Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options?

Options
  • 06-04-2020 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi all
    I'm currently teaching in UAE but I'll be moving home permanently in the summer. I want to become a fully qualified teacher, but my degree is history and politics so HDIP in UL is not an option for me so just wondering how I can become fully qualified to teach History in Ireland. Only teaching qualification I have is the PGCEi. I do not want to do the Hibernia
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moving this to Teaching and Lecturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

IMHO if you don't absolutely have to come back to Ireland for personal reasons or whatever I would stay in the UAE (if teaching is what you really want to do). If you do have to come back to Ireland you probably won't get a full time teaching job with just a PGDE in History.

That is of course if the Teaching Council deem your degree eligible to teach History in the first place. This may not be the case and you would need to contact them about that.

The best you could hope for is to return to Ireland and even if you do manage to qualify as a History teacher you're probably looking at years of part time subbing with little chance of a full time job.

It was the reason (endless part time subbing) I bailed in the first place... although with Covid ravaging the international teaching sector I may have to return myself for awhile (not willingly).

Also speaking of Covid... if you do happen to have a decent contract in the UAE I would consider holding out for a year or two until the dust settles... there's going to be a lot of people unemployed. It won't be the best time to be looking for any kind of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

As it is a PGCEi, could you find out if it equates to the PGCE in the UK?

If it equates to the PGCE in the UK, you could register for QTS and complete the NQT year in England. For non Irish qualifications, The Teaching Council need you to have official letter/documentation that states you are fully qualified in another state and you have completed any after probation employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

The UK route might not be possible as in the past they have said that they don’t recognise overseas PGCE as they didn’t have any UK school experience.

If the UK was a route that you were thinking of I have a contact that could get in touch with

Advertisement