Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Espaliers

Options
  • 06-04-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Just planted a Wisteria into the back garden today on a west facing wall but I left it on the support cane for the time being. I was going to put a plastic mesh behind it and intertwine the branches but I read online that this isn't the best as the branches grow. So I've been reading up on espaliers and am just wondering if anyone here has trained a wisteria on one? And it is simply 3mm wire about 12 inches apart horizontally and then wrap the branches around it? And lastly, I also have a star jasmine (only in the ground a year) in a mesh but I'm wondering if an espalier might be a better option?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I would recommend an espalier for the Wisteria as it likes to grow that way anyway, you'd barely need to train it.
    The Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum) will be fine on the mesh as long as the diameter is at least an inch or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks, wasn’t too sure if the jasmine would get too big for the mesh

Advertisement