Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to help communities/front line staff

Options
  • 09-04-2020 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi All

So at work I am looking to get a budget to provide services locally to support those in need/those in the front line.

We would have always get a decent budget for food and services each week so as the office is closed we are trying to make a case. We need a good idea to present but also something that is effective.

So ideas included

getting front line staff food each week

supporting those vulnerable or in isolation

We are kind of late to the party as there are many business's already doing all of these.

Any ideas of what we could do to really help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭GBX

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi All

So at work I am looking to get a budget to provide services locally to support those in need/those in the front line.

We would have always get a decent budget for food and services each week so as the office is closed we are trying to make a case. We need a good idea to present but also something that is effective.

So ideas included

getting front line staff food each week

supporting those vulnerable or in isolation

We are kind of late to the party as there are many business's already doing all of these.

Any ideas of what we could do to really help

My fiance is frontline in Dublin. There are businesses already doing stuff. But make contact with your local hospital, garda, fire brigade, service to see what's needed.
    I know some companies providing the food services have gotten donations which is great but additional options might take the burden off and spread it round so that it can be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Before you try and do anything on your own I would suggest getting in touch with community on call.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/community_support_during_covid19.html

For most people the best thing they can do to help during this is to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

GBX wrote: »
    My fiance is frontline in Dublin. There are businesses already doing stuff. But make contact with your local hospital, garda, fire brigade, service to see what's needed.
    I know some companies providing the food services have gotten donations which is great but additional options might take the burden off and spread it round so that it can be extended.

this is it, we have made contact with a few departments in the hospital and the take away from it that they have plenty of support as it stands and more would be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭GBX

skinny90 wrote: »
    this is it, we have made contact with a few departments in the hospital and the take away from it that they have plenty of support as it stands and more would be wasted.

Maybe contact hospices & nursing homes. Not sure of your location - even make contact with your local councillor or TD who might have details if anyone has contacted them for support.

This video here blew me away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbEj7M3aZIg&t=54s

Basically it was a successful you tuber who brought together a lot of people with 3d Printers to help print out face shields for front line medical workers. Which they then sterilised and delivered. Amazing stuff. The entire video is a testament to what humanity is capable of when we come together.

The biggest take away for me from it however was that if you have a wish to help - or an idea - then simply charging ahead with it is not good. Nor is taking up the time of valuable workers by calling them all to find out.

So what they did in the video is identify people in key support positions and contacting them with their ideas to help. In the case of the video rather than going to doctors or hospitals wasting their time with the face mask idea they identified medical logistical personnel and approached them.

I wonder how many 3d printers boards users have between them though :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement