Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Noise - Dublin - 8th April

Options
  • 08-04-2020 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else heard this. Basically a very loud, shrill, uniform sound that seemed to pass over my apartment block in Dun Laoghaire moving from North to South, around 1.15am this morning 8th April 2020?

I can’t describe it any better than being exactly like something you’d hear in a movie about aliens...!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Propellor cargo plane going back to Birmingham? There's a daily twin prop late flight into Dublin from BHX, it's not one of the courier companies so probably mail and UK newspapers. A departing jet would have achieved sufficient altitude to not bother you too much in DL but the propellor planes climb more slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shambles_88

Thanks coylemj, I’ve looked up sample sounds of this on YouTube and this is definitely the closest sounding example, strange that I’ve never heard it before (living here 6months) but I’ll definitely keep my ears peeled for it in future and try to catch a glimpse if possible. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Download flight radar and it’ll identify what’s flying above you. Or anywhere n the world in real time

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭65535

Very low background traffic noise, very few flights mean it's easier to hear flights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Flights using more direct paths due to open air space...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else heard this. Basically a very loud, shrill, uniform sound that seemed to pass over my apartment block in Dun Laoghaire moving from North to South, around 1.15am this morning 8th April 2020?

I can’t describe it any better than being exactly like something you’d hear in a movie about aliens...!

Thanks

Are you sure it's not G O'D gone off on another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Flights using more direct paths due to open air space...

That hardly applies in the case of the Dublin region where there's only one airport with one active runway. The major factor which determines routing is the wind direction and whether they're doing maintenance on the main (28/10) west-east runway.

When the wind is from the north or south and/or they're doing maintenance on the main runway, they start to use the north/south (34/16) runway. If the wind is from the north and they're using the 34/16 runway, inbound flights fly to an aviation waypoint on the coast just north of Greystones, they then turn and line up at a bearing of 340 (magnetic) and head straight for the airport. This flight path takes them over Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock.

When the wind is from the south, planes taking off from 34/16 will head south and as I mentioned above, propellor planes won't have attained a significant altitude when passing over the southside so you'll hear them more than you will hear a jet on the same flight path.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are you sure it's not G O'D gone off on another one?

:D They could play her voice at all the beaches, nobody would turn up.

She'll be claiming it was a flock of 5G superbats released by Bill Gates.

Advertisement