty because the occupants headed straight back to their folks in rural areas with the kids, three others have just the Mam or Dad there whilst their spouses headed to the grandparents with the kids.

I would hold those people in the same level of contempt. My parents have been asking me when I’m coming home since before the lockdown and although I’d be much more comfortable and have more company down there, I absolutely will not risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

KiKi III wrote: »
    Exactly.

So it’s understandable that country folk do not want people from the hotspot in Ireland ignoring government guidelines and spreading the virus to other communities that don’t have access to the same medical facilities Dubliners have.

Not if they travelled before the lockdown.

Factoring in the lenght of the incubation period, then the wait for an appointment for a test, then the wait for results of a test - if this doctor is accusing some "blow ins" for infecting locals, then the transmission happened long before the lockdown on travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I haven't read the Facebook group you mention as the link is not working. Reading you post though suggests the doctor is calling for violence, are you sure about that?

The link is fixed or you could go on facebook and view the open and public group under Connemara notice board.

How else do you read someone calling people psychopathic and to watch out for the future, then allot of the responses are in that same vein. A few on the forum have called out the hate speech for what it is.

However allot are scare and willing to go for the pitchfork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The amount of people I know living in Dublin with elderly parents that live in rural areas that headed straight home with their kids to the grandparents house far outweighs the ones that headed to their holiday homes.

I was driving West to East on Saturday the 14th of March (to get home to Dublin) and the amount of cars heading the opposite direction << West was phenomenal. Five of my neighbours houses are empty because the occupants headed straight back to their folks in rural areas with the kids, three others have just the Mam or Dad there whilst their spouses headed to the grandparents with the kids.
    KiKi III wrote: »
    I would hold those people in the same level of contempt. My parents have been asking me when I’m coming home since before the lockdown and although I’d be much more comfortable and have more company down there, I absolutely will not risk it.

Most were before the lockdown, but a few were after, just hope they haven't done too much damage. I'm in a popular spot in Dublin, our beach and park car parks are closed and we've seen a surge of people visiting with GAA jerseys from the whole island!! The latest across the road from us was a Roscommon gang that left their disposable coffee cups on the footpath!

Surely buying disposable coffee cups with those plastic covers that everyone mauls isn't an intelligent idea at the moment?? They're in my green bin now.

Edit >> The discarded cups are in my green bin, not the humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

rn wrote: »
    There's a simple solution to this. Garda checkpoints supported by army at the shannon crossings at Carrick on shannon, tarmonbarry, Athlone and Limerick. Send back anyone travelling outside of counties immediately bordering, essential staff excluded.

You could add these.

Parteen,Ardnacrusha, Clonlara, O'Briensbridge, Killaloe, Portumna, Banagher, Shannonbridge, Lanesborough, Roosky, Drumsna, Jamestown, Hartley,Leitrim/Battlebridge, Drumherrif Bridge, Drumhauver Bridge and Dowra.

Plus there are three crossings in Limerick and a tunnel. Two crossings in Athlone also.

That makes 24 crossings.

Not trying to be smart but it's a big old river and you would tie up a lot of personnel for limited effect.

Probably more bang for buck in doing the motorway toll plazas.

I expect there will be some Garda presence on main roads this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Has the statement been confirmed as the words of the doctor it is attributed to?

It seems a little too polemical and ungrammatical to be credible as the opinion of a medical practitioner.
    If a doctor's aware of large amounts of people breaking lockdown rules I'd expect them to report it, they'd be taken seriously by the authorities, rather than resort to inflammatory rants on social media.

The whole thing comes off as the sort of spurious rabble rousing social media is now notorious for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

AulWan wrote: »
    Not necessarily so. Covid19 patients can take 2 weeks to develop symptoms, but there are people walking around whose symptoms are so mild they don't even realise they have it, and they are infectious. A patient is not considered recovered until they've tested negative twice, so Cheltenham is not out of the picture yet.

The numbers for Dublin are representative of the fact that more than 30% of the country's population lives there.

56% of cases for a county with about 26% of the population. Far from representitive.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Has the statement been confirmed as the words of the doctor it is attributed to?

It seems a little too polemical and ungrammatical to be credible as the opinion of a medical practitioner.
    If a doctor's aware of large amounts of people breaking lockdown rules I'd expect them to report it, they'd be taken seriously by the authorities, rather than resort to inflammatory rants on social media.

The whole thing comes off as the sort of spurious rabble rousing social media is now notorious for.

The people in the group have confirmed that it is from the doctor. How true that is will be telling though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Calhoun wrote: »
    The link is fixed or you could go on facebook and view the open and public group under Connemara notice board.

How else do you read someone calling people psychopathic and to watch out for the future, then allot of the responses are in that same vein. A few on the forum have called out the hate speech for what it is.

However allot are scare and willing to go for the pitchfork.

Again are you claiming the doctor has made a call for violence? It's a straight question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The people in the group have confirmed that it is from the doctor. How true that is will be telling though.

Yeah, it could be true but the say-so of a Facebook group doesn't really do it for me. Especially given the tensions of these times where people are ready to fly off the handle over any rumour or incomplete set of facts, just look at this thread for instance.

• Advertisement

Again are you claiming the doctor has made a call for violence? It's a straight question.

As i said thats how i read it, how did you read it? The statement was put out in a way that looks like its calling to possible future violence?

Cut the bull**** with the straight question, say what you think it means rather than trying to discredit what i have said making it look like i am dodging the question, quite disingenuous.

Yeah, it could be true but the say-so of a Facebook group doesn't really do it for me. Especially given the tensions of these times where people are ready to fly off the handle over any rumour or incomplete set of facts, just look at this thread for instance.

If i was the doctor and i didnt say it i would have my solicitor on quick smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People keep banging on about Dublin, but Dublin was never mentioned in the original comment.

It was just about non-locals in general, could be Cheltenham returnees just as easily as Dublin people, and I'm sure some Cheltenham returnees are Dublin people.

A bit funny though th that when the doctor makes a non-specific comment about entitled non-locals swanning around in SUVs and recklessly disregarding safety regulations, there are some posters, Dubliners I presume, reacting with "hey, that's us she is talking about."

The assumption that Limerick or Cork folk don't have their share of reckless entitled SUV-driving pr!cks is the real scandal here.

Edit >> The discarded cups are in my green bin, not the humans.

Those don't go in your green bin! Clean dry recyclables only.
    Most of them are fully compostable now so can go in your black or brown bin. This goes for people or coffee cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

56% of cases for a county with about 26% of the population. Far from representitive.

You sound so happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Riddle me this then. I had to deal with this today.

Closed up my business on 27th and the 3 employees went on Covid 19 payment. One of the guys is Polish and lives with a landlady and 2 other lodgers. One of the other lodgers got very ill the weekend of 28/29 March and was taken to Tallaght Hospital where he still is. My guy got ill over last weekend and very ill today. He is booked for the Citywest testing centre tomorrow. Now the landlady has freaked out and ordered the 2 of them out of the house tomorrow. My guy has nowhere to go, wife and kids at home in Poland, can`t travel etc etc.

So I have told him to go to my holiday home after his test to self isolate for the next 2 weeks. Don`t know what else I could have done or what I`m going to do next. He`s worked for me for 5 years.

Am I one of the people who should`nt have invaded the west when I`m only trying to show some compassion in a tricky dilemna

Citywest hotel is available for those who need to self isolate but can't, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

@OP, have you seen what's going on in Costa Rica lately?
    The locals have had to take things into their own hands. The government declared a state of emergency and pretty much the entire population of San Jose that could afford it, decided to go to the beach on holiday. It got so ridiculous the people from Limon/Caribbean had to take it upon themselves to close the roads to prevent themselves from getting sick. They are now standing there with guns and watching for people trying to get through.
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/03/31/police-shot-at-surfer/
    https://snowbrains.com/video-cops-shoot-at-surfers-ignoring-lockdown-in-costa-rica/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Its not just tensions - it’s an incurable airbourne virus that can kill you. If I was the doctor I’d be furious too - she is the one person who will have to be exposed to it. Why should her life be put at risk because of the selfishness of other people breaking the rules when so many sacrifices are being made?

As for the low achiever and unemployed dosser in his bedsit calling for her to be struck off perhaps you should take this period of isolation to reflect on your jealousy of others and casual willingness to want to destroy them. Slow clap for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"To Hell or to Connaught"
    They thought Cromwell had returned.
    Seriously though, does one go "down" to Connemara from Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

This doctor like so much others losing the plot. 112 cases out of 260,000 people in a huge county. Hardly the Bubonic Plague numbers.

You'd want to be careful with threats against people who inject lots of money into the local economy and create the only real employment out in those parts.

• Advertisement

Apparently you go 'down' to everywhere from the capital. Including Down.

doylefe wrote: »
    This doctor like so much others losing the plot. 112 cases out of 260,000 people in a huge county. Hardly the Bubonic Plague numbers.

You'd want to be careful with threats against people who inject lots of money into the local economy and create the only real employment out in those parts.
    You are missing the point.

They are stretching all of their resources.

I also doubt that they inject lots of money into the local economy. In fact I would guess in general, they do more harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

doylefe wrote: »

Oh give over, they inject feck all in the local economy, the entire country west of the Sharon is not dependent on the Dubs showing their faces a few times a year. Have some cop on.

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Oh give over, they inject feck all in the local economy, the entire country west of the Sharon is not dependent on the Dubs showing their faces a few times a year. Have some cop on.

Didn't you know the locals just crawl back under their rocks once the Dubs leave, no more need for the maids and the shoe shiners and court jesters until the next holiday season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I'm sorry, but yes, I do think she should be in serious trouble for posting that. It was a much more severe comment than something like "just go home everyone" in which case no one would bat an eyelid.

yiur talking about connamara ppl tho they have their own ways. i know of a couple that take in kids to learn gaelic they tell me that it happens thst the parents just dump the kids and go away on holls themselves has happened that a girl got sick they phoned the parents they were in south of france and said shes in your care we are on holliday. bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As i said thats how i read it, how did you read it? The statement was put out in a way that looks like its calling to possible future violence?

Cut the bull**** with the straight question, say what you think it means rather than trying to discredit what i have said making it look like i am dodging the question, quite disingenuous.

She didn't call for violence. So you are making up stuff basically telling lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Suckit wrote: »
    Apparently you go 'down' to everywhere from the capital. Including Down.

I didn't say "down", I said West.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

But they are also potentially reducing transmission and you have no evidence that the pro ae outweighed by the cons. Crises just being out selfishness as evidenced here.

5 out of 7 cases locally is not evidence that those coming out are not transmitting it????

I wasn't quoting you. I only realised now that the other poster had quoted you.
    I was answering the other posters question. I genuinely have been told that growing up. All roads go 'up' to Dublin. And from the Capital you always head 'down' to the country.
    Never really gave it a second thought until tonight and that post.
    One person who used to say it most is now a TD. Irrelevant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Sorry , 'twas the good doctor said "down"in the post attributed to her.
    Is she a blow-in herself?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement