Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful skills to learn in a pandemic

Options
  • 06-04-2020 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I'm (was) a successful performer and also run (ran) a backline hire company for events.
    For the first time in my life I'm completely out of work and won't be working in this field until ALL restrictions are lifted (ie until events of 1000 people are deemed OK). I think this could take a long while.

I feel a bit useless in this weird new world and need to learn some skills quickly that could get me some work. What would you recon are things that could be learned quickly, and make a few bob?
    Since I live with someone who's immuno-compromised not all options are open. For example, I would have driven a van in the course of what I did before so the first thing I would have thought was to apply as a driver for deliveries, but can't really do that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Shocking figures released yesterday of 700,000 claiming benefits at the moment. The country is in lockdown and unless you can provide an essential service then you cannot put anything you learn into practice.

So you need to learn an essential service. Food production. Learn to make cheese, butter or yogurt. Learn how to bake bread. Make your own sourdough starter and get into the wonderful world of sourdough breads.

Go onto https://collect.pallasfoods.com/ and see what else you can buy in bulk and turn into something that others can buy.

Hope that helps a little Daniel. Give our best to Majella. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you have even a basic IT background, a few companies are hiring remote support staff at present. Especially those based in the US as they need support during European working hours.

Either way, I'd recommend brushing up on the IT/code skills if you have never delved in before. They'll always stand to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Without knowing what form on entertainment, it's difficult to provide some suggestions but....

Can what you do be monetised in an alternative why?

Could you do do a train or teaching version of line of what you do?

What are your core skills and are they transferable?

Do you understand your revenues and cash flow well?

Can you do anything now that will help with when you start up again?

How much do you have to spend before you get paid etc?

The amount of self employed people who would benefit from understanding their margins, working capital management etc is huge?

What are you biggest cash outlays to run your business? Are their cheaper alternatives that would be replaced to ensure you have more cash in your pocket?

Can you spend time of a business development /recovery plan?

What are your key selling points?

Why would someone give you business verses others in your sector?

When you can work again, what will get your revenues up quickest?

Can you target certain sectors that will still have their salaries? Spending power? Civil servants? Supermarket staff? Health care workers etc?

What transferable skills have you? What companies will have income to pay you?

When you can work again, what does your best first 30 days look like? Who are the people you need to contact with to make this happen etc?

What are your profiling and marketing skills like?

Cash flow course, marketing & promotion skills etc. will always stand you know.

There's also a covid 19 jobs thread that might be worth looking at.

I know this is not really what you are looking for but hope it helps in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Thanks very much and sorry for not replying sooner.
    It's music I work(ed) in. :-)
    Luckily I've no serious overheads, I'm just a freelancer.
    The equipment I'd hire out has zero use outside of live events so that's gone for now.
    I can do a small bit of teaching online and I am doing that but any income from that will be very very part-time at best. There may be a few other small bits and pieces in this area. I don't create my own music, only play other people's stuff (with other people), so don't have something to sell of my own as such.

I am good at numbers though. I have a degree and MSc in a tough numerical field (which I never used for actually getting a job). They're around 10 years old though so I'd be well rusty and would need to upskill (plus, the degree isn't really job-focussed). Data science or something like that would be good for me, but I need to get better at coding. Started doing that the last couple of weeks. Will see where it goes ...

Thanks again!

Advertisement