Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin is NOT significantly more infected than any other county.

Options
123457»

Comments

OP I think you're taking it too personally. No one is trying to victimise the Dubs. You appear to be trying to prove a point by putting up data that actually disproves your point.

Densely populated areas will have a higher percentage of infections, unless the virus never got in, and we all know it got into Dublin a long time ago.

Also with the level of testing being so poor, it's likely the infection rate in Dublin and the commute counties is way higher than recorded so far.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

400% increase in infections is significant. For example, Meath has 175 infections / population. Dublin is over 200% of this. Also, the main reason that counties neighbouring Dublin have higher rates is that people commute from places like Kildare, Meath et al.

according to the latest data:

dublin 0.47
    meath 0.208
    that is not 200% higher, its 125%

dublin 0.47
    kildare 0.255
    thats 84%

dublin 0.47
    wicklow 0.263
    thats 79%

dublin 0.47
    Louth 0.272
    thats 73%

so i can easily stand over what i said:
    personally i dont see approx 100% higher case rate to the surround counties as being in any way significant

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/0906df-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-thursday-16/#cases-as-of-tuesday-14-april

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

As others have mentioned, Dublin have 51% of all covid-19 cases while only being 28% of the population.

Some of this may be explained by a higher percentage of Dubliners getting tested but as far as I know there's no data for number of tests per county.

So until then we have to conclude that just by living in Dublin you're far more likely to be infected, common sense really for a more densely populated area, and all other counties should now be allowed go on weekend getaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

The overall gap will close, both down and up, over time. And the care home situation, described on RTE today by an expert as a separate epidemic, also points towards a much less significant difference in the rest of the community.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    according to the latest data:

dublin 0.47
    meath 0.208
    that is not 200% higher, its 125%

dublin 0.47
    kildare 0.255
    thats 84%

dublin 0.47
    wicklow 0.263
    thats 79%

dublin 0.47
    Louth 0.272
    thats 73%

so i can easily stand over what i said:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/0906df-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-thursday-16/#cases-as-of-tuesday-14-april

That's not how percentages work....

200% of 175 is 350.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

200% of 175 is 350.

your 175 figure is wrong, meath has 405 cases

and we are discussing RATES here, not absolute figures.

Dublins rate of 0.47 is 125% higher than meaths rate of 0.208

dublin has 6337 cases for a population of 1,347,359 = rate of 0.47

meath has 405 cases for a population of 195,044 = rate of 0.208

so 125% higher.
    and less than 100% higher of each of the other surrounding counties.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

200% of 175 is 350.
    350 is 100% higher than 175 though

your 175 figure is wrong, meath has 405 cases

and we are discussing RATES here, not absolute figures.

Dublins rate of 0.47 is 125% higher than meaths rate of 0.208

dublin has 6337 cases for a population of 1,347,359 = rate of 0.47

meath has 405 cases for a population of 195,044 = rate of 0.208

so 125% higher.
    and less than 100% higher of each of the other surrounding counties.
    I'm using the figures I am getting from the HSE epidemiology e-mails.

Meath had an 175 infections/100,000 infections as of midnight on the 12/04/20.

The use of percentages clouds this whole argument hence why I am talking in rates rather than percentages as it is more clear.

Anyway, the point been that infections in Dublin are 4 times greater than infections in the west of Ireland (per 100,000 population).

If you can't see that Dublin is the absolute epicentre of COVID-19, you are been ignorant of the truth.

This isn't an anti- Dublin thing. Just stating that infections are a lot higher in Dublin than the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

it has far higher infection "numbers" ..... not necessarily infection "rate" ... theres a big difference.

you only have to look 7 posts up to see the rate is NOT significantly higher... even without any of the mitigation factors that Dev is arguing.

Syd, this is a genuine question and perhaps displays my ignorance but however. Can you (or anyone else) explain the definition of significant to me in this context?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I'm using the figures I am getting from the HSE epidemiology e-mails.

Meath had an 175 infections/100,000 infections as of midnight on the 12/04/20.

The use of percentages clouds this whole argument hence why I am talking in rates rather than percentages as it is more clear.

Anyway, the point been that infections in Dublin are 4 times greater than infections in the west of Ireland (per 100,000 population).

If you can't see that Dublin is the absolute epicentre of COVID-19, you are been ignorant of the truth.

This isn't an anti- Dublin thing. Just stating that infections are a lot higher in Dublin than the rest of the country.

I really don’t see why people see it an anti Dublin thing - it’s just more factual really....Seems to have really wound people up....There are certain areas in Ireland that have zero cases - government might look at opening up a school there for a day...However probably not the best decision to open one up in highly populated areas of Dublin...

There are advantages and disadvantages of living in various areas - it just happens living in Dublin is maybe not the best in terms of virus. Sheesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Funny thread :pac: are the dubs getting worried they might be on lockdown longer than the rest of us? It might make sense. Many other countries have eased restrictions in different areas at different times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Cavan most affected county now. Might need to update the thread title

attachment.php?attachmentid=510970&d=1587911066

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Should we close all roads in and out of Cavan now? Put up signs that says "Cavaners, f*ck off?" :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are roads in Cavan? :eek: :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

DeVore wrote: »
    Should we close all roads in and out of Cavan now? Put up signs that says "Cavaners, f*ck off?" :)

Yes, Yes we should , but not because of Corona

:D

Again everyone quoting cases instead of deaths. Cases are a worthless stat, depends on the testing being exactly the same everywhere in Ireland, which is not the case.

In the cities there will be far more access to test centres than in the sticks.

Also contact tracing much easier in a rural community than Dublin.

Death rates and ICU admissions based off the home address of the patients are the only useful stat. I don't know if they use that address, or the hospital address. Many rural residents go to a regional hospital in another county, so this could massively skew the stats if they are using the hospital or test centre address.

EDIT: Westmeath seems to be a hotbed of cases - would this be anything to do with the regional hospital in Mullingar and people from surrounding counties going there I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How many of the national deaths occurred in county Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

As others have mentioned, Dublin have 51% of all covid-19 cases while only being 28% of the population.

Some of this may be explained by a higher percentage of Dubliners getting tested but as far as I know there's no data for number of tests per county.

So until then we have to conclude that just by living in Dublin you're far more likely to be infected, common sense really for a more densely populated area, and all other counties should now be allowed go on weekend getaways.

This trend is seen across the world

Stockholm is only 15% of Sweden's population but nearly 40% of cases in Sweden

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

MadYaker wrote: »
    Funny thread :pac: are the dubs getting worried they might be on lockdown longer than the rest of us? It might make sense. Many other countries have eased restrictions in different areas at different times.

Given how the lockdown is already fraying at the edges, it would be wholly unworkable to keep the entire country on lockdown for several more weeks if the outbreak has been suppressed in many/most counties by next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Months on, Dublin continues to be - by far - the most infected county

And months on I still find the reasoning behind the OP to be completely baffling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Months on, Dublin continues to be - by far - the most infected county

And months on I still find the reasoning behind the OP to be completely baffling

it was because the dubs were falling over themselves calling cork the epidemic centre at the start, joking about walling it off etc. then they got really salty when the whole thing inevitably flipped just a few weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

froog wrote: »
    it was because the dubs were falling over themselves calling cork the epidemic centre at the start, joking about walling it off etc. then they got really salty when the whole thing inevitably flipped just a few weeks later.

No, Dublin was "leading" at the time this thread was created

Advertisement