Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovered

Options
  • 07-04-2020 11:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

It's all doom and gloom with this virus, has anyone tested positive and recovered? I'd like to hear more stories about recoveries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This map shows cases, deaths and recoveries
    https://interaktiv.morgenpost.de/corona-virus-karte-infektionen-deutschland-weltweit/

There are 25 persons recovered in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

biko wrote: »
    https://interaktiv.morgenpost.de/corona-virus-karte-infektionen-deutschland-weltweit/

Officially. In reality it will be tons more and even more with very mild cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, unofficial numbers may never come to light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The low number of Recovered used to add too my already high stress over this, but when you research it more you see that Ireland and many more aren't re-testing people to officially give them the Recovered tick

The priorities in testing, justifiably, lie elsewhere at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

To properly assess the recovered numbers we'd need not only the acute infection tests but also an antibody test that could be used on people who never got a test in the first place (due to mild or no symptoms). Those tests would have to be fast, cheap and avilable at near every street corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Hmmzis wrote: »
    To properly assess the recovered numbers we'd need not only the acute infection tests but also an antibody test that could be used on people who never got a test in the first place (due to mild or no symptoms). Those tests would have to be fast, cheap and avilable at near every street corner.
    True.

It would be useful though, for those who went through the experience, either with 'official' confirmation of the disease, or not, to share their experience.

Would put people at ease. It's the not knowing what it entails that is the head-wrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I'd say there's a lot more than 25 recovered in Ireland!

fr336 wrote: »
    I'd definitely like to head of the 'mild' cases, though in THOSE cases, preferably someone who was clinically diagnosed as having the virus.

Seems 77 have officially recovered in Ireland, according to the link above.
    ETA The Deutschland figures are very encouraging. They must have the testing and post testing in place.

I did not get tested (not vulnerable or front line worker) but two doctors on the phone during and one since have told me I almost certainly had it.

Illness lasted about nine days, getting progressively worse until just before the end. Very high temperatures (touched 40 a few times), for about four days couldn't eat or do anything. A lot of aches and sweating. Cough got progressively worse and more violent but never really bad. Fortunately no shortness of breath other than due to tiredness and exhaustion.

Took over a week after the fever went down to fully recover. Very weak, still coughing etc. Long process!

Doctor's advice was to stay home, self isolate and get through it. Positive was that it was very easy to get a doctor on the phone for reassurance at any time.

Apparently there are plenty of people like me who had it and aren't in any statistics, or at least that's what the doctors told me.

• Advertisement

I did not get tested (not vulnerable or front line worker) but two doctors on the phone during and one since have told me I almost certainly had it.

Illness lasted about nine days, getting progressively worse until just before the end. Very high temperatures (touched 40 a few times), for about four days couldn't eat or do anything. A lot of aches and sweating. Cough got progressively worse and more violent but never really bad. Fortunately no shortness of breath other than due to tiredness and exhaustion.

Took over a week after the fever went down to fully recover. Very weak, still coughing etc. Long process!

Doctor's advice was to stay home, self isolate and get through it. Positive was that it was very easy to get a doctor on the phone for reassurance at any time.

Apparently there are plenty of people like me who had it and aren't in any statistics, or at least that's what the doctors told me.
    Thanks Orinoco. Sounds pretty much like a flu I had 20 years ago in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

That was man-flu lol

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Thanks Orinoco. Sounds pretty much like a flu I had 20 years ago in Spain.
    Not that I'm disparaging your contribution/ comment in any way whatsoever.

Your experience sounds exactly like the Covid 19 symptoms - which are akin to the flu, but obviously more dangerous re respiratory issues (from which I suffer).

I'm hoping we'll hear from some folk who went through the full range, especially the respiratory side of things, and any strain of the heart - as these seem to be the more dangerous potential outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

fr336 wrote:

Id love to know where they got the figure of 25. Several famous Irish people have gotten it and recovered. Ciara Kelly, Ryan Tubridy, Claire Byrne are three names that have recovered. What are the odds of these three being part of only 25 recovered?

All of the official Irish figures, good & bad, seems dodgy to me

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

My 89 yr old Aunt had the virus but has now recovered :):):):)
    I am so relieved.. she is in a nursing home.. been a tough 2 weeks..
    Endless thanks and praise to the staff who have nursed her back to good health.

I thought M Harris mentioned a 69% recovery rate? Not sure. Can't imagine I heard right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Just wondering about the mild cases really. I know directly of 2 cases. One, elderly and unfortunately died from the disease. The other late thirties, had a flu for a week, but 2 months later still battling deep fatigue.
    Hoping to hear stories of peoples actual experiences of having covid19

Wondering if there are mild cases that are symptom free after 2 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Just wondering about the mild cases really. I know directly of 2 cases. One, elderly and unfortunately died from the disease. The other late thirties, had a flu for a week, but 2 months later still battling deep fatigue.
    Hoping to hear stories of peoples actual experiences of having covid19

Wondering if there are mild cases that are symtom free after 2 weeks..

I had it back at the start of May. 3 days of sitting on the couch and poor nights sleep. After day 3, some residual fatigue by late evening each day but fine during the day to work and do light exercise, at home. About 12 days after first symptoms, back to 100%. A month later, running 5km faster than ever before so no medium or long term effects as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I know two people, one mid 40s the other late 50s. One ended up in hospital for 2 weeks in early May and is still not back to full fitness. The other had 'mild' symptoms in that they were not hospitalised but was very ill at home for about a week. She too took a couple of months before she was back to previous fitness levels and has fatigue issues still. Neither had underlying issues, weight problems etc.

• Advertisement

Mods apologies i note the typo in the post title, can you fix please?

Golfman64 wrote: »
    I had it back at the start of May. 3 days of sitting on the couch and poor nights sleep. After day 3, some residual fatigue by late evening each day but fine during the day to work and do light exercise, at home. About 12 days after first symptoms, back to 100%. A month later, running 5km faster than ever before so no medium or long term effects as far as I am aware.

Thank you glad your back to normal!!

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I know two people, one mid 40s the other late 50s. One ended up in hospital for 2 weeks in early May and is still not back to full fitness. The other had 'mild' symptoms in that they were not hospitalised but was very ill at home for about a week. She too took a couple of months before she was back to previous fitness levels and has fatigue issues still. Neither had underlying issues, weight problems etc.

Thank you. There seems to he so many with lingering effects i was wondering how mild was 'mild'

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Advertisement