Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super speed sticks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Nobody but himself

^ Cop on. He's digging. Successfully again. You're feeding it. The modus operandi is now fools will dance around in circles on the semantics of a dumb statement for the next 5 pages. Then someone will start doing the multiquote every word said thing. Be the better person ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You are incorrect, the biggest limiting factor in how good a golfer can become is how fast they can swing a club. The further someone can hit it, the better they can become. There are no golfers swinging at 90mph on the PGA Tour, there aren't even any swinging at 100mph.

They can become better golfers because they swing the club fast but just because they can swing the club fast doesn't mean they will become better golfers.

Your last sentence pretty much agrees with my post, so I'm not sure why you are saying Im incorrect.
    The fastest swinging golfers are not the best in the world or anywhere close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

In order to gain power in any capacity whether that's sprinting, jumping or a golf swing you're effectively applying plyometric principles. Maximum force in short intervals in order to increase power. That is what the drills appear to me to promote.

Increasing power in any of those areas is very difficult and becomes exponentially more difficult as we age. High level athletes generally lose explosiveness in their late 20s.

That's not to say one cannot increase their swing speed but I think before one goes down this route they need to ask themselves have they exhausted all other avenues.

Things like; is their technique as good as it could be; is their smash factor in around the 1.5 range approaching optimal; are they as physically fit as they could be.

If the answers to those questions are pretty much yes, then perhaps it's something to look at but the incremental gain may be relatively small for the work required.

The goal is an increase in ball speed, so perhaps you can get there by other means than an increased swing speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

GreeBo wrote: »
    Your last sentence pretty much agrees with my post, so I'm not sure why you are saying Im incorrect.
    The fastest swinging golfers are not the best in the world or anywhere close.

What you said is 'They can swing faster *because* they are better golfers, they are not better golfers because they swing faster.'

That is incorrect.

Golfers can become better golfers if they have fast swings, they don't get better and then start swinging faster.

All the best players in the world are fast swingers, the biggest correlation to success on the PGA Tour is how far you hit the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newport2

In order to gain power in any capacity whether that's sprinting, jumping or a golf swing you're effectively applying plyometric principles. Maximum force in short intervals in order to increase power. That is what the drills appear to me to promote.

Increasing power in any of those areas is very difficult and becomes exponentially more difficult as we age. High level athletes generally lose explosiveness in their late 20s.

That's not to say one cannot increase their swing speed but I think before one goes down this route they need to ask themselves have they exhausted all other avenues.

Things like; is their technique as good as it could be; is their smash factor in around the 1.5 range approaching optimal; are they as physically fit as they could be.

If the answers to those questions are pretty much yes, then perhaps it's something to look at but the incremental gain may be relatively small for the work required.

The goal is an increase in ball speed, so perhaps you can get there by other means than an increased swing speed.

I got them last September and have used them several times a week. I've gained 5-6 mph in my driver clubhead speed by putting in 15 mins 3 times a week. So that's about 15 yards I've gained from very little effort and I've gone over 100mph average for the first time (I'm in my 40's)

Harrington has done some good videos recently on Twitter regarding clubhead speed. One of the points he made is that if you have never done any training to increase your clubhead speed specifically, then it's very easy to gain speed with a reasonably small effort. I hadn't trained in this area before I did this, so I guess if I had it may have been harder to make as much progress.

I take your point about exhausting other avenues, but changing technique is a lot harder to do than this and requires a lot more commitment and perseverance. This is something anyone can do on their own without leaving their house. That said, I think quality of ball-striking is a lot more important than clubhead speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

newport2 wrote: »
    I got them last September and have used them several times a week since then. I've gained 5-6 mph in my driver clubhead speed by putting in 15 mins 3 times a week. So that's about 15 yards I've gained from very little effort and I've gone over 100mph average for the first time (I'm in my 40's), the most I ever was when I was younger was about 98.

Harrington has done some good videos recently on Twitter regarding clubhead speed. One of the points he made is that if you have never done any training to increase your clubhead speed specifically, then it's very easy to gain speed with a reasonably small effort. I hadn't trained in this area before I did this, so I guess if I had it may have been harder to make as much progress.

I take your point about exhausting other avenues, but using speed sticks can be done seperately or concurrently with changing your swing, so you don't have to try everything else first. Changing technique is a lot harder to do than this and requires a lot more commitment and perseverance. This is something anyone can do on their own without leaving their house. That said, I think quality of ball-striking is a lot more important than clubhead speed.

What, if any impact was there to your game from 130 yards an in? Short Irons, Wedges etc

willabur wrote: »
    What, if any impact was there to your game from 130 yards an in? Short Irons, Wedges etc

None really. On the full shots with irons I've gained almost a club, but haven't noticed any change once I'm inside that and hitting half-shots, etc. It happened very gradually I guess, not all of a sudden like a swing change.

That was a great side to it, it's the first time I've done anything to change my swing that wasn't detrimental in the short term to my game and that I didn't have to try and bring to the course. It just followed me there.

I got them last September and have used them several times a week since then. I've gained 5-6 mph in my driver clubhead speed by putting in 15 mins 3 times a week. So that's about 15 yards I've gained from very little effort and I've gone over 100mph average for the first time (I'm in my 40's), the most I ever was when I was younger was about 98.

I take your point about exhausting other avenues, but using speed sticks can be done seperately or concurrently with changing your swing, so you don't have to try everything else first. Changing technique is a lot harder to do than this and requires a lot more commitment and perseverance. This is something anyone can do on their own without leaving their house. That said, I think quality of ball-striking is a lot more important than clubhead speed.

That's a great increase, 40 is relatively young ;), it's harder to gain speed after the late 20s as most athletes lose theirs across the board but obviously possible.

As you said, a newbie to that type of training will undoubtedly get some incremental gains. I guess it's a case of where you are as a golfer. I get the impression -correct if I'm wrong- that you're a decent golfer, middling single digit handicapper perhaps.

At that range, you're probably at a diminishing returns situation with technique where you are better served perhaps getting distance.

For someone like me in the low-mid double digits, the additional speed may be less beneficial.

I think your point regarding the concurrent nature of the programme with lessons etc is very true.

Is this something you plan to keep up as a means of maintaining the additional speed?

That's a great increase, 40 is relatively young ;), it's harder to gain speed after the late 20s as most athletes lose theirs across the board but obviously possible.

As you said, a newbie to that type of training will undoubtedly get some incremental gains. I guess it's a case of where you are as a golfer. I get the impression -correct if I'm wrong- that you're a decent golfer, middling single digit handicapper perhaps.

At that range, you're probably at a diminishing returns situation with technique where you are better served perhaps getting distance.

For someone like me in the low-mid double digits, the additional speed may be less beneficial.

I think your point regarding the concurrent nature of the programme with lessons etc is very true.

Is this something you plan to keep up as a means of maintaining the additional speed?

Off 6. I felt distance was holding me back somewhat, in that a lot of the guys I play with who are in the 2-10 range would hit it a lot longer. To the extent that I'm hitting a 7 into the green and they are hitting a wedge. I felt that this was putting me at a big disadvantage. Before the lockdown, I was hitting probably a 9 iron on the same hole I would have been hitting a 7 a year ago, due to the half club + driver distance. So that should make a big difference to me. Even confidence wise it does, which surprised me a bit.

I will definitely keep it up with the sticks, although I don't mind if I don't gain any more speed. I've read if you don't keep doing it you will start to lose the speed again.

What you said is 'They can swing faster *because* they are better golfers, they are not better golfers because they swing faster.'

That is incorrect.
    Its not though.
    The ability to swing fast isnt what makes them better golfers. If it was then the long drive guys would be the best golfers in the world.
    Golfers can become better golfers if they have fast swings, they don't get better and then start swinging faster.
    Part of "getting better" is being able to swing faster, due to technique.
    If your sequence is wrong then all the swing speed in the world isnt going to help you, it would probably hurt you in fact. (=> Phil Mickelson this/last season)

Or to put it another way "they gont get faster and then start getting better".
    All the best players in the world are fast swingers, the biggest correlation to success on the PGA Tour is how far you hit the ball

Distance and swing speed have smash factor as arguably the most important part of the equation. If you are not maximizing your smash factor then just swinging faster is useless. In fact its worse than useless as most people lower their smash factor (and hence ball speed and distance) when they swing faster.

The PGA tour is full of people who can mix smash factor with swing speed.
    Either without the other is no use to a golfer.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that for 99.9% of golfers, increasing swing speed is not going to be the most efficient way to lower your scores.

If people want to buy it, then fine, but in my opinion there are much better exercises (TPI has lots of info) that you should be doing to improve your golf fitness and even that should only be part of working with someone who knows what they (and hence you!) are doing.

• Advertisement

Off 6. I felt distance was holding me back somewhat, in that a lot of the guys I play with who are in the 2-10 range would hit it a lot longer. To the extent that I'm hitting a 7 into the green and they are hitting a wedge. I felt that this was putting me at a big disadvantage. Before the lockdown, I was hitting probably a 9 iron on the same hole I would have been hitting a 7 a year ago, due to the half club + driver distance. So that should make a big difference to me. Even confidence wise it does, which surprised me a bit.

I will definitely keep it up with the sticks, although I don't mind if I don't gain any more speed. I've read if you don't keep doing it you will start to lose the speed again.

That's my thinking too, it's a maintenance thing. I think a 5% increase in any element of your game is a great bump.

Judging on what you have said, you're probably the ideal candidate for them.

Perhaps in 5 years time if I make it down near the single digit range I'll consider them but for now I have far bigger issues to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭kod12

What radar did you get with yours? on the website they have 2 packages with with a radar attached at a reduced rate. Just wondering which is more accurate/value to use or can they be got separate at a better rate somewhere else. Thanks

https://www.superspeedgolf.co.uk/collections/all-products/products/bundle-deal-training-set-prgr-radar

https://www.superspeedgolf.co.uk/collections/all-products/products/bundle-deal

kod12 wrote: »
    What radar did you get with yours? on the website they have 2 packages with with a radar attached at a reduced rate. Just wondering which is more accurate/value to use or can they be got separate at a better rate somewhere else. Thanks

https://www.superspeedgolf.co.uk/collections/all-products/products/bundle-deal-training-set-prgr-radar

You can get swing speed radars on ebay for ~€60 delivered.
    (You can also get the same model for €150+ for some reason!)
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Supido-Multi-Sports-Personal-Speed-Radar-Precision-Training-Instrument/324133916501?hash=item4b77e30f55:g:sWMAAOSw7RJek1jM

Cheers for that

kod12 wrote: »

The one I have is like the second one, had it from years ago. Like Greebo said, you can get them cheap, so I would purchase them seperately from the sticks. I think this is my exact one

https://www.bratyk.xyz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=167

I've done it on Trackman as well and it's in and around the same. The important thing is to have something to benchmark yourself against. There's no way I would have kept it up if I wasn't able to track progress of some sort.

The one I have is like the second one, had it from years ago. Like Greebo said, you can get them cheap, so I would purchase them seperately from the sticks. I think this is my exact one

I've done it on Trackman as well and it's in and around the same. The important thing is to have something to benchmark yourself against. There's no way I would have kept it up if I wasn't able to track progress of some sort.

Perfect thats a good deal there on that site. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Just be very careful on that site. It’s only a few weeks old and I can’t find any reviews on it.
    That item is very cheap on it.
    It could be fine but just be careful.

Just be very careful on that site. It’s only a few weeks old and I can’t find any reviews on it.
    That item is very cheap on it.
    It could be fine but just be careful.

Ye, good point. Never used it, just googled it

Ye, good point. Never used it, just googled it

I read a few of their FAQ and other links... Wouldn't touch that site with your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone use these and seen improvement in length over the Summer? I’m going work on getting fitter and more flexible during winter but wondering are any worth purchasing based on results you got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Quahog217

Anyone use these and seen improvement in length over the Summer? I’m going work on getting fitter and more flexible during winter but wondering are any worth purchasing based on results you got.

They do work especially when doing fitness work also but if you stop doing the speed sticks the extra speed will dwindle away fairly fast.

Advertisement