Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boris Johnson out of hospital 12/04

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

fryup wrote: »
    yes agreed, but he'll be as popular as ever after this

Nothing would surprise me given that the electorate in the UK have shown a remarkable collective stupidity in recent years culminating in the chancer Johnson ending up as Prime Minister. In reality Johnson should be strung up from a lamppost for his gambling with people's lives at the beginning of the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bold Boris kinda reminds me of Major Charles Ingram the chap who cheated on Who Wants to be a Millionaire

a total chancer

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nothing would surprise me given that the electorate in the UK have shown a remarkable collective stupidity in recent years culminating in the chancer Johnson ending up as Prime Minister. In reality Johnson should be strung up from a lamppost for his gambling with people's lives at the beginning of the crisis.

Can you tell me which electorate you deem to be clever? And also qualify that with a reason.

You also suggest that a prime minister should be lynched for not dealing with an unprecedented (at least in modern times) pandemic.

While I don't agree with the choices made by the UK, your stance doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Yes yes yes. Everyone who doesn’t agree with you is stupid, and should go away.
    This is the standard position to hold when you’re 6 years old.
    You are 6 years old, aren’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Can you tell me which electorate you deem to be clever? And also qualify that with a reason.

You also suggest that a prime minister should be lynched for not dealing with an unprecedented (at least in modern times) pandemic.

While I don't agree with the choices made by the UK, your stance doesn't sit well with me.
    By the looks of it, his decision to go the herd Immunity route at the start of the crisis has cost the UK maybe thousands of unnecessary deaths.

He should certainly pay a political price, but I think there's a fair argument that if a comparable reckless decision was made by a private corporation or by an official, you'd be looking at a criminal negligence investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Phoebas wrote: »
    By the looks of it, his decision to go the herd Immunity route at the start of the crisis has cost the UK maybe thousands of unnecessary deaths.

He should certainly pay a political price, but I think there's a fair argument that if a comparable reckless decision was made by a private corporation or by an official, you'd be looking at a criminal negligence investigation.

So who’s advice should the PM have taken and on what grounds? Do you feel the same about the PMs of France Italy Spain and more or less every other country or is it just BJ?

splinter65 wrote: »
    So who’s advice should the PM have taken and on what grounds? Do you feel the same about the PMs of France Italy Spain and more or less every other country or is it just BJ?

It's clear that the UK took a dangerous course of action at the start and then changed course when it became clear to the government what was already clear to most everyone else.

There will be an enquiry after this and we'll find out what advise was being given and what advise was being listened to. It appears that they followed one set of advise at the start and then did a U-turn.
    The question for the enquiry will be was that reasonable or reckless?

What are you trying to say here? You say you don’t agree with the choices made by the UK electorate, but you’re looking to argue on their behalf? Let’s just stick to the British electorate for the sake of your argument; I wouldn’t have ever been a fan of any Tory government and Tony Blair has his faults too but it’s certainly the case that in the recent past the British elected politicians with more substance who would have dealt far more effectively with a crisis like this.

Does it not? Well now that’s unfortunate. Tell that to the people who died directly because Johnson gambled on so called “advice” that he thought would give the British economy an edge but then backtracked very quickly but too late for too many who were exposed directly because of him and the other chancers he has surrounded himself with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh
    This article is pretty damning of Boris Johnson's leadership...totally asleep at the wheel

It's clear that the UK took a dangerous course of action at the start and then changed course when it became clear to the government what was already clear to most everyone else.

There will be an enquiry after this and we'll find out what advise was being given and what advise was being listened to. It appears that they followed one set of advise at the start and then did a U-turn.
    The question for the enquiry will be was that reasonable or reckless?

There should be an enquiry and at the very least he should pay politically with his job for the shambolic gamble that backfired spectacularly that he took unnecessarily.

However it appears we live in odd times where politicians make spectacular errors of judgement but they’ve got a cult like following who shield them no matter what. A following that were lured into the mistake of supporting them in the first place who then don’t have the maturity to acknowledge their error and instead double down on their initial mistake. See Brexit as an example.

See Trump in the US as another who is the absolute chancer that Johnson is trying to ape. Trump’s handling of this has been predictably deplorable yet his base rally to his personal cause (to the detriment of themselves and their fellow citizens) and it appears he’s more likely than ever to secure a second term.

The British electorate over recent years have followed the US electorate down the toilet. If they continue to fail to take responsibility for their own choices and instead double down on their mistakes then the idiot Trumplite Johnson might get away with it. He should most definitely be sacked.

• Advertisement

He should most definitely be sacked.
    The only people that can sack him are his party or parliament.
    That's not going to happen.
    Boris won't be properly held accountable until well after this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Fixed this for you

In the meantime he should be hammered by all and sundry. He’s getting a very easy ride at the moment, look at some of the sycophantic gibberish on this thread. Him getting the virus got him off the hook for a while, when this settles he should be hung drawn and quartered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

gmisk wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh
    This article is pretty damning of Boris Johnson's leadership...totally asleep at the wheel

Below is a link to that article not behind the paywall, as you said it's pretty damning of Johnson's handling of the crisis or more accurately his lack of handling

https://archive.is/hBnH4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

If this had happened in the UK pre 2016 Boris would already be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

RoryMac wrote: »
    Below is a link to that article not behind the paywall, as you said it's pretty damning of Johnson's handling of the crisis or more accurately his lack of handling

https://archive.is/hBnH4

Damning indeed. Almost unbelievable level of incompetence.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As it says in the title, he's out of hospital now, and it seems that no-one posting here now has any interest in his health

There's another thread discussing the UK approach to this virus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement