Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac very slow

Options
  • 07-04-2020 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Bough a new Mac in about 15 months ago, running Mojave os version 10.14.6,
    2.3 GHz intel core i5
    8GB DDR4 Ram

It is so slow to open any apps or software, as per factory installed / standard software, I only installed Microsoft office, team viewer and 1 other.

Any ideas on how or why it would be slow.
    My 10 year old Sony laptop works faster

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

When you say slow to open any apps, is it like 10 seconds to open Word etc?
    How long does say text edit take to open?

Do you have one of the slow spinning disks in an iMac?
    If so these would be slower to open apps compared to any laptop over the past decade.
    For example the 2017 iMac 21 inch by default has a dual core CPU with spinning disk, and these do seem pretty slow.
    Once the app is open should be OK, but anything that involves writing or reading from disk will always be slow compared to SSD/flash storage we are all used to now.

The 13 inch MacBook Pro 2018 also ad a 2.3 i5, so if this is what you have then you should be getting decent performance.
    I would open Activity monitor and see if any process is takin up CPU etc, as if recently re insulted could be Spotlight indexing drive, or Photos scanning and uploading library to iCloud etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If you tend to leave a lot of apps open in the background, or you need to run/use multiple apps at the same time, you will probably find that 8GB isn't really enough.

As brav says, a spinning HD will be a lot slower than an SSD, and this will be even more frustrating if you don't have enough RAM, as the HD gets used as virtual memory.

Advertisement