Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence gap

Options
  • 09-04-2020 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, we have panel fencing either side of our garden and looking for an economical way of filling the gaps as planning to put sleeper beds in and for added privacy. Anyone with any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

redvee81 wrote: »
    Hi, we have panel fencing either side of our garden and looking for an economical way of filling the gaps as planning to put sleeper beds in and for added privacy. Anyone with any ideas?

Can't picture your description.

Do you have any pictures of the fence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I presume the panels are slotted into concrete posts?, if so get decking cut to whatever length the panels are and slot them one on top of the other. Get a small thin strip of wood and put it in where each piece is slotted into to keep them flush and not to shake in wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 redvee81

This is what I’m looking to fill

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you fill the gaps all the way up the fence is more likely to blow over in strong wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I'd get new planks and screw them over the old ones to hid the gaps. I wouldn't be putting soil up against that fence. If that's what you where thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I wouldn't be putting soil up against that fence. If that's what you where thinking.

^^^ This. I was a bit confused by the mentioning of sleeper beds so took it you meant using the fence as one side too.

Build the beds standalone just in front of the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

As pointed out, it has no support behind it. Block the gaps and it will be blown over. You would need to put in reinforcements etc

• Registered Users Posts: 34 redvee81

Thanks everyone for helpful responses. I think the stand alone boxes is a great idea until fences are replaced with better ones. Hopefully shrubs will offer a bit more privacy. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks everyone for helpful responses. I think the stand alone boxes is a great idea until fences are replaced with better ones. Hopefully shrubs will offer a bit more privacy. Thanks again

Miss Shefwed was on about boxes on pigsback? cant see now but I think she said they have them on offer....worth a check

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

This is what I’m looking to fill
    Screw in vertical slats on your side, to match each of the fence posts, then screw horizontal planks to them, spacing them so that each of them coincides with a gap. In this way you will convert it into a fence you can't see through but it will still have gaps for the wind to blow through,(rather than blowing it down), thereby giving you privacy.

You will need to use treated timber for longevity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement