Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of ownership issue (gave new owner logbook)

Options
  • 07-04-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Looking for some advice on dealing with a change of ownership problem. Last year I sold my motorbike on Donedeal. It was pretty old and not being used and also declared off the road for about 2 years. A guy contacted me and then bought it off me for a few hundred euro. Handed over the VRC and he said he would send it in and sort out the change of ownership which I stupidly said yes to. :(

Just recently I got a letter from the motor tax office looking to tax or declare the bike off the road. So the change of ownership never happened and I no longer have any contact info for this guy. I know I should have completed it and posted it myself and the onus is on me. I just was not thinking at all.

Looking online I can't see any info for a situation like this. If anyone can point me in the right direction or would have any advice that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

I'd ring the tax office and explain the situation, see if that does any good.

I'm guessing you could declare it off the road too and never hear about it again cos the record is deleted when the new owner eventually sends off the VRC to Shannon.

Or you could ignore the situation and if something happens you can explain the bike was sold on such and such a date. Try gather up some evidence of that like your old Donedeal ad, any messages, photos etc in case you'd ever need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I would avoid declaring it SORD as that will imply ownership.
    Just ring Shannon and explain your case. If you're lucky you will get somebody understanding on the other end who will remove you as the owner. Up to you, but I would record the call just as a back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Pretty sure you need to get onto a Local Ombudsman to declare that the car is no longer in your possession and from what date.

Do this sooner rather than later Incase of any issues

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057973368&page=2

post #22 suggests that it is not the end of the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CyberPunkd

I rang the Motor Tax Office and got through to a very helpful woman who at first didnt know what I should do. She put me on hold asked around and found out that I just need to fill out a form which she would send out to me. Received the form the very next day. It is just a declaration form with three questions asking about the vehicle, reason of transfer and why I am unable to contact the buyer. Once I sign it and also get signed by a Commissioner of Oaths I have to post it to Shannon. Just hoping that I dont have to pay a fine. #lesson-learned

Thank you for all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I would avoid declaring it SORD as that will imply ownership.
    Just ring Shannon and explain your case. If you're lucky you will get somebody understanding on the other end who will remove you as the owner. Up to you, but I would record the call just as a back-up.

Remember if you record to the call, let the person know your recording at the start. Otherwise it's useless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

piplip87 wrote: »
    Remember if you record to the call, let the person know your recording at the start. Otherwise it's useless

You don't need to let people know the call is being recorded if you are on the call. Ireland is a single party consent country so as long as someone on the call gives consent (which you give to yourself when you start the recording) it's all legal and above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,453 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why would you need to record the call?

I often find that when dealing with public bodies you can be told one thing by a person and something completely different from the next person you talk to.
    It's handy to have a reference of what you were told the 1st time. Also they will often give their first name when answering and you will immediately forget it after the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

piplip87 wrote: »
    This is why you need to investigate before posting.
    As already pointed out by R.O.R:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/is-it-legal-to-record-someone-without-their-consent-1.3598275
    The definition of “interception” means that generally only “single party consent” is required for phone recordings in Ireland.
    Single-party consent means “it is not illegal to record a telephone conversation if one of the parties to the call consents to the recording,” says Catherine Allen, a partner in Mason Hayes & Curran Solicitors.
    This is in contrast to many other countries, where the permission of both parties is always needed.

Anyway, on topic.
    Glad it worked out for you OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

biko wrote: »
    This is why you need to investigate before posting.
    As already pointed out by R.O.R:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/is-it-legal-to-record-someone-without-their-consent-1.3598275

Anyway, on topic.
    Glad it worked out for you OP.

..ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

CyberPunkd wrote: »
    I rang the Motor Tax Office and got through to a very helpful woman who at first didnt know what I should do. She put me on hold asked around and found out that I just need to fill out a form which she would send out to me. Received the form the very next day. It is just a declaration form with three questions asking about the vehicle, reason of transfer and why I am unable to contact the buyer. Once I sign it and also get signed by a Commissioner of Oaths I have to post it to Shannon. Just hoping that I dont have to pay a fine. #lesson-learned

Thank you for all the replies.

There wasn't any fine in the first place...

Advertisement