Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to place new Veg patch

Options
  • 08-04-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to put in a new Veg section in the Garden have given up a few years ago with family life taking over. Will be growing in containers and fencing off to keep the dogs at bay for the minute.

Trying to decide on where best to place this patch. Have a south facing garden which is a real sun trap getting a lot of sun right into the evening. Could place the patch facing west which would get south and west evening sun all day however it is hot and some herbs we had in that position burnt away......

Would putting some veg like potatoes, carrots, peas, lettuce, tomatoes and some herbs work east facing in partial shade?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have same south facing but small garden surrounded by high walls and some trees (:( ). Over the years my veg patch has settled towards the back so semi shaded. Only real problem I ever had was growing tomatoes as they would not ripen as no part of garden could ensure enough hours of sun to ripen even in the sunniest spot. I now have a raised bed and that probably helps warm up soil from what might be a damp cold spot. So it depends what you want to grow.... herbs usually like hot spot save for mint = happy in damper area.

Advertisement