Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High End 4k Gaming PC with full VR Capability

Options
  • 08-04-2020 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had some great success building in the past with advice from here. I'm a little out of the loop on the latest and greatest so back again for more advice on a completely new high end build.

I should note also, I'm based in the US these days so may be able to get more bang for buck but let's see.

New budget PC for gaming - 4 grand
    1. What is your budget?

Setting this at 4 grand which is my upper limit overall but there is some wiggle room.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Internet/Work] Gaming with the latest games on ultra 4K settings, video editing and some graphic design stuff. Ideally looking for something as future proof as can be for the next 2-3 years.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No, I've decided to leave my old rig in Ireland for when I go back occasionally so this will all be new apart from my existing keyboard/mouse and headset.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? - [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] ANY

9. When are you purchasing? The next 2-3 weeks.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I will build myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what is your current monitor as you mention 4K?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I have the Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" at the moment and will add a second one with this rig most likely down the line.

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-PG27UQ-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07F1VGGLK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

With budget no option, a 9900K + 2080Ti is the only build in town. I mean the 2080Ti literally as 4K ultra settings 60fps isn't remotely achievable on any other card in the latest AAA games. A much cheaper CPU would suffice, particularly as 4K is obviously GPU limited, Ryzen 3700X is a really good all-rounder for any setup really.

However I really think at this point it'd be mad to build an ultra high-end machine when new Ryzen processors and Nvidia GPU's are due later this year. Building a 3700X based machine now would be fine as it's a very reasonably priced CPU, but a 2080Ti would be a huge waste of cash I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Homelander wrote: »
    With budget no option, a 9900K + 2080Ti is the only build in town. I mean the 2080Ti literally as 4K ultra settings 60fps isn't remotely achievable on any other card in the latest AAA games. A much cheaper CPU would suffice, particularly as 4K is obviously GPU limited, Ryzen 3700X is a really good all-rounder for any setup really.

However I really think at this point it'd be mad to build an ultra high-end machine when new Ryzen processors and Nvidia GPU's are due later this year. Building a 3700X based machine now would be fine as it's a very reasonably priced CPU, but a 2080Ti would be a huge waste of cash I think.

i would suggest that the launch cycles of new hardware will be severely delayed due to COVID-19. The 2080ti and the Ryzen 3rd gen will be top dogs for a good while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

i would suggest that the launch cycles of new hardware will be severely delayed due to COVID-19. The 2080ti and the Ryzen 3rd gen will be top dogs for a good while longer.

At most I'd expect them to slip from August -> October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    At most I'd expect them to slip from August -> October.

I will take 100 euro bet they dont ship to consumers till q1 or q2 2021. Supply chains are knocked totally out of whack, and the US is about to have a really bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Homelander wrote: »

Thanks a million. Yeah those popped up during my initial search. Considering I'm probably gonna be quarantined here until end of June, I'd nearly take the plunge now. Super easy to shift computer components here so can always upgrade once those new parts come out anyway.

Will take a look at the Ryzen processors and see, my current build at home is listed below for reference. I like that case so will get that again anyway.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Pro 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI - B350 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive - Black
    Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card
    Case: Corsair CC-9011063-WW 780T Graphite Series Windowed Full Tower ATX Gaming Case with LED Fan - Black/Red
    Power Supply: XFX - XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yes, the only meaningful upgrade then is a 2080Ti. The 1080Ti is still an excellent card and it has much more vram than the 2070 or 2080 cards.

Ryzen 1700 not a great gaming processor though, but again at 4K ultra your CPU won't really be an issue in games.

Advertisement