Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC issues

Options
  • 09-04-2020 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I got a build on here about 7months ago and I finally got all the parts yesterday (I had to buy 2 sets of everything so it was very pricey)

I set up the first PC and got case and CPU fans but no display, turned it off then on about 3 more times after a quick visual look that everything was in place and it worked. (I mashed del to get into bios each time I tried to set it up)

The problem is I seem to be facing the same issue with the second PC and it doesn't seem to want to work.. any help with would be greatly appreciated as I've been going nuts trying to figure out what to do.

The build is

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yQs8yk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I remember this.

Are you 100% full sure that all the parts you bought are compatible with eachother?

Have u tried a different PSU?

Take out the graphics card and try to run it on the integrated graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mr May0

I remember this.

Are you 100% full sure that all the parts you bought are compatible with eachother?

Have u tried a different PSU?

Take out the graphics card and try to run it on the integrated graphics.

Yeah the person I got the list from seemed to know what they were taking about it was k.o.k.i I think and partspicker didn't have an issue plus the first PC works fine now.

I tried taking out the graphics card yesterday and it didn't help also tried the 1 ram stick and it didn't help either.

I'll try the PSU from the first build and see if it makes any difference.

Don't rely on someone else say so that the parts are compatible. You need to verify this yourself.
    Go on the CPU, motherboard and ram manufacturer's websites and check to see that the components are compatible. In particular, if the CPU and chipset don't support eachother, it is going to be dead. I would let that be the first check.

Also, are you taking proper precautions to protect against electrostatic discharge damage? If not, you might have blown components the moment they came out of the packet.

Perhaps a simple and dumb seeming question, but are you full sure that your monitor and the cable to it are working properly? Could you try a different monitor and cable to rule out the monitor side of things?

Another thing to check, is there any jumpers or microswitches that need to be set or moved to allow the motherboard to boot? Is there any chance that there is a plastic insulator strip underneath the RTC battery that needs to be pulled out? Check the motherboard literature for guidance on this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What port are you using on the GPU? You've probably already tried this but I remember when I built mine the displays wouldn't come on at first while I was using the Display Port, switching to the hdmi sorted it. Display port worked fine from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

take the board out of the case, place board on something wooden and re-install just the CPU and RAM

Power up the board by just shorting the power switch pins

If it doesn't switch on, reseat the CPU and try just one stick of ram at a time

• Advertisement

There are often several 4 pin or 6 pin cables coming from the psu to power the board. Make sure that you are connecting the right one. I had this issue once before.

Don't rely on someone else say so that the parts are compatible. You need to verify this yourself.
    Go on the CPU, motherboard and ram manufacturer's websites and check to see that the components are compatible. In particular, if the CPU and chipset don't support eachother, it is going to be dead. I would let that be the first check.

Also, are you taking proper precautions to protect against electrostatic discharge damage? If not, you might have blown components the moment they came out of the packet.

Perhaps a simple and dumb seeming question, but are you full sure that your monitor and the cable to it are working properly? Could you try a different monitor and cable to rule out the monitor side of things?

Another thing to check, is there any jumpers or microswitches that need to be set or moved to allow the motherboard to boot? Is there any chance that there is a plastic insulator strip underneath the RTC battery that needs to be pulled out? Check the motherboard literature for guidance on this.

Everything is definitely compatible. I built two identical PC's, one for me and one for my wife. The first one I built works but the second one won't.

I've tried another monitor but no luck unfortunately. The USB ports don't seem to be getting any power either as no lights are coming on on the keyboard. (I'm making sure to use USB 2.0)

I wore an antistatic band during both builds and made sure it was properly grounded.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What port are you using on the GPU? You've probably already tried this but I remember when I built mine the displays wouldn't come on at first while I was using the Display Port, switching to the hdmi sorted it. Display port worked fine from then on.

I'm using HDMI, I've tried the HDMI on the motherboard and the graphics card.

kingtiger wrote: »
    take the board out of the case, place board on something wooden and re-install just the CPU and RAM

Power up the board by just shorting the power switch pins

If it doesn't switch on, reseat the CPU and try just one stick of ram at a time

I've tried this about 10 times since last night, no luck unfortunately.

There are often several 4 pin or 6 pin cables coming from the psu to power the board. Make sure that you are connecting the right one. I had this issue once before.

The right ones are definitely connected, I have both PCs set up exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Mr May0 wrote: »
    I've tried this about 10 times since last night, no luck unfortunately.

you have another rig built with the same components? or did a read that incorrectly?

if so, you may need to swap parts around until you find the problem

*edit* do you have an old motherboard speaker that you can plug in? and see if there are any beep codes

Orientation of CPU in the socket is confirmed to be correct?

Certainly very strange if you built an identical PC and that works and this one won't.

Orientation of CPU in the socket is confirmed to be correct?

Certainly very strange if you built an identical PC and that works and this one won't.

So after taking the whole thing apart and verifying everything was were it was meant to be, I switched it on and it now works 😂

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm so happy it was just being a pain in the ass

What was it that was wrong in the end? Was it the CPU orientation?

What will you do with the other set of parts you now have? will you build it and sell the PC or will you sell the parts?

What will you do with the other set of parts you now have? will you build it and sell the PC or will you sell the parts?

I'm guessing something needed just a little extra pressure, I don't have extra parts now the second PC is working fine so it's all good 🙂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Didn't think you could easily do that. Is there not usually either a blanked off hole in the socket that needs to be matched to the same spot (missing pin) on the CPU, or a notch on the CPU where there are no pins (e.g. Threadripper)?

There is usually, but I wouldn't say it would be impossible for the unfamiliar to manage to fit it the wrong way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Is it a graphics card issue.

I had something similar happen to me, try plug out the graphics card. Then turn it on, it will then use the onboard card. If it works then you need to install the drivers for the graphics card first, then slot it back in.

He tried that already. Anyway, he got it working.

Advertisement