Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boris Johnson out of hospital 12/04

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭8-10

If he was on ecmo it would be as good as game over for him.No reason to suggest this is the case.

That said, I don't believe he's in ICU for "precautionary" reasons. I don't understand why the Brits are spinning this, and the media obeying.

No matter how rich or powerful you are, you are only in there if you are critically ill.

Adam Boulton mentioned that journalists don't believe they're getting the same frank information about this as they did when Blair had heart surgery, Major had bad flu or Thatcher had a hand operation.

Suggests that he doesn't fully believe the official line but what else can they report? Cant just baselessly speculate, if that's what Downing Street is officially reporting then you have to present that to the people. It might be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

KiKi III wrote: »
    I’d imagine he’s getting more time and attention than an average ICU patient. Probably having his vitals monitored more closely. I don’t really know what happens in an ICU but I am pretty sure that hospital will not want to be known as the one Boris Johnson died in. So I think he’ll probably be given top priority treatment.

Intensive care means that the individual patient is constantly monitored by their own dedicated nurse at all times. By definition.

If your local homeless tramp was in the ICU, that's the care he would be getting.

For that reason, ICU beds are a finite resource. If you had 5,000 people in an ICU,you would need 5,000 nurses just for them. Which is why they only move people in there when they really need it.

My only experience of an ICU was visiting my octogenarian father in one in the hours after he had heart surgery a few years back. There was a nurse permanently at the foot of his bed.

Of course he was only in the ICU for a few hours until the anaesthetic wore off and he gradually woke up and became compus mentis. Then they moved him down to the less intensive ward. I think it;s called HDU (High Dependency Unit). A bit more involved than the standard hospital ward but not quite the one on one care of ICU.

That's just how acute hospitals work.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Danzy wrote: »
    The EU response has been so bizarre that it would be a headline story in normal circumstances.

At the very least it has put an end to further integration.

I agree with your sentiments.

“Bizarre” is the best word.

Am not a Farage type , but this has really exposed how useless the EU is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Danzy wrote: »
    The EU response has been so bizarre that it would be a headline story in normal circumstances.

At the very least it has put an end to further integration.

Do you mean the response of a loose collection of independent states in a limited political Union?

But Brexiteers would have had everyone believe it was the opposite!? A monolithic super state issuing daily diktats.

But now it's the loose collection of independent states that is the problem..

The goalmouth is a mess at this stage with those goal posts being moved about all the time.

And then you sign off with "at least it puts an end to further integration"

AOTS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Best of luck to him. Shocked to see this report today. Here's hoping the vaccine to this bloody thing is in the pipeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Optics wise - that was actually a good move. Showing the British literally that this Covid thing is real. I honestly now think he took one for the team. Was the only way to get the message across. I live in Tory heartland. Southern England. Seeing Boris like that has had a huge impact. ( except for a London. We need a big beautiful wall around that entire city. )

Definitely , yes I agree. He showed it and himself as just another human, this can get everyone if proper vigilant measure not adhered to. Taking one for the team is a valid description. Should have focused minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭newirishman

Sardonicat wrote: »
    They would not be functioning as an ICU without appropriate levels of staff. It wouldn't be ICU, just another hospital ward. You've already said you don't understand how ICU works, so just stop while you're ahead. And stop insulting the people who work on these units day in day out giving everything they have keep people alive, regardless of who they are.

Nobody is insulting the people who work there. But day in day out giving everything they have? Give me a break. People are not machines.

But reg the UK Prime Minister getting preferential treatment, to quote the guardian
    on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the intensive care unit at the hospital.

Of course his medical team will be there. Of course he will get preferred treatment. How many Joe Soaps would have a medical team.

Don’t know how this is an issue, I don’t see one. Does not diminish in any way the work of the people in the ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Is there a possibility he might have spread it to Cameron and Osborne? One lives on hope, wha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

rtron wrote: »
    Forgive me, it's very easy to give a 2 word post on boards.

However we must not forget this person is responsible for trying too late to flatten the covid19 curve, then acted very irresponsibly and pretty much set himself to contract it.
    His actions has put you and your in family in danger by failing to act... The herd immunity didn't just affect his country but us Ireland as their nearest neighbor.
    I find it difficult to be sympathetic to him when I have to worry about my immediate and extended family first.

Its just that using this standard to judge people you would find it difficult to be sympathetic with a lot of people. Nearly every country in the world dropped the ball on this one bar maybe Taiwan and South Korea.

Also are the UK hospitals overrun just yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Are you saying everyone in ICU has a nurse assigned to them 24/7? I doubt that.

And the only person we know for certain on the thread is a frontline medical doctor has already said it’s likely he would get better treatment.

Why should I take your word over his?

Yes. The whole point of ICU is to have a nurse assigned to you 24/7.

The doctor posting said he has likely been moved to ICU before ICU levels of care are required because he is PM and they cannot leave him wait for a bed if his condition deteriorates quickly. He did not say he would receive better care than anyone else on there. You are casting disgusting aspersions on the nusing and medical professions and support health care workers of the NHS. I won't engage with you further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

8-10 wrote: »
    Adam Boulton mentioned that journalists don't believe they're getting the same frank information about this as they did when Blair had heart surgery, Major had bad flu or Thatcher had a hand operation.

Suggests that he doesn't fully believe the official line but what else can they report? Cant just baselessly speculate, if that's what Downing Street is officially reporting then you have to present that to the people. It might be true.
    That is a fair comment but they should be pressing No. 10 for further information. The guardian knew that St. Thomas Hospital was preparing a bed for Johnson from Wednesday. They know exactly what's going on - but are not reporting.

In an information vacuum, speculation fills the gap. We all know what an ICU is for and the British media is treating people for fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Intensive care means that the individual patient is constantly monitored by their own dedicated nurse at all times. By definition.

If your local homeless tramp was in the ICU, that's the care he would be getting.

For that reason, ICU beds are a finite resource. If you had 5,000 people in an ICU,you would need 5,000 nurses just for them. Which is why they only move people in there when they really need it.

My only experience of an ICU was visiting my octogenarian father in one in the hours after he had heart surgery a few years back. There was a nurse permanently at the foot of his bed.

Of course he was only in the ICU for a few hours until the anaesthetic wore off and he gradually woke up and became compus mentis. Then they moved him down to the less intensive ward. I think it;s called HDU (High Dependency Unit). A bit more involved than the standard hospital ward but not quite the one on one care of ICU.

That's just how acute hospitals work.

It’s interesting hearing different people’s experiences and I don’t doubt yours or Sardonicat’s, but I’m still going to take the Consultant’s opinion over yours as most likely to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Adam Boulton mentioned that journalists don't believe they're getting the same frank information about this as they did when Blair had heart surgery

Sky News put up a "Breaking News!" flash all over their Socials last week when Eddie Large passed away.

They're the Sun/Daily Mail in TV form

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I agree with your sentiments.

“Bizarre” is the best word.

Am not a Farage type , but this has really exposed how useless the EU is.

I know how this works:

The EU doesn't do something, OMG the EU is useless wft lol.

The EU does something, OMG they're trying to make a United States of Europe.

It's a simple formula for simple minds.

Bolton dropping hints of “yes minister” speak there to shore up his own credibility. Massive pressure on journalists. “Wartime mode”.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know how this works:

Terribly effective formula though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

2u2me wrote: »
    Nearly every country in the world dropped the ball on this one bar maybe Taiwan and South Korea.

He didn't so much drop the ball as fling it to the ground.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I know how this works:

I disagree. Is a simple formula for those with an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Twitter already full of disgusting remarks from corbynistas. They can't go a single day without letting themselves down. Hopefully he recovers fully and can continue to lead.

Interesting to see that all of a sudden you've decided to become a caring sentimentalist.

Tory PM's send kids to die in foreign illegal wars. But hey Corbyn's the bad guy here. By god you have a twisted way of looking at the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yes. The whole point of ICU is to have a nurse assigned to you 24/7.

The doctor posting said he has likely been moved to ICU before ICU levels of care are required because he is PM and they cannot leave him wait for a bed if his condition deteriorates quickly. He did not say he would receive better care than anyone else on there. You are casting disgusting aspersions on the nusing and medical professions and support health care workers of the NHS. I won't engage with you further.

Umm, yes he did, he also said this was acceptable as Boris Johnson is less easily replaceable than your average joe soap and that these are the harsh realities of practicing medicine. I’m paraphrasing but if you scroll through Pseudonym121’s most recent posts it’s just a few back.

So I’m sorry that you’re mad at reality but maybe take all your faux outrage over to Twitter?

• Advertisement

I disagree. Is a simple formula for those with an agenda.

Let's face it most, of the people who repeat it aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

gyppo wrote: »
    disgusting comments on this thread.

At the end of the day, Boris is a human being, somebodies son, brother, fiance.
    Forget about politics, I wish him well, I hope he pulls through this, and that he lives a long life.

Some have been really shown up this evening. Think it's really sad actually.

Nobody is insulting the people who work there. But day in day out giving everything they have? Give me a break. People are not machines.

But reg the UK Prime Minister getting preferential treatment, to quote the guardian

Of course his medical team will be there. Of course he will get preferred treatment. How many Joe Soaps would have a medical team.

Don’t know how this is an issue, I don’t see one. Does not diminish in any way the work of the people in the ICU.

FFS! Every medical patient in a hospital has medical team in charge of their care . It consists of the consultant, the registrar, and the more junior Dr's who work under that consultant. Likewise, if you are a surgical patient, you will have a surgical team consisting of same. The level of ignorance on this thread is profound. I think isolation is getting to a lot of people.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Terribly effective formula though.

My suggestion - the EU needs to get out of politics.
    Have a collective space program. Have a collective anti-Covid program.

The EU could turn into something useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

"iwillyeah wrote:
    Look - I deal in reality. That’s all.

You deal in reality. You can't even count. 4 days in a row you predicted cases would top a million last week wrongly. This when there were 700,000 cases and the daily increase was between 60-70,000.

I don't trust people's opinions who can't count. It's kind of a basic of education.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Twitter already full of disgusting remarks from corbynistas.

Johnson described child abuse as malarkey, and the money spent on investigating it as being spaffed up the wall so he's no stranger to disgusting remarks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My suggestion - the EU needs to get out of politics.

OMG un-elected bureaucrats, EU Army conscription to fight the Martians wtf. EU needs to go back to being a steel and coal union LOL.

giphy.webp

Am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are you saying everyone in ICU has a nurse assigned to them 24/7? I doubt that.

And the only person we know for certain on the thread is a frontline medical doctor has already said it’s likely he would get better treatment.

Why should I take your word over his?

Yes they do.

Umm, yes he did, he also said this was acceptable as Boris Johnson is less easily replaceable than your average joe soap and that these are the harsh realities of practicing medicine. I’m paraphrasing but if you scroll through Pseudonym121’s most recent posts it’s just a few back.

So I’m sorry that you’re mad at reality but maybe take all your faux outrage over to Twitter?

I read all his posts and his reference to preferential treatment referred to him getting the ICU bed now. For someone who has admitted they know absolutely nothing about what happens in ICU you sure have a great deal to say about what happens in there and the priorities of people who work in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

One of us is clearly misreading the doctors post, as I read should. He should be getting preferential treatment. Perhaps I'm wrong but he didn't say he is getting better treatment.

Maybe if it was France or Italy then he might push another patient down the list because their health systems are overburdened. A patient might lose access to an ICU bed because Johnson took it instead. But there is no extra treatment they can give.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement