Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super speed sticks

Options
  • 08-04-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Anyone use these?
    If so what have results been?

Look really interesting and seriously thinking of buying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Go for them, one of the best ways to increase swing speed. Easy protocols to follow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Go for them, one of the best ways to increase swing speed. Easy protocols to follow too.

Ya looks very straight forward to increase speed.
    I bought them anyway should be here tomorrow.
    Looking forward to seeing increased distance with the driver hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Does technique not play a huge part in how fast you can swing a club - would be slightly dubious on these used in isolation without some coaching etc?

• Advertisement

Does technique not play a huge part in how fast you can swing a club - would be slightly dubious on these used in isolation without some coaching etc?

Seemingly not. Obviously good technique can only help but these sticks can improve speed of all swings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Pretty sure they do mention the importance of maintaining technique with the acquired speed.

I would say to get full benefit of the training you would need to have some sort of measuring device to track your improvements and gameify it a bit for yourself.

I wonder what the impact is on the shorter element of the game? Does a faster swing at wedge level of club translate to better results?

willabur wrote: »
    Pretty sure they do mention the importance of maintaining technique with the acquired speed.

I would say to get full benefit of the training you would need to have some sort of measuring device to track your improvements and gameify it a bit for yourself.

I wonder what the impact is on the shorter element of the game? Does a faster swing at wedge level of club translate to better results?

From speaking with trainers/golf pros I believe it will in the 6-12 week term increase swing speed which should hopefully increase distance across all my clubs.
    No benefit to shorter clubs really but extra distance off tee wouldn't go astray.
    I will update (my numbers) maybe weekly if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I have them, and had gotten through about 8 weeks of the protocols before the things shut down. Now stuck with apartment living, so don't have space to make a full swing, so they're put away for the moment.

@BigChap, the focus with them is not about technique really it's about, in essence, normalising the speed. So you are swinging way above your normal controlled swing and it is basically tricking your brain in to thinking that faster is the new norm.

You should, absolutely be working on your technique separately with a pro, but this is purely about speed, not technique.

First time I measured, which was about week 4, as I didnt have a monitor, I hit about 116. The highest speed I'd gotten up to with the lightest stick, when I'd finished up was, I think 122-123mph. Cant remember the exact calculation, but I think that equated to roughly a driver swing speed of somewhere in the high 90s.

I was in the low 90s when I was fit for my current driver originally, so was around about a 4-5 mph gain I think.

Was hard to gauge the benefit playing winter golf in bad conditions unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Is this something that's likely to cause injury? :confused:

• Advertisement

I don't get this one. Maybe I swing too hard already :rolleyes:

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Is this something that's likely to cause injury? :confused:

Have been warned to do a stretch/warm up before each session.

I don't get this one. Maybe I swing too hard already :rolleyes:

Don't know of anyone with too much swing speed to be honest?

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Have been warned to do a stretch/warm up before each session.

I was doing it at the same time as a strength and mobility plan. Used to match up my superspeed sessions with the mobility days, so that made sure I was well stretched out before doing the protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

How are these different to the orange whip, or the cheaper Vgeby golf swing trainer........?

ctlsleh wrote: »
    How are these different to the orange whip, or the cheaper Vgeby golf swing trainer........?

The speed sticks are a training aid to increase swing speed only. They are no benefit for ur technique.
    Many tour pros are using them most notably Phil Michelson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The speed sticks are a training aid to increase swing speed only. They are no benefit for ur technique.
    Phil (tee off and then decide what golf course you're playing) Mickelson? Not sure it's speed he needs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭kod12

Is the best place to get the on their own website?

what radar have people used before. The blue swing speed radar seems to be the most popular

kod12 wrote: »
    Is the best place to get the on their own website?

what radar have people used before. The blue swing speed radar seems to be the most popular

I think, generally, yes, though their site. There are a lot of other sites that offer discount codes for the sticks. Practical Golf definitely used to have one.

As far as I know, they do offer a deal to do a combo of the sticks + that blue radar on their own site, which could be better value.

There are other companies that do imitations of the sticks, likely cheaper, so it might be worth taking a look around online

I didnt buy a radar at the time, but subsequently bought the SwingCaddie SC200+

Strictly speaking it's a launch monitor, but the "+" model also includes a swing speed mode, so it picks up the sticks without hitting a ball.

I picked that up on a deal where they were charging the same price for the model I bought that they were charging their older models

Pretty sure that Superspeed are claiming to have around 650 touring pros using their kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I bought the Swing Speed golf over the winter but I was in the middle of lessons and I didn’t want to start until I was happy with my swing.
    I got them in McGuirks for about 130 I think.
    They should be the same as Superspeed.

Superspeed would be much better than swingspeed, the later one doesn't have the word "super" in it at all which would make me concerned about whether the results would be top tier.

Okay, I'm Pi$$taking.. but I'm really struggling to understand the value here. Seriously if there's some benefit to your golf game by swinging faster then you swing your clubs can you just take a broom-handle and send it or turn your golfclub the other way around and swing the light part. Or why not swing a roll of bogroll real fast? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

You can make them up, just put different sets of weights on the end of a shaft.
    It can be done using washers etc.

There’s not much difference between them 109g,150g and 200g. A few different exercises and that’s it.

From what I read they do work.

Superspeed would be much better than swingspeed, the later one doesn't have the word "super" in it at all which would make me concerned about whether the results would be top tier.

Okay, I'm Pi$$taking.. but I'm really struggling to understand the value here. Seriously if there's some benefit to your golf game by swinging faster then you swing your clubs can you just take a broom-handle and send it or turn your golfclub the other way around and swing the light part. Or why not swing a roll of bogroll real fast? :rolleyes:

The biggest correlation to how low your handicap is, is how fast you swing a club. Golfers with faster clubhead speeds are more likely to be lower handicaps.

The super speed system works on specific weights. If the club is too light or too heavy it effects technique negatively. That is why swinging a broomstick or a club upside down wouldn’t be that effective.

The super speed system is one of the best ways if not the best way to increase speed and increased speed with everyone else staying the same means lower scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The biggest correlation to how low your handicap is, is how fast you swing a club. Golfers with faster clubhead speeds are more likely to be lower handicaps.

I think you have that backwards.

Golfers with low handicaps are more likely to have faster clubhead speeds, which is a very different statement to what you said. Cause and effect.

They can swing faster *because* they are better golfers, they are not better golfers because they swing faster.

GreeBo wrote: »
    They can swing faster *because* they are better golfers, they are not better golfers because they swing faster.

Got something good there boy.. ? :rolleyes: :pac:

dog-digging-for-fun.jpg

He's not doing anyone any harm guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Got something good there boy.. ? :rolleyes: :pac:

dog-digging-for-fun.jpg

This one I reckon is because you simply dont understand my post.

Here is another example,
    Wealthy people spend a lot of money.
    Spending a lot of money doesn't make you wealthy.

Now replace wealth with "low handicap" and spending a lot of money with "swing fast".
    Geddit now?

It was brought up earlier, but swing speed is a function of your swing, its not just trying harder.

This one however I have no idea. Can you elaborate?

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think you have that backwards.

Golfers with low handicaps are more likely to have faster clubhead speeds, which is a very different statement to what you said. Cause and effect.

You are incorrect, the biggest limiting factor in how good a golfer can become is how fast they can swing a club. The further someone can hit it, the better they can become. There are no golfers swinging at 90mph on the PGA Tour, there aren't even any swinging at 100mph.

They can become better golfers because they swing the club fast but just because they can swing the club fast doesn't mean they will become better golfers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Nobody but himself; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15712503/

"In conclusion, this study has shown that club head speed is a valid indicator of performance in golfers and may therefore be a useful performance measure"

Obviously correlation does not mean causation in general but there is enough research to suggest higher swing speeds is a "cause" of lower handicaps.

Advertisement