Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boris Johnson out of hospital 12/04

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Is St Thomas' not an NHS hospital?

St Thomas is NHS. Just across the bridge from Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

Is St Thomas' not an NHS hospital?

It is, but I would expect that he's still getting preferential treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

briany wrote: »

Wtf is preferential treatment? You keep mentioning it. There are beds, there are ventilators and there are antibiotics. What is this illusionary treatment you have in your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Have you ever worked in the NHS?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

I hope he can pull through to be fair, only because with brexit and everything else the country may decend further into chaos, if this gets dragged out for months.
    Ireland had shown a good level of copon and coping with the restrictions.
    But this a classic case of I told you so for him as a person.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    Poster declared that among other things Stanley Johnson is rich. Some people are stupid and ill informed enough to believe that only moneyed people get to go to a public school or a top uni.
    The Johnson’s just happens to be very smart.
    They’re not poor but they’re not wealthy either.
    I think that’s what annoys people the most about Boris really. It’s “oh look at that silly looking man he must be an absolute thick! Let’s all laugh and point at him and we’ll feel better about ourselves”.
    Then it turns out he’s not stupid at all.

I like the way you explain it - it’s an inverse class bias. And the British Left are really guilty of it.

I personally really hate it. I’m more American in my attitude. I don’t care what class you are. If you are sound , I’ll have a pint with you. Have met tons of upper class English that way during my time here in Sasana. Great characters..

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

s1ippy wrote: »
    Absolutely, I wouldn't trust myself to make those decisions with impartiality. I wouldn't seek to pursue this career. In the face of this pandemic I am a coward in the highest order.

I can't lie to myself. Watching somebody whose actions are directly responsible for increased deaths struggle with the very virus they downplayed for the sake of the economy feels very much like chickens coming home to roost. That said, I wouldn't wish the fate of those with this virus on my worst enemy. Suffocating on one's own sputum is not a dignified or preferable death, nobody deserves it.

Well, I’m pro saving lives no matter their ideology, politics or my personal views... one of my mates - a Consultant is tubed in a Dublin ICU tonight. I think your attitude is despicable. I try to be kind when posting on these things but, honestly, you need To consider just stopping posting for a day and consider coming back after you’ve gotten a bit of humanity and kindness back.

I despise your attitude but I’d still treat you as well as my best friend if you got sick and I was treating you. So would my mate who is tubed in ICU right now. Maybe you should go and have a think about not posting until you can be as kind towards others as he was while he was working to save the lives of people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Not a fan of Boris at all but I don't think he's that bad a bloke really, a little mad though for someone leading a western nation in difficult times. If it was Trump or Farage on a ventilator I would find it much harder to be as kind.

He’s the PM. Of course he’s getting preferential treatment. It’s called “reality”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

easypazz wrote: »
    Yeah he is a proper genius, going around shaking coronavirus patients hands.

Didn't happen, most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

2u2me wrote: »
    Wtf is preferential treatment? You keep mentioning it. There are beds, there are respirators and there are antibiotics. What is this illusionary treatment you have in your head?

I mean that if it came to the point that if doctors had to make a decision between who got a ventilator, Johnson or a 20-something in similar distress, it would be Johnson who gets it. I mean doctors being specifically assigned to Johnson and only to him for the duration of his stay. I mean his case being under a gimlet eye above and beyond what can be done for the more 'ordinary', shall we say, patients at the hospital.

He’s the PM. Of course he’s getting preferential treatment. It’s called “reality”.

You think he's getting a better standard of nursing care to the other patients on the icu?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

easypazz wrote: »
    Herd immunity.

Cheltenham went ahead.

Delayed the lockdown.

Completely avoided using EU medical advice as it might make Mr. Brexit look weak.

Never wanted to be on a similar process to EU countries, wanted to do it the British way to show everybody that the EU was an irrelevance.

Nothing competent about it.

He’s a shît dithering, incompetent PM and this crisis has totally shown up his limitations as a leader, decision maker and communicator.

that said as a bloke, person he doesn’t seem exactly the worst in the Tory cannon just in all likelihood not up to the job he found himself in.

Hope he can pull through for himself and family.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

s1ippy wrote: »
    You're embarrassing yourself with all that tongue-work. You know the virus is transferable via fecal matter?

Did you read that in the Daily Mail? What did you think of the queen's speech, I thought it was SIMPLY FABULOUS.

Kings Scholarships are typically given to students based on their family name and influence. What on earth do you have to gain by spending all this time defending them? Would you prefer that this was just an echo chamber of your design where everyone is falling over themselves to say how great rich people are?

#PrayforBojo

There's only one person embarrassing themselves on this thread, and it sure ain't the person you're quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

You think he's getting a better standard of nursing care to the other patients on the icu?

I’d be surprised if he wasn’t tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 KingofSheep

St. Thomas' is an ECMO centre. Fancy ITU treatment for severe respiratory failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Of course Johnson should get special treatment. His role is a unique role and in crises the survivability but also the replaceability of people is a factor. As Prime Minister he is crucial to their response and as such warrants increased levels of monitoring and care.

This isn’t unfair, it is the reality of medical management of crises. He is less replaceable than the average punter so he gets more resources because him dying will disrupt the response significantly more than the average punter’s death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

splinter65 wrote: »
    Poster declared that among other things Stanley Johnson is rich. Some people are stupid and ill informed enough to believe that only moneyed people get to go to a public school or a top uni.
    The Johnson’s just happens to be very smart.
    They’re not poor but they’re not wealthy either.
    I think that’s what annoys people the most about Boris really. It’s “oh look at that silly looking man he must be an absolute thick! Let’s all laugh and point at him and we’ll feel better about ourselves”.
    Then it turns out he’s not stupid at all.

An expert in Classical literature is an obvious choice for world leader.

KiKi III wrote: »

In what way do you think it would differ from that given to anyone else unfortunate enough to find themselves in an icu bed?

Unlikely I'd imagine. They do the best they can for everyone I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He's been moved to ICU on a 'precaution' and doesn't need a ventilator.

I believe Joe public wouldn't have been moved just as a precaution and without needing help breathing given how ICU beds are at a premium in a pandemic.

I reckon, quite rightly, they can't have a situation where there's no bed or ventilator available for the head of the country so he's been moved earlier than a regular punter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

What do you think he'd be getting that others aren't?

Not a fan of Boris at all.

There’s no reason to start with a negative. You aren’t the only one - have been seeing similar for hours now.

Can’t we just be more human and just wish the guy well?

( Trump excepted of course. And I’m a right winger.. can’t stand the guy either. But for reasons that would get me banned from Boards.ie. . )

In what way do you think it would differ from that given to anyone else unfortunate enough to find themselves in an icu bed?

I’d imagine he’s getting more time and attention than an average ICU patient. Probably having his vitals monitored more closely. I don’t really know what happens in an ICU but I am pretty sure that hospital will not want to be known as the one Boris Johnson died in. So I think he’ll probably be given top priority treatment.

Of course Johnson should get special treatment. His role is a unique role and in crises the survivability but also the replaceability of people is a factor. As Prime Minister he is crucial to their response and as such warrants increased levels of monitoring and care.

This isn’t unfair, it is the reality of medical management of crises. He is less replaceable than the average punter so he gets more resources because him dying will disrupt the response significantly more than the average punter’s death.

Him getting monitored more closely than others in ICU is not possible. Everyone in critical condition in ICU is already getting monitored as closely as possible. There is no additional/ extra level of monitoring.

Him getting monitored more closely than others in ICU is not possible. Everyone in critical condition in ICU is already getting monitored as closely as possible. There is no additional/ extra level of monitoring.

You know the poster you’re correcting is the doctor doing the coronavirus AMA here on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

8-10 wrote: »
    He's been moved to ICU on a 'precaution' and doesn't need a ventilator.

I believe Joe public wouldn't have been moved just as a precaution and without needing help breathing given how ICU beds are at a premium in a pandemic.

I reckon, quite rightly, they can't have a situation where there's no bed or ventilator available for the head of the country so he's been moved earlier than a regular punter

Do you honestly believe its only a "precaution" at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I will not be an ordinary man because I have a right to be extraordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

There’s no reason to start with a negative. You aren’t the only one - have been seeing similar for hours now.

Can’t we just be more human and just wish the guy well?

( Trump excepted of course. And I’m a right winger.. can’t stand the guy either. But for reasons that would get me banned from Boards.ie. . )

I already did so. I said it would be a huge blow to the UK to lose their leader. And of course his family aswell. As a right winger can I ask you what turned you against Trump finally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Why would you think that? You’re alleging that the medics aren’t working equally hard with all the patients. Why would you insult them like that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement