Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin is NOT significantly more infected than any other county.

Options
  • 08-04-2020 12:29pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The suggest was made on the 6-One news that Dublin be stopped from travelling and left in lockdown while the rest of the country wasnt (it was a question to the CMO).

I'm not suggesting Dubliners head off to Kerry for the weekend, in fact I'm suggesting that NO ONE DOES. I'm also saying there is little evidence to treat Dublin differently (as Twitter has been very vocal about today with some pretty nasty comments from non-Dubliners).

Quick analysis of infections by county. (data from Gov.ie)

Dublin is up there at the top alright. Now consider that 1,300 healthcare workers are infected and lets guess that 2/3rds are in Dublin hospitals.

Removing them out brings Dublin down to 0.15 which is about the middle of the leading pack.

Dublin has bigger numbers, because Dublin is... wait for it... bigger. 1.3M Live here... but its not really more infected by % than anywhere else particularly.

Lets not lose our social cohesion and unity because some people cant understand %'s and math.

508764.jpg

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the way to think about this is simply:

If you meet someone from Dublin and someone from Cavan they have about the same likelihood of being infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

DeVore wrote: »
    Lets not lose our social cohesion and unity because some people cant understand %'s and math
    these are pre-existing animosities, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but what's the rationale behind removing healthcare workers from the figures? Everywhere has healthcare workers, is Dublin particularly dense with them? Even if so why remove them?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I see too many stats. Now I want to see percentage of those infected, vs those tested, by county. Have to stop looking at all these power bi videos...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you meet someone from Dublin and someone from Cavan they have about the same likelihood of being infected.
    Not simply at all and quite obviously not. You're more likely to meet someone who is infected in Dublin than you are in Cavan, "because Dublin is... wait for it... bigger" and has a higher population density. So for all your understanding of % and "math" yet again wood for the trees thinking on display. And I've not seen any loss of "social cohesion" of late.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well, your figures show that Dublin is significantly more infected!

Removing healthcare workers doesn't particularly make a difference, these people are still infected, yes they often take more precautions than your average man but many still go to supermarkets/takeaways which is your main social contact nowadays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not simply at all and quite obviously not. You're more likely to meet someone who is infected in Dublin than you are in Cavan, "because Dublin is... wait for it... bigger" and has a higher population density. So for all your understanding of % and "math" yet again wood for the trees thinking on display. And I've not seen any loss of "social cohesion" of late.
    That's not what he said though.

Take one person from Dublin and one person from Cavan, and they have an equal chance of being infected.

The fact that there are more people in Dublin to meet is irrelevant, but seems to be part of your argument.

As an addendum, I have a special hatred for people who use the word "math"... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Do you not have to factor in the likelihood of meeting someone from Dublin and Cavan to get the actual risk factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thats not correct though.
    Someone in Dublin is more likely to be infected, exactly because we have more healthcare workers.

Someone from Dublin and someone from Cavan have the same inherent likelihood of getting infected, but due to their environs, someone from Dublin is more likely to get/be infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

cdeb wrote: »

Take one person from Dublin and one person from Cavan, and they have an equal chance of being infected.

The fact that there are more people in Dublin to meet is irrelevant, but seems to be part of your argument.

As an addendum, I have a special hatred for people who use the word "math"... :)

Not from those figures provided though. It clearly shows that take 1 person from Dublin and 1 person from Cavan and the Dublin person is more likely to have it. Removing healthcare workers at an imaginary guesswork number doesn't particularly add much weight.

• Advertisement

Bottom line is, unless you are avoiding healthcare workers in your day to day, you simply cant remove them from the stats.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not from those figures provided though. It clearly shows that take 1 person from Dublin and 1 person from Cavan and the Dublin person is more likely to have it. Removing healthcare workers at an imaginary guesswork number doesn't particularly add much weight.

You could equally remove all the people that have it and then every country has the exact same infection rate....and it would be just as useful :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But it's not irrelevant C. Yes in isolation it is, or you have the horn for maths, but in the actual real world it's mindwank. The true fact(tm) remains that if you are in a high population dense area you're more likely to meet someone who is infected. If I put you in a room with a bloke from Cavan, or a bloke from Dublin, yep the odds are even. However if I put you in a room with ten people...
    That we agree on C. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Do you not have to factor in the likelihood of meeting someone from Dublin and Cavan to get the actual risk factor?

Higher risk for meeting a Cavan person.

Not a Cavan low blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wexford is interesting, given it has a population of 150,000

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

Quick analysis of infections by county. (data from Gov.ie)

Dublin is up there at the top alright. Now consider that 1,300 healthcare workers are infected and lets guess that 2/3rds are in Dublin hospitals.

Removing them out brings Dublin down to 0.15 which is about the middle of the leading pack.

Why aren't you removing 2/3rds of the stats for the other counties, are their healthcare workers magically more immune?:confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,249 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Obviously pretending almost half the cases in Dublin don't count would make it appear to have a lower infection rate :confused:

TBH I'm finding all these projections to be largely a waste of bloody time. No matter how good anyone is at sums and countin' an' that, the data is foggy at best, useless at worst. Take this example. It's based on what test results? The same testing programme that's to be kind kinda lagging behind with some people weeks waiting for results? How many are not being tested? How many won't bother going for testing? How many asymptomatic cases are in the population? How many testing centres in which areas? Crap data in - fancy number crunching - crap data out. I;m reminded of the US army intelligence crowd running projections on computers in the Vietnam war, that when they were pulling out diplomats from their Saigon embassy the projections were telling them they were winning...

The only numbers we can actually go on with any confidence are our population size, ICU numbers and deaths.* That's your lot. Anything else is plucked from the sky and utter conjecture and distraction. Now I'll happily admit I run outa mathmatical ability when I run outa fingers, but when I see things like "projections" ranging from 5,000 dead to 50,000 dead my BS detector starts banging into the red zone.

*in some cases I'm sure there are deaths from covid that aren't tracked, or deaths with covid rather than from it, but likely small enough?

Why are you removing health care workers?

Doesn't make a huge amount of sense. We are people too. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

TBH I'm finding all these projections to be largely a waste of bloody time

You could argue this whole forum is a waste of time :)

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    You could argue this whole forum is a waste of time :)
    Or a happy distraction. :D Actually, I really don't believe it's a waste of time at all. We need an outlet for discussion, to debate and agree and disagree. If we were only going on what the HSE etc were telling us we'd be in the dark way more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Well that's true. Comparing an infection rate of 0.227% to 0.161% means that Dublin is around 40% more infected than Cavan, and ten times more infected than Carlow (although I don't know at what stage statistical significance comes in, because the numbers in Carlow are tiny). Healthcare workers are people too of course.
    But it's not irrelevant C. Yes in isolation it is, or you have the horn for maths, but in the actual real world it's mindwank. The true fact(tm) remains that if you are in a high population dense area you're more likely to meet someone who is infected. If I put you in a room with a bloke from Cavan, or a bloke from Dublin, yep the odds are even. However if I put you in a room with ten people...
    You may be more likely to meet someone with coronavirus in Dublin, but the initial premise was that Dublin isn't significantly more infected than elsewhere. Population density doesn't come into that argument at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Normally love your posts DeVore but a strong disagree on your reasoning behind this. You can't just take the HSE numbers out of the Dublin figures :confused:

When the dust settles on this it'll be capital/major cities with the highest numbers in their country.

See: New York, London (in time) and - yes - Dublin

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

GreeBo wrote: »
    Bottom line is, unless you are avoiding healthcare workers in your day to day, you simply cant remove them from the stats.
    I removed them because

1. right now they are far to busy to be going anywhere.

2. they dont just treat Dubliners, people are shipped to Dublin for treatment from all over the country and these health care workers got infected treating everyone so it seems a little "mean" to put them into Dublin numbers and then try to insinuate Dublin needs to be quarantined.

3. They are considerably more aware of the vectors of transmission and far less likely to break social measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Is that because they subtracted the "S" ... or because they are adding to the already flagrant use of Americanisms in our daily lives?

Please sum up for us, exactly what your beef is dude? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There's no justification for removing healthcare workers in a statistics-based argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

GreeBo wrote: »

To be fair, people were avoiding me long before they knew what I did for a living.

The_Dave wrote: »
    Why aren't you removing 2/3rds of the stats for the other counties, are their healthcare workers magically more immune?:confused:

I feckin hope I'm immune, that'd be very handy :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

TBH I'm finding all these projections to be largely a waste of bloody time. No matter how good anyone is at sums and countin' an' that, the data is foggy at best, useless at worst. Take this example. It's based on what test results? The same testing programme that's to be kind kinda lagging behind with some people weeks waiting for results? How many are not being tested? How many won't bother going for testing? How many asymptomatic cases are in the population? How many testing centres in which areas? Crap data in - fancy number crunching - crap data out. I;m reminded of the US army intelligence crowd running projections on computers in the Vietnam war, that when they were pulling out diplomats from their Saigon embassy the projections were telling them they were winning...

The only numbers we can actually go on with any confidence are our population size, ICU numbers and deaths.* That's your lot. Anything else is plucked from the sky and utter conjecture and distraction. Now I'll happily admit I run outa mathmatical ability when I run outa fingers, but when I see things like "projections" ranging from 5,000 dead to 50,000 dead my BS detector starts banging into the red zone.

*in some cases I'm sure there are deaths from covid that aren't tracked, or deaths with covid rather than from it, but likely small enough?
    A very good point, and one I agree with BUT STILL a question was asked on RTE 6 One news as to whether Dublin should be locked down while the rest of the country is released.

What I'm showing here is that that was not based on ANY data and even using the "foggy" data we have at the moment certainly does NOT point in that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I removed them because

1. right now they are far to busy to be going anywhere.

2. they dont just treat Dubliners, people are shipped to Dublin for treatment from all over the country and these health care workers got infected treating everyone so it seems a little "mean" to put them into Dublin numbers and then try to insinuate Dublin needs to be quarantined.

3. They are considerably more aware of the vectors of transmission and far less likely to break social measures.

Decisions over whether to quarantine an area, ultimately comes down to size and population density.

A large city with a high pop density, is much harder to control... you have referred to vectors of transmission. Large cities are exactly that.

Locking down wuhan, probably saved millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Nice try, DeV.

But you’re still not allowed go to Connemara.

Advertisement