Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OnePlus 8/Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Trying to decide between the Oneplus 8T vs 8 Pro or stretch to the 9?

Can get the 8T for £452/~€533 on amazon 8 Pro for €639 or 9 for €709 direct from Oneplus

8T + cheapest, launched on Android 11 so will get up to 14, Warp charge 65 (This seems to be a big plus as the charger also supports USB PD up to 45w so very handy for traveling)
    - Worst camera,

8 Pro + Best camera's, water proof, very well reviewed, wireless charging
    - Don't like the curved screen, 1 year old, warp 30 charging, launched on android 10 so will only get to 13

9 does seem the to improve in every way on the 8T bar the lack of OIS on the camera. This does seem to be a big drawback for me. It is €180 more than the 8T will still only get upgrades to android 14 though it will get 6 months more support.

Have a Oneplus 5 very happy with nearly 4 years old now performance is still good bar battery has dropped of a bit and charging port has got temperamental. Give's minor glitch the odd time but I'd say if I cleared storage and reset it would be fine.

Only other phones really tempting me are the Pixel 4a 5g and 5 for their camera's and stock android but really only at their sale prices last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

If you can wait I'm sure the 8T and 8 Pro will drop even more, if it was me I'd probably go 8 Pro, 8T, 9 in that order

xtal191 wrote: »
    If you can wait I'm sure the 8T and 8 Pro will drop even more, if it was me I'd probably go 8 Pro, 8T, 9 in that order

Still can't make up my mind! Know the 8pro is the best phone, IP rating as I cycle is a big plus. Better Camera which is the other main plus. I'm not sure I can hack the curved screen though. My mum has had a couple of Samsung's over the years and I've disliked it any time I have to set up or fix something on it for her. A lot of that is their UI though I'm sure I'd just get used to the curved edge.

8T launched on a version newer of android, I tend keep my phones as long as they work so this is a big plus. Flat screen and Dash 65 are others. It's still pretty waterproof even if not certified. Camera should still be decent enough for me I have a DSLR for when it matters.

8T is the cheapest though by €100 at the price of the 8Pro I think I'd go for the 9 as it's a year newer and not that far behind in most ways bar lack of OIS.

Think I may make up my mind soon my Oneplus 5 battery is definitely taking a turn for the worse. I can still make it through the day but I need to be sure I'm fully charged before leaving in the morning and it will need a top up that evening. If the usb port was ok it wouldn't be much of an issue but I can't rely on it charging in the car anymore as it get's knocked off charge too easily.

Tempted to just to get the Pixel 4a from vodafone for €280 and put off picking another high end phone for a year or two. It's still a good upgrade on my OP 5 and camera and stock android are the big advantage over the oneplus's I just wish it had better charging speeds.

I went from the 1 to the 3T to the 6 and now on the 7T and to be honest it'll probably be the last Oneplus I buy, I'm finished spending €500+ on phones now, there's plenty of phones out there for €400 and below that would do me just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

I went from the 1 to the 3T to the 6 and now on the 7T and to be honest it'll probably be the last Oneplus I buy, I'm finished spending €500+ on phones now, there's plenty of phones out there for €400 and below that would do me just fine.

I got the One Plus 8 for £349 on Amazon. I cant justify paying €700+ for the newer models.

• Advertisement

Yea midrange phones have got so good theres' not much reason to. Some are still a compromise though. If you want a decent camera you'll have to make do without a 800 series snapdragon or and amoled screen. Picking last years models does make it easier to get this in budget. But you lose a year's support for andoid updates. If you change every two years or so it's ok but if you keep phones longterm it may be still be worth investing in this years flagships.
    talkabout wrote: »
    I got the One Plus 8 for £349 on Amazon. I cant justify paying €700+ for the newer models.

Yea sort of sorry I missed out on that. Just not sure about curved screens. Sister in law did get it after I suggested it to her and she seems happy with it. The 8T at £449 is still a pretty good deal. Need to decide soon I have an order and payment on hold with amazon but they'll cancel tomorrow if I don't top up my revolut.

So final thoughts cheap option of Pixel 4a @ €280 , 8T €530, 8pro €640, 9 €710? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

If you don’t go with the Pixel, you’ll probably have buyers remorse which ever you go for. How much better will they be than the Pixel? Camera probably best on the Pixel also......

bidiots wrote: »
    If you don’t go with the Pixel, you’ll probably have buyers remorse which ever you go for. How much better will they be than the Pixel? Camera probably best on the Pixel also......

The camera and stock android are the big draws for the Pixel. The Oneplus phones are better hardware wise pretty much in every way bar the camera and even then some of that is just software related. Gcam is ahead of most company's camera software.

Drawbacks software wise on Oneplus Oxygen OS isn't as lightly skinned as used to be and OP aren't as quick with updates for older phones since they started launching so many more models. Seems to be a good few glitches with the 9 at the minute but they do seem to be sorting them.

I do have remorse over not buying the Pixel 4a 5g last week when it was €399 The 765 snapdragon closes the gap a bit to the Oneplus's. At €499 now though I think I'd pay the extra €130 to get the Pixel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

Ryath wrote: »
    The camera and stock android are the big draws for the Pixel. The Oneplus phones are better hardware wise pretty much in every way bar the camera and even then some of that is just software related. Gcam is ahead of most company's camera software.

Drawbacks software wise on Oneplus Oxygen OS isn't as lightly skinned as used to be and OP aren't as quick with updates for older phones since they started launching so many more models. Seems to be a good few glitches with the 9 at the minute but they do seem to be sorting them.

I do have remorse over not buying the Pixel 4a 5g last week when it was €399 The 765 snapdragon closes the gap a bit to the Oneplus's. At €499 now though I think I'd pay the extra €130 to get the Pixel 5.

Am in a similar dilemma, where did you end up in the end?

Camera is probably the most important item for me on a phone, however I only change phones every few years so the OP9 is more tempting over the Pixel 5 due to much better specs.

The OP9 camera reviews are middling, however it should still be a good improvement on my current OP6?

Can trade in my old phone against a newer OP too so the price difference is negligible.

If camera is priority then go with the phone with the better camera, surely? Unless your a heavy mobile gamer, spec's are moot in my opinion, the phone will run just as good in 3 years as it is now.
    The battery is the main issue here tbh, OnePlus will always win out in that regard.

• Advertisement

Baxtardo wrote: »
    Am in a similar dilemma, where did you end up in the end?

Camera is probably the most important item for me on a phone, however I only change phones every few years so the OP9 is more tempting over the Pixel 5 due to much better specs.

The OP9 camera reviews are middling, however it should still be a good improvement on my current OP6?

Can trade in my old phone against a newer OP too so the price difference is negligible.

I ended up getting the Pixel 4a for €179. Couldn't make up my mind over spending that much on the others. Camera is way better than my Oneplus 5. The screen is a little better, battery life is ok. Do like the stock android and it feels snappy. It does run much hotter though when using more demanding apps. Not alarmingly so but my Oneplus 5 barely got warm running the same apps. It's not a huge upgrade though bar the camera. If the my Oneplus 5 could get Android 11 and I fixed the charging port I'd have been fine with it for another year.

Annoyingly just after I got it the Pixel 4a 5g dropped back to €399 and the 8T to £399 which probably would have swayed me. I could sell the 4a easily for what I payed but overall I am happy with it. The camera is the main thing for me and it runs anything I use on it. Bigger screen would be good but on the other hand I do like the pocket-blity of it. Would like better a better battery life and faster charging and if I ever used a phone with a 90hz or 120hz screen I'm sure I would miss that.

I'll stick with the 4a for a bit anyways and see if there's any launch offers on the Pixel 5a or 6, in all likely hood though I'll use the 4a till it stop getting updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

If camera is priority then go with the phone with the better camera, surely? Unless your a heavy mobile gamer, spec's are moot in my opinion, the phone will run just as good in 3 years as it is now.
    The battery is the main issue here tbh, OnePlus will always win out in that regard.

True, I do not use the phone for gaming or anything like it. The battery is a good point - it's the main reason I am looking to replace my OP6 battery has just fallen off a cliff.

I'm still not sold on the Pixel 5 at current pricepoint though, it's expensive for the screen size / specs and the OP9 looks better value to me. I like a clean OS so I've never gone for a Samsung even though cameras are a strong point. Will keep flip flopping for the next while and see where I finish up!

Cheers

Baxtardo wrote: »
    True, I do not use the phone for gaming or anything like it. The battery is a good point - it's the main reason I am looking to replace my OP6 battery has just fallen off a cliff.

I'm still not sold on the Pixel 5 at current pricepoint though, it's expensive for the screen size / specs and the OP9 looks better value to me. I like a clean OS so I've never gone for a Samsung even though cameras are a strong point. Will keep flip flopping for the next while and see where I finish up!

Cheers
    I went with the 4A in the end, at 180, it was an easy choice.
    I've had the 5. Do I notice performance differences? Not from my usage anyhow. The fact it cost me 290 less than the 5 makes it even better.
    The size is what wins it for me, then camera quality. The battery on the 5 was better but with fast charging, it's not a biggie.
    To me, single sim is the only downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not a bad offer on the pro at the moment. Have a One Plus 6 since it came out and thinking about upgrading, bar a little issue with the proximity sensor and the battery going down a little quicker its still a cracking phone. Wouldn't mind the upgraded camera though. Mine is decent but going by specs I should see a large jump up in quality. Mainly used for family photos of holidays etc..

People still happy with their One Plus 8 Pros?

Current Offer is:
    One Plus 8 Pro 12GB RAM & 256GB storage, free case and free wireless warp charger €749.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Oxegen update rolling out OTA to 8Ts today - 345Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jofspring wrote: »
    Current Offer is:
    One Plus 8 Pro 12GB RAM & 256GB storage, free case and free wireless warp charger €749.

I think you can do better - unless you really want the wireless charger. I have that Op8 Pro, with the extra ram and storage. I think I spent 915 on it from Amazon.es in July last year.

You're still doing 165e better than me - and with a wireless charger to boot - so I think it's a fine price. I just think you can probably do a little better.

The phone itself. Very good, I continue to be very happy with it. Although it hasn't been tested that much. For example, a year in I don't really know if the battery life is any good because I haven't been away for a charger for any length of time!!

I posted here before, but I also managed to dop this phone of the Cuchculain Rollercoaster in Tayto Park. It was in the free case that comes in the default box. Staff there were very very confident it was ****ed - they said they'd never seen a phone survive that before.

Anyway, not a scratch. It probably landed in some long grass and got lucky. But I've decided the phone is blessed.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think you can do better - unless you really want the wireless charger. I have that Op8 Pro, with the extra ram and storage. I think I spent 915 on it from Amazon.es in July last year.

You're still doing 165e better than me - and with a wireless charger to boot - so I think it's a fine price. I just think you can probably do a little better.

The phone itself. Very good, I continue to be very happy with it. Although it hasn't been tested that much. For example, a year in I don't really know if the battery life is any good because I haven't been away for a charger for any length of time!!

I posted here before, but I also managed to dop this phone of the Cuchculain Rollercoaster in Tayto Park. It was in the free case that comes in the default box. Staff there were very very confident it was ****ed - they said they'd never seen a phone survive that before.

Anyway, not a scratch. It probably landed in some long grass and got lucky. But I've decided the phone is blessed.

Cheers. Decided to go for it, I would probably have bought a wireless charger and an extra case anyway so feels like a nice bonus. As I say my op6 is still working pretty well. Definitely in the best condition a phone has ever been after 3 years. Had three iPhones before the OP6 and a few months into year three of ownership they became useless so happy to go with OnePlus again.

With two young kids it's good to hear it can handle a bit of a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I went with the 4A in the end, at 180, it was an easy choice.
    I've had the 5. Do I notice performance differences? Not from my usage anyhow. The fact it cost me 290 less than the 5 makes it even better.
    The size is what wins it for me, then camera quality. The battery on the 5 was better but with fast charging, it's not a biggie.
    To me, single sim is the only downside.

Not wanting to hijack the thread too much, but where did you get 4a for 180?

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Not wanting to hijack the thread too much, but where did you get 4a for 180?

There is a thread in Bargain Alerts. It's through Vodafone but the phone is unlocked. It seemed to be very hit and miss. My brother managed to pick one up for 179.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Switched over to Eir today (from 48) and running a OnePlus 8T and signed up to a new €19.99 plan with unlimited 5G but I've been able to receive any 5G coverage (even though I'm in well covered areas)

I've looked into the APN settings etc and it looks to be some Meteor settings could that be anything to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

For anybody running an 8. I was having some issues over the last couple of months. It would become unresponsive and then I'd get a message saying some system apps were slow and did I want to close them. I didn't want to format and reinstall. I've a million apps on my phone.

I was googling around and some posters on Reddit said if you disable the three finger screenshot gesture this goes away. I tried it. And it did. Phone has been reliable since. Sounds like something that could be fixed easily in a patch.

I miss the screenshot gesture but pressing power and volume down works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

OP 8 Pro being delivered next week - any recommendations on a screen protector? Afraid to go for glass due to the curved screen. A basic plastic one and decent cover instead? Once the FP Sensor works...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

rizzee wrote: »
    OP 8 Pro being delivered next week - any recommendations on a screen protector? Afraid to go for glass due to the curved screen. A basic plastic one and decent cover instead? Once the FP Sensor works...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087M6HBRV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Great product.

dunleas wrote: »

I ordered that exact product after i posted above - it’s being delivered today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Deal: OnePlus 8 Pro 5G 12GB RAM 256GB SIM-Free Smartphone with Triple Camera, Dual SIM and Alexa built-in Glacial Green - 2 Years Warranty https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XYK31SQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_E5E3VPA97Q9DXT7VNXWN

Decent price: 499 GBP

That's very good. I was lucky to get around that for mine 2 weeks ago. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Oxygen Updater: OnePlus announced last OOS11 Open Betas for 8-series & 8T

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Looks to be a good deal currently on the 8T. Would people agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

• Advertisement

Amazon.nl don't deliver to Ireland

Advertisement