Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a bike through a house.

Options
  • 06-04-2020 6:39pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi lads ,

Toying with the idea of getting a bike for myself . More into the enduro style bikes.

Problem is i live in a terraced house so now comes the problem of keeping it outside the house.

Does anyone bring there bikes through the house ? Im looking at this been used only a few days a week so not a daily thing i would be doing.

Want to make sure this is a viable idea or ill be just picking up something cheap and just keep the fingers crossed with it !.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Dubs1990 wrote: »
    Hi lads ,

Toying with the idea of getting a bike for myself . More into the enduro style bikes.

Problem is i live in a terraced house so now comes the problem of keeping it outside the house.

Does anyone bring there bikes through the house ? Im looking at this been used only a few days a week so not a daily thing i would be doing.

Want to make sure this is a viable idea or ill be just picking up something cheap and just keep the fingers crossed with it !.

Cheers

Have you a driveway or space for it outside? Heavy duty ground anchor / heavy duty chain and lock add in a cover and stick a CCTV camera on it (even one you put on the windowsill inside that points out at it) and factor all that into the budget for buying the bike. Almax is the name brand for heavy duty chains but they aren't cheap.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

Vikings wrote: »
    Have you a driveway or space for it outside? Heavy duty ground anchor / heavy duty chain and lock add in a cover and stick a CCTV camera on it (even one you put on the windowsill inside that points out at it) and factor all that into the budget for buying the bike. Almax is the name brand for heavy duty chains but they aren't cheap.

Ye i have a large driveway , will be the better option , but just have no idea what is the best way to make it as difficult as possible to rob !

Thanks for the ideas , ill have a gander at them chains .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Bringing a bike through a house is a f**king pain in the arse. But if you don't have any tight corners not too bad, save bringing dirt in. Look at the specs of what you want. I'd say anything more than a 250 would be a pain. I suppose there would be a few handy 125s/250 not so big or fat. Specs....width and length...mirrors. motorcycle specs.nz etc. Check the width of your halls, cut a piece of timber the length of bike and nail a couple of pieces on, the width of the bike and have a pre run.
    What's the story with parking in front of house...robbed? Heavy duty anchor into concrete.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

lalababa wrote: »
    Bringing a bike through a house is a f**king pain in the arse. But if you don't have any tight corners not too bad, save bringing dirt in. Look at the specs of what you want. I'd say anything more than a 250 would be a pain. I suppose there would be a few handy 125s/250 not so big or fat. Specs....width and length...mirrors. motorcycle specs.nz etc. Check the width of your halls, cut a piece of timber the length of bike and nail a couple of pieces on, the width of the bike and have a pre run.
    What's the story with parking in front of house...robbed? Heavy duty anchor into concrete.

Ye i was measuring just briefly today and was thinking the narrowest point is 23inches with a radiator cover . It would be a pain everytime.

Anchor point will be my only option , wont be a brand new bike and ill just keep it under a cover. Is a bag standard anchor point okay or what is the go to place for security?. Those almax chains look the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I did this for a few years when I was still living with my parents. Bringing the bike in and out of the back garden through the house was a PITA with a 125cc scooter so definitely get some measurements before you try :)
    Once I got fed up of moving the bike through the house, I invested in a ground anchor and had it put in the driveway so that solved that and I think it might be the better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Depends on the house and the bike. I bring mine with 800 mm bars and hand guards through. It's a straight line and I don't have to traverse a narrow hallway. Doorways take a bit of practice at first (the 2 inside door opening are narrower than the handlebars) but once you get the technique, it's quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dubal2008

Go to a place that makes up new chains for lifting machinery or tying down machinery onto a flatbed, the 10mm chain cannot be cut with any size chain snips but can still be cut with a grinder, remember it's all about slowing somebody down and making them make noise, this type of chain combined with a roller shutter type lock will be best option for outdoor.. most place have old chain that they can no longer certify for lifting and simply throw it out

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Put the front wheel up on a skate board, it will be easier to manoeuvre through the house

Advertisement