Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience with planting seeds from Store bought produce

Options
  • 09-04-2020 8:30am

Hi

With all the madness and difficulty getting seeds i have decided to give the seeds from store bought veg a good.
    Anyone have any experiences?

I have some cherry tomatoes in the fridge and going to used the seeds from one of them, also a red chilli and a red bell pepper.
    I saw on Facebook about planting marrowfat peas and i did and to my amazement they have all sprouted.

Just checking here on peoples experiences with this and whether the harvest is worth it. Theres an Indian guy on youtube that has lots of videos of doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Hi

With all the madness and difficulty getting seeds i have decided to give the seeds from store bought veg a good.
    Anyone have any experiences?

I have some cherry tomatoes in the fridge and going to used the seeds from one of them, also a red chilli and a red bell pepper.
    I saw on Facebook about planting marrowfat peas and i did and to my amazement they have all sprouted.

Just checking here on peoples experiences with this and whether the harvest is worth it. Theres an Indian guy on youtube that has lots of videos of doing it.

The problem is that seeds from hybrids won’t necessarily be like the parent. So your tomatoes may not be as sweet. The other problem is that those strains are probably adapted to hotter countries. The seed we buy here is usually optimized for cooler conditions, and also for disease resistance. But for all that it’s certainly worth a go - my experience is that the chillis will be great, the tomatoes might be good, or might be hit by disease, and sweet peppers depend on us getting an exceptional summer. Good luck, enjoy the experiment.
    Btw if you ever buy tomato seeds, look for ‘Heirloom’ varieties, that means that it comes true from seed so you can save your own year after year.

Multipass wrote: »
    The problem is that seeds from hybrids won’t necessarily be like the parent. So your tomatoes may not be as sweet. The other problem is that those strains are probably adapted to hotter countries. The seed we buy here is usually optimized for cooler conditions, and also for disease resistance. But for all that it’s certainly worth a go - my experience is that the chillis will be great, the tomatoes might be good, or might be hit by disease, and sweet peppers depend on us getting an exceptional summer. Good luck, enjoy the experiment.
    Btw if you ever buy tomato seeds, look for ‘Heirloom’ varieties, that means that it comes true from seed so you can save your own year after year.

Thanks will definitely look out for that variety.

I have a polytunnel so will be planting them in that. Messing around at the moment with a few things like the marrowfat peas. Do you know any good supply of coriander seeds, i want to get a good lot of them to harvest off for most of the year as i like making currys and you cant beat the fresh stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Well there is a few I know of that will gladly take 2 or 3 not necessarily seeds! Leeks and Celery will gladly grow provided the end the root grows out of is present. For the leek the part you discard will start growing within 4 days, haven't tried with onion or scallion but I'd imagine it would be the same!

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ-Vj6qfGgTOdzL5Dyv7cdlzLvlnDpZlmhOc2WnlUOrzZL3esgy&usqp=CAU

Celery is the same thing:

how-to-grow-celery-at-home.jpg

Marrowfat peas will grow from seed. Place them under a wet kitchen roll and they should start to sprout within a 4-5 days also, where they can be transferred into a container or planted in the spot they are to grow.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

It can take some time for other seeds to grow: Tomato really should be planted indoors in late jan - early feb to to get a head start but I haven't tried to grow them from store bought varieties, too tasty. I suppose strawberry seeds would grow but could be a job removing them. I have grown an apple seedling from apples also, did this 2 years ago and the seedling is about 2 foot tall now. Potatoes will gladly grow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

apple is one of the plants which will rarely come true to the parent apple.

as Multipass mentioned, the problem is with many plants, they won't produce clones of themselves in the same way humans don't give birth to their own clones.

apple is one of the plants which will rarely come true to the parent apple.

as Multipass mentioned, the problem is with many plants, they won't produce clones of themselves in the same way humans don't give birth to their own clones.

I know!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I've found the seeds from Aldi and Lidl quite good for a well rounded strike rate.

Most of my seed orders are from Chiltern seeds in the UK
    Because I like the heritage varieties and most of the time I try to keep it as pure as possible.

Although I have to admit that I grow hybrids now and again more for a decorative effect rather than for culinary uses.

Here's an update on the Celery/Scallion, potted the leek there last week and place these into water. Easy growing for sure!

Probably another week and pot these on.

509729.jpg
    Rocket in the jar

Advertisement