Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house build

Options
  • 08-04-2020 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. I’m a sparks. Friend of mine is close to buying a house that will be gutted and totally rewired. He’ll be using the builders sparks but asked me for advise. I’m in facilities management now and haven’t been in the house wiring game for quite some time. I’m wondering what lads in the game still think I’d should advise him on. Here’s the points I’ve given already.

Twin socket in each cornor of the house
    Usb twin sockets in various locations as required
    Cat 6e to each tv location back to attic. (Spare cat 6 from front room to attic to run a tp port to bring them “live”
    Cat 6e for cctv to soffits on house where required to central attic.
    Single alarm cable to all windows and doors. Keypad location, sounder, and 2 pir locations on each level to attic.
    Power to shed 6sq to run a small db allow for additional things in the future.
    As for lighting, single center pendant lighting or reseeded spots seem to be a bit dated. Any thing lads here would recommend? I suggested electric underfloor hearing in the bathroom also. I’m sure I’ve missed loads tho
    It will be 2 story also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A couple of external sockets that can be switched off from inside house

Slava Ukrainii

Is it a bungalow ?
    If there is wall mounted TVs a pipe (or 2) from the TV spot up to the attic is always handy.
    and a route back to the AV equipment.
    And wiring for speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

]

Not sure if I would bother with cat 5 cabling. With optic fibre now wireless boosters are very effective.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭JL spark

Hard wire ALL your data cables ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

JL spark wrote: »
    Hard wire ALL your data cables ,

That’s that plan with the cat 6E to all tv locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

A min. of 3 co-ax cables to the main TV point - 2 required for SkyQ wideband LNB feed and 1 for Saorview aerial feed if required now or in future.

A min. of 2 co-ax feeds to other TV points.

All cabling back to a central location with powerpoint nearby.

CT100 satellite-grade co-ax cable recommended - https://www.cai.org.uk/index.php/contact/downloads/product-certification-schemes/cable-certification/110-cai-certified-cables

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Cat6e cables to any places where a phone might be connected, or near where a laptop or desktop computer might be used, there's still a big difference between WiFi and cabled speeds to most devices. Phone can be connected over Cat6, but you can't run gigabit speeds over a 4 wire phone cable.

A home entertainment centre can need a lot of connections. Smart TV has Saorview and Satellite and Cat6e, then there's SKY box, 2 x satellite and Cat6e, Soundbar needs Cat6e, as does Blue Ray, and putting a network switch on top of the unit can look messy, most of these devices don't have WiFi. If you also have something like a free to air box as well as sky, that increases the numbers, between Coax and network cables, there are 11 cables coming down behind the wall unit here, and that doesn't include any HDMI cables.

The rear speakers and sub woofer are wireless via Bluetooth

I have a multi switch up in the roof void that means Saorview and Satellite can be multiplexed from the box in the roof void on one cable to a wall plate splitter, so a single coax and Cat6e to every TV point covers most requirements other than Sky Q main box. Sky Q is more reliable if run over cable rather than WiFi, espcially in high density urban areas with lots of WiFi contention.

Might be worth considering the future implications of Electric vehicle charging, heavier duty wiring for the supply, and location of charging point, and what might be needed for load shedding/switching in terms of multiple electric showers and EV loads.

Duct from Distribution board to roof void for future proofing for solar power connections?

at least one Twin socket in attic area to provide power for things like Multi switch and network hub/router

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement