Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clematis? What to do

Options
  • 08-04-2020 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Have what I think is a Clematis growing in back garden * I think it’s a Clematis! ..looks a total mess. Appear very woody in places but clearly alive and doing well in parts!

https://ibb.co/4sQnM05

What should the plan be? Heavily trim? Lightly trim? What to trim? And how to maintain into the future?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You could probably just pick the top edge of the fourth or maybe fifth block and cut everything back, stagger the main shoots so it's not "level" and then remove a selection of the growths entirely back to the main truck so there's more air and light. Obviously trim each just above a bud.

It fairly infested with brambles as well isn't it? Obviously remove with a snip and try to pick axe the roots out.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

No brambles, it’s actually a big rose bush mixed in with it! Very high but not wide and no shoots near the bottom... only seeing the mess it all is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah, yes I've opened up the image properly now

direct link for anyone else https://i.ibb.co/0BwRZzd/1-DDE61-D9-9845-4-FC2-A56-F-3-ACDA4-CC0-F50.jpg

I'd certainly remove that thing on the left - it's a split V shape thing, is that also a rose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

If it was mine, I would let it grow, trim it in winter or early spring before new shoots bloom, cut off at the top of the wall and trim away/remove any ivy that it will be forced to compete with for the wall space.

The ivy will effectively choke it and has the potential to destroy the wall too. (I’m not a fan of ivy, so am biased)

In early spring you may be able to guide new shoots/cut back to control the direction of growth, we have our back wall covered with clemantis, we trim it and also trim away the neighbours ivy once it come over the wall or through the wall to our side.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

The rose is v-shaped to the left of the main clematis trunk. The v on the right is an ash tree which has plenty of clematis growing up it!

I’ll try get a few up close photos but a total mess..new house so just out exploring in the good weather!

Maybe the bigger question is what to do with the rose!! Plenty of life on it but overgrown

Sorry couldn’t embed the original photo on the phone

• Advertisement
Advertisement