Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy I sold phone to saying its faulty a month later.

Options
  • 08-04-2020 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hey guys. So I sold a guy a phone on Adverts just over a month ago. It was a Samsung Note 10 plus. Bought directly from Samsung sim free and I provided the buyer with the receipt. It was €800 which included a few cases and other bits. I had the phone itself for a month beforehand and it was absolutely perfect, only sold it because it was far too big. Anyway I've got 2 emails from the buyer complaining that there's something wrong with the spen and the phone is lagging. The phone was perfect when I had had it. He's saying he's going to contact PayPal tomorrow to lodge a complaint. I've sold many phones on Adverts and have nearly 100 positives and no negatives with no issues. Is he just trying to pull a fast one on me? Cheers in advance guys.

Comments

Hey guys. So I sold a guy a phone on Adverts just over a month ago. It was a Samsung Note 10 plus. Bought directly from Samsung sim free and I provided the buyer with the receipt. It was €800 which included a few cases and other bits. I had the phone itself for a month beforehand and it was absolutely perfect, only sold it because it was far too big. Anyway I've got 2 emails from the buyer complaining that there's something wrong with the spen and the phone is lagging. The phone was perfect when I had had it. He's saying he's going to contact PayPal tomorrow to lodge a complaint. I've sold many phones on Adverts and have nearly 100 positives and no negatives with no issues. Is he just trying to pull a fast one on me? Cheers in advance guys.

But sure lagging could be a million apps on the go draining it. Hardly a returnable fault.

If it's warranty I guess you could get it replaced but I would look long and hard and see has he messed around with it

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Did he pay you friends and family or goods and services?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Tell him it was in perfect working order when you sold it to him and for the last month he has had it.Then send him a link to Samsung warrant repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

He has no come back....

You sold as seen and no known faults(I hope).

Like buying a second hand car if it's a dealer, yes you would be covered but in a private sale no....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He has no come back....

Like buying a second hand car if it's a dealer, yes you would be covered but in a private sale no....

Big difference if the buyer paid with PayPal, they'll refund ahead of our consumer laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Did he pay you friends and family or goods and services?

This is the pertinent question here. PayPal are notoriously buyer sided - even though the OP is in the right here . This subtle difference could be key to whether the OP ends up out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

theteal wrote: »
    This is the pertinent question here. PayPal are notoriously buyer sided - even though the OP is in the right here . This subtle difference could be key to whether the OP ends up out of pocket.
    If buyer paid via F&F, PayPal won't hear about it.

There's a reason you pay fees by not doing F&F, it's to account for claims like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Never use PayPal for anything like this. I have been left out of pocket for stuff like this before. I only use revolut or bank transfer now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Sounds more like a software issue. If it were a hardware problem the phone would quite likely be crashing, not lagging.

Suggest he does a full factory reset of the phone and figures out what app is causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He has no come back....

Someone who sells many phones on adverts might be considered a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Sold as seen.tell him to rev up and fcuk off

theteal wrote: »

Absolutely. If it’s goods and services he paid I think he has 30 or 60 days (can’t remember but you can check on website) to claim back the money he paid you. PayPal usually sides with the buyer unless you can prove otherwise. If he paid friends and family PayPal will not get involved usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Tell him had it happened within a day or two you would have been willing to help but not after he's had a months use from it. Then tell him you do not want to hear from him again and if he/she continues to pester you about it then you will report him to Gardaí for harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I have a lot of sympathy for the buyer. they are out of pocket here - OP is sitting pretty (as is). However buying used goods - the usual situation is caveat emptor.

The seller may find paypal takes the buyers side because this is like a consumer transaction here & OP does say they have sold many phones and has about 100 positives. I havent sold 5 phones in my life, and certaibly to reach 100 .... If OP is a business then the situation changes. And they probably are a defacto business.

To preempt thiss OP can offer to get a report on the phone and see what issues are found. OP could do a samsung warranty call and samsung would replace phone phone if it is hardware issue. If its not hardware OP could use that report to refute buyer claim.

It might be the decent thing to do is also the best course of action here.

I have a lot of sympathy for the buyer. they are out of pocket here - OP is sitting pretty (as is). However buying used goods - the usual situation is caveat emptor.

The seller may find paypal takes the buyers side because this is like a consumer transaction here & OP does say they have sold many phones and has about 100 positives. I havent sold 5 phones in my life, and certaibly to reach 100 .... If OP is a business then the situation changes. And they probably are a defacto business.

To preempt thiss OP can offer to get a report on the phone and see what issues are found. OP could do a samsung warranty call and samsung would replace phone phone if it is hardware issue. If its not hardware OP could use that report to refute buyer claim.

Sold as seen
    The buyer might have damaged it in the month they had it.maybe they downloaded a virus or even dropped it.
    I’d be saying it was fine when it was sold so too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I'm not a business. Phones are just a hobby of mine. And that 100 positives goes back to 2010 when I joined the site. I usually get a phone, use it for a few months then sell it or swap it. How do I know that the guy didn't mess with the phone after I sold it. A month is a good bit of time.

Also the guy sent me an email last week complaining about the phone, specifically the S-Pen. Saying it wasn't genuine. It was and I showed the receipt to prove it. He was very aggressive in the email saying he'd open a complaint with PayPal. After I replied to him he sent me a reply back apologising for his shortness and that the phone is lovely and perfect, he just didn't use it right. Now I get the same email yesterday pretty much saying he's going to PayPal..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'm not a business. P How do I know that the guy didn't mess with the phone after I sold it. A month is a good bit of time.

yep, all fair points.

if the buyer opens a paypal case i reckon they would be more likely than not to win. that way you are out both money and phone.

If you say to im you ill return to samsung for warranty repair, if it is a hardware problem, and he says yes - its no skin off your nose to see what samsung say. And if its faulty samsung will repair. if its faulty due to user damage you will have a statement form samsung to say so,

If he refuses you can use that in your case with paypal.

Just saying you could end up out of pocket if paypal side with him, and you do have another course of action open to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I would call PayPal and ask for advise, they are based in Blanchardstown, that way if he does open a case against you it will be recorded that you are trying to resolve the problem.
    I would also contact whoever you bought from as it may be possible to have replaced or have it checked as it may just need to be tweaked.
    I suggest you make an effort to resolve as there is a bit of money here, anytime i ever had to PayPal with minor issue i got full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

you shouldn't use paypal as a seller, unless it's small amounts. Only as a buyer.

• Advertisement

Also the guy sent me an email last week complaining about the phone, specifically the S-Pen. Saying it wasn't genuine. It was and I showed the receipt to prove it. He was very aggressive in the email saying he'd open a complaint with PayPal. After I replied to him he sent me a reply back apologising for his shortness and that the phone is lovely and perfect, he just didn't use it right. Now I get the same email yesterday pretty much saying he's going to PayPal..

Did he pay you F&f or goods and services? It all comes down to that really?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Did he pay you F&f or goods and services? It all comes down to that really?

I'm not so sure. If the op was deemed to be a Business paying friends and family wouldn't remove the customers consumer rights. . It could make things worse if shown that the op was using f and f to bypass the law.

I don't think the op is a businees but revenue etc might think otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Surely the phone still has manufacturers warranty on it if you only had it a month. Tell him to contact Samsung if the phone is faulty.

Sounds like you’re dealing with a weirdo jacksie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Samsung warranty still ok,or is it a 12 month one,and is it even transferrable? I'd tell him politely to contact Samsung as it's his phone now,and advice him to do a factory reset

OmegaGene wrote: »
    if he opens a paypal case he will win and have to send the phone back and you have a few days to check it and refund him
    paypal also changed the rules regarding seller fees and refunds, you will lose the sellers fees (paypal comission)

paypal offers a buyer 180 days protection and also cover the return postage for the buyer

i have found in the past that being polite in messages and at the last resort offer a partial refund works

Pretty sure this is only if the buyer pays by goods and services. If the buyer pays by friends and family PayPal wash their hands of it (most of the time)... unless the buyer can convince them they paid F&f by mistake....

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Tell him your a black belt and Conor mcgregor's cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Any update on this?

Any update on this?

Haven't heard a thing back. Hopefully he got the hint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement