Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with picking a good drill for home

• 08-04-2020 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hello.

As the title suggests , I want to buy a drill online fir putting up shelves etc around the house

Have you any suggestions please. Budget around 100 euro ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is this for drilling holes in walls ?.and are the walls brick or concrete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Yes for drilling holes in walls. I'd imagine brick and concrete . Thanks

• Advertisement

You don't need an sds for putting up shelves OP.

I have two SDS drills. You don't need one.

You need a nice all rounder. That has a decent hammer action.. can drill brick and concrete well. Can be used for drilling timber or metal and can also use as a screw driver.

I have the previous model of this about 7 years and it's an excellent home drill all rounder. I still use it today for quick wall jobs and always for timber.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Combi-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B00L3XK06C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

2 of the above don't ship here

Should get a discount off a gift card but youd want prime membership atm with slow deliveries

listermint wrote: »

You need a nice all rounder. That has a decent hammer action.. can drill brick and concrete well. Can be used for drilling timber or metal and can also use as a screw driver.

I have the previous model of this about 7 years and it's an excellent home drill all rounder. I still use it today for quick wall jobs and always for timber.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Combi-Lithium-Ion-Batteries/dp/B00L3XK06C

Don't listen to this , you want an sds

Lwaker. wrote: »
    Don't listen to this , you want an sds

Do not listen to this you have no need for an sds. This is another Spoofer trying to give advice on a drill that had 1 use. You'll use it once a year if ever.

SDS has one purpose and that's drilling concrete. You do not need this. I'm not even sure why anyone with any experience of labour work would even advise this.

Quite weird.

Oh wait I see now they joined a week ago. Probably to spoof the covid threads. Makes sense now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065348 don't get hung up on 18V or SDS. You may occasionally need an SDS drill but nothing like as often as you'll use a straight electric drill, the impact driver is also handy on some jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

SDS is a pain you can't put driver bits in it you can't put has or timber bits in it. If you don't need to make lots of big or deep or both holes in concrete or masonry then it's no good. I have a DeWalt cordless ads and it's awesome and well worth its cost but a bosh hammer rechargable will be grand for home use and much more versatile

GinSoaked wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065348 don't get hung up on 18V or SDS. You may occasionally need an SDS drill but nothing like as often as you'll use a straight electric drill, the impact driver is also handy on some jobs.

That's a bottom rung drill with DeWalt labelling. The power on the drill isn't decent enough for drilling concrete with any confidence. I'm sure it drills timber no issues . Impact is a nice addition but not at the expense of drilling walls which is what the OP wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

They're a good little drill, will do 90 percent of jobs around the house for the occasional diyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ive DeWalt 18v combi cracking all rounder but I've a lidl sds corded drill and it chews concrete. Also have an Aldi impact driver but I'd spend what I can on a good 18v combi to be honest as you will use the most.

Do not listen to this you have no need for an sds. This is another Spoofer trying to give advice on a drill that had 1 use. You'll use it once a year if ever.

SDS has one purpose and that's drilling concrete. You do not need this. I'm not even sure why anyone with any experience of labour work would even advise this.

Quite weird.

Oh wait I see now they joined a week ago. Probably to spoof the covid threads. Makes sense now.

Waste of time

He needs 1 sds for the masonry and a 2nd battery driver for screwdriving, drywall or timber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Lwaker. wrote: »
    Waste of time

He needs 1 sds for the masonry and a 2nd battery driver for screwdriving, drywall or timber
    5.5mm for red plugs, don't need SDS for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

We don't really know what walls the OP wants to put his shelves on. In our old cottage an SDS drill is a must but in a modern house I doubt you'd need an SDS drill unless you were fixing something like a satellite dish to an outside wall.

The problem with most modern houses is finding something strong enough to fix shelves to. Just look at the number of posts on how to attach a TV to plasterboard wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think it's hard to recommend one drill that will do everything well, in my opinion you need the good all rounder that will do holes in timber and drive screws, drill plasterboard and maybe holes on light solid block. If you're going at concrete though you will probably want an SDS so you're not wasting time and making things more difficult than they need to be.

My all rounder was bought about 13 years ago and is still going strong so I can't recommend one to you, it's an orange Black and Decker but I think the brand has gone downhill since. But you want this to be 18 volt in my opinion, variable speed so you can drive screws and hammer action is nice. I've been buying Makita stuff lately and find it to be a nice brand, Screwfix do this but they're shut at the moment.

For heavier stuff get a mains powered drill with hammer action, SDS is preferable, you can get a an SDS chuck that will take a normal drill bit so you won't be limited. I got an SDS drill in B&Q for 80 quid recently, think it's MacCallister brand, big drill, side handle, has worked nicely on a few jobs for me hanging rads on solid walls etc. A smaller mains drill with hammer action I had wasn't up to the task. It's not going to last forever but is there when needed.

I picked up a battery powered hilti drill in work recently to drill one hole into concrete, was not impressed at all compared to my 80 quid sds b&q job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Battery drills that in that price range are really just power drivers.

Corded drills all the way for domestic use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

Depends what year your house was built op... as the concrete / plasterboard is different depending.

In saying that, I've been using the aforementioned DeValt 18v cordless thing for the last 10 years on a poured concrete walls and it does the job, hammer action is grand but you'd want to have the 2 batteries charged. Always start off on small bits and work your way up if you're expecting resistance.

A corded one would have been handy though, just plug and go.

It's important to have good drill bits too / or else just lots and lots of cheap ones:pac: I picked up a brilliant set of concrete/wood/metal ones in B&Q. There was 150 pieces in it. Nothing worse than having to drive back for one drillbit and paying a fiver odd each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Have had a JCB 20v for 4 years now, solid walls throughout house and never missed a beat for normal DIY use

Outside use and drilling through concrete SDS is a must

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've a heavy duty sds drill and it's rarely used. The 20v cordless does the job for DIY with decent masonry bits. Impact drill for driving screws but for a bit of DIY the drill will do the job. In fairness the ones I have are an expensive brand but I have the cheaper ones also.

Cheap and cheerful from Lidl and now the batteries will fit a range of their cordless tools.
    Drills went on sale there last week.
    For a bit of DIY they'll do the job and a 3 year warranty.
    Here's a review of their Parkside drill.

https://youtu.be/7VP7_nIra5o

ted1 wrote: »
    Battery drills that in that price range are really just power drivers.

Corded drills all the way for domestic use

You might have missed the part where I have this drill already. It eats up brick and concrete.

I also have two SDS drills and a Bosch Core Drill , bit of a drill fan

The advice I'm giving is based on the OPs response to my original question. Those advocating all sorts of drills are going way beyond a normal DIY requirement.

Once again I have that drill I linked it's excellent all rounder.

*I've 3sds drills actually just remembered. 2 corded and a Cordless

Lads,if it's just for sticking up a few shelves around the house and likely to be sat in a shed or garage unused for months on end there's no need for the op to go mad and buy expensive gear or corded SDS drills.
    A cordless drill with hammer action will work perfectly on an Irish built wall, not many homes built with reinforced concrete.

Lads,if it's just for sticking up a few shelves around the house and likely to be sat in a shed or garage unused for months on end there's no need for the op to go mad and buy expensive gear or corded SDS drills.
    A cordless drill with hammer action will work perfectly on an Irish built wall, not many homes built with reinforced concrete.

except those bastard apartment ones, they're a complete arse.

except those bastard apartment ones, they're a complete arse.

The precast boxes.
    Part of the problem with diy'ers is using sh1te drill bits and then blaming the drill. I've seen cheap bits turn into pigs tails in bog standard block walls.
    Plus,take your time drilling, it's not a race. Let the drill do the work.

The precast boxes.
    Part of the problem with diy'ers is using sh1te drill bits and then blaming the drill. I've seen cheap bits turn into pigs tails in bog standard block walls.
    Plus,take your time drilling, it's not a race. Let the drill do the work.

Cant beat a decent set of drillbits. Just picked up some Makita HSS recently. They are a dream to work with and a bit of oil to lubricate (steel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you can stretch the budget buy a dewalt 18v combi with 2 batteries. Brushless if possible.

rob316 wrote: »
    If you can stretch the budget buy a dewalt 18v combi with 2 batteries. Brushless if possible.

Screwfix had a great deal on them,pity they aren't doing delivery now. They are missing a trick there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Steviesol wrote: »
    Hello.

As the title suggests , I want to buy a drill online fir putting up shelves etc around the house

Have you any suggestions please. Budget around 100 euro ?

Thanks

If that's the extent of your plans then the cordless drills suggested by listermint and Cantona's Collars will suffice.

However, if you foresee yourself putting up a lot of heavy shelves or curtain rails, drilling holes in walls for pipes or cables, hanging gates or flower pots then the sooner you invest in a corded SDS drill the better. They go through concrete like a hot knife through butter and generally SDS drill bits are incredibly hard and last for ages. What's more, the bigger SDS drills come with chisel attachments, so that they can be used as a kango hammer, great for making vent holes or chasing a wall. I got an SDS in Lidl(~€60) about 10 years ago and have used it very regularly ever since.

Advertisement