Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Home and Samsung TV

• 07-04-2020 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi I have just set up my google home and 2 google nest minis in my house. I have linked them to control my tvs and washing machine etc. I am just wondering if I can use voice commands to tell my tv to play a certain show on Netflix. I can turn the tvs on and off using goggle home but when I try to play something on Netflix it won’t allow me. I have my Netflix account linked to my google home. The two tvs are a Samsung q60r and a Samsung 7 series. Also can I use google home to change stations on my tv, I have virgin media. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Mick00 wrote: »
    Hi I have just set up my google home and 2 google nest minis in my house. I have linked them to control my tvs and washing machine etc. I am just wondering if I can use voice commands to tell my tv to play a certain show on Netflix. I can turn the tvs on and off using goggle home but when I try to play something on Netflix it won’t allow me. I have my Netflix account linked to my google home. The two tvs are a Samsung q60r and a Samsung 7 series. Also can I use google home to change stations on my tv, I have virgin media. Thanks

I think you need a Chromecast or Android TV for that. I have a Samsung smart TV but as I have a Nvidia shield I never use the smart functions

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mick00

Thanks for the reply yes after doing a bit more digging it appears the Samsung TVs don’t have chromecast built-in, so I would need to hook one up to the tvs. Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

+1 on the Chromcast, but if you can afford it I would get the Shield, there's a lot of additional functionality that it brings to the TV and links to Google home, I've a 4 year old that can control the TV by talking to it, might seem a stupid thing but it means I don't have to sit beside her for ages picking what she wants to watch, very handy when working from home.

Clareman wrote: »
    +1 on the Chromcast, but if you can afford it I would get the Shield, there's a lot of additional functionality that it brings to the TV and links to Google home, I've a 4 year old that can control the TV by talking to it, might seem a stupid thing but it means I don't have to sit beside her for ages picking what she wants to watch, very handy when working from home.

I'd even go so far as to say get a Mibox S over a Chromecast for not much more money. Gives you Google cast, Google assistant and Android TV with dedicated apps for Netflix, prime, Disney+, YouTube etc and a remote with a mic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I haven't seen that box before, looks the job, personally I'm a big fan of the Shield and use it for almost everything, if only I could get Nest to work on it I'd find it ideal

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    I haven't seen that box before, looks the job, personally I'm a big fan of the Shield and use it for almost everything, if only I could get Nest to work on it I'd find it ideal

A Mibox runs the same Android TV as the Shield. I have a Mibox in the kitchen (first one), a Mibox s in a bedroom, a fire stick 4k in another bedroom and a 2017 Shield in the sitting room. I've 3x Chromecasts lying here no longer used.

Advertisement