Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Get the flu vaccine, with flu being generally less contagious and with the vaccine, social distancing, hand washing etc the flu shouldn't hit as hard.

On that note MRSA levels in Irish hospitals have dropped dramatically....... Because people are washing their hands. It's really ****ing simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Tenger wrote: »
    On that note MRSA levels in Irish hospitals have dropped dramatically....... Because people are washing their hands. It's really ****ing simple.

It's an inside job for sure, but yes you're right.
    Common sense is quite rare.

I also think that the perspex in shops is a great idea, it'll protect against passing on flus, colds etc

There's a lot of memories of the 80's and late 70's resonance in my head these days.

Families out together, kid's cycling with fishing rods strapped to cross bars, the local pale guy with colour on his face, the local psychopath is even more friendly... that's not me by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

German R rate already back above 1.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

German R rate already back above 1.

As expected. I was due to travel to Hong Kong in mid February. So I’ve been watching info on this virus since Jan 18-20th.
    Health experts back then were describing the normal course of viral outbreaks.
    A 2nd or 3rd wave is normal after initial measures are lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A second wave is inevitable especially given that the virus appears to also not be seasonal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

December the 5th at 7.03am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

nthclare wrote: »
    I'm neither left or right leaning myself but I do think Loe is handling it ok and genuinely he'd love to see us all out getting back to normal.

He did ok, but he would have done a better job if he closed the borders and focused on the nursing homes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its probably going to turn out that the second wave is part of a sine wave which continues until a vaccine is widely administered. So every so often we'll have to retreat back indoors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Are there certain types of socially awkward people that are revelling in the lockdown and would like to see it continue indefinitely? I know of some friends of family members that seem to want the lockdown to be the ‘new normal’. It seems to go beyond rational informed thought. Facts like reduced death rate, ICU numbers and transmission rates don’t seem to sink in with them from what I heard. They look for any piece of negative news to stay locked away for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Disappointed. Thought this would be about ridin’ during lockdown

• Advertisement

Loads of sterotypical IT type lads are loving the wfh thing..... Don't even have to change whatever maggoty t shirt they wear all day & night now for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Well I'd not like to see it continue indefinitely but I'd be someone that has had little issue dealing with the lack of social interaction.
    I work with the public so it could well be that I'm just that fed up listening to some of the rubbish over and over that I'm glad of the peace and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Some people are real doom merchants and seem to revel in the bad news, even exaggerating it. Perhaps they are struggling to cope and venting on boards is a type of release/therapy for them. Boards really shows up how many bad/mad people there are in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Whirlaway

Are there certain types of socially awkward people that are revelling in the lockdown and would like to see it continue indefinitely?

You seem to have answered the question yourself:

I know of some friends of family members that seem to want the lockdown to be the ‘new normal’.

Of course there are some people loving it. But they are a tiny, tiny percentage of the population.

Are there certain types of socially awkward people that are revelling in the lockdown and would like to see it continue indefinitely? I know of some friends of family members that seem to want the lockdown to be the ‘new normal’. It seems to go beyond rational informed thought. Facts like reduced death rate, ICU numbers and transmission rates don’t seem to sink in with them from what I heard. They look for any piece of negative news to stay locked away for as long as possible.

Reduced death rates, ICU numbers, and transmission rates are because of the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Reduced death rates, ICU numbers, and transmission rates are because of the lockdown.

Indeed. Cause and effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Absolutely crazy that a relatively large percentage of people don't grasp that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There's no way we don't fúck this up. The absolute state of Dublin today

Scenes at the Barge bar

https://twitter.com/discountcodez1/status/1263176841801732096?s=09

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/gnh024/serious_numbers_of_disease_vectors_drinking_cans/

Traffic chaos at the McDonalds Drive Thru on Kylemore Road in Dublin

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1263076196339855360?s=20

The Dart, full of "bulletproof" teenagers who could be asymptomatic

https://imgur.com/XWXQhwS

And nationally:

99% of commuters 'ignoring advice' on face masks according to transport workers

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/99-of-commuters-ignoring-advice-on-face-masks-according-to-transport-workers-1000714.html

What is wrong with us as a nation? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

We need an economy people are not sheep the government are meant to act of the will of the people not the other way around.

People have said enough lockdown and forget about masks.

People who don't like it can stay it their homes on bread and water.

Had evil twats on here saying they wished I would be in a fatal accident a few weeks ago for going for a drive.

Isolate the sick not the healthy the lockdown is over.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

What is wrong with us as a nation? :confused:

We listen to too much toddle like your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Even during the quietest couple of weeks there were still gangs of teenagers everywhere. The Garda never did anything and they're not going to do anything now. It was actually a little bit worrying how useless the Garda are, I wonder how they'd fare in a dangerous crisis, mass rioting or something, not very well I think.
    Hopefully it's not out there much in the community now so it doesn't spread.

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Even during the quietest couple of weeks there were still gangs of teenagers everywhere. The Garda never did anything and they're not going to do anything now. It was actually a little bit worrying how useless the Garda are, I wonder how they'd fare in a dangerous crisis, mass rioting or something, not very well I think.
    Hopefully it's not out there much in the community now so it doesn't spread.

Anybody who thinks the people are going to accept another lockdown must be off their meds or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anybody who thinks the people are going to accept another lockdown must be off their meds or something.

Yeah but a lot of people didn't accept it anyway. Seafront near me was busy with groups the whole time, the parks were too, the Garda just drove by.
    There wasn't really a lockdown at all just some politicians asked if we wouldn't mind staying inside.
    People probably just weren't driving that far from home and many businesses are shut and people are working from home, that is mostly all that has been adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Was never a lockdown.

Italy, spain, yes.

Ireland, no.

Yeah but a lot of people didn't accept it anyway. Seafront near me was busy with groups the whole time, the parks were too, the Garda just drove by.
    There wasn't really a lockdown at all just some politicians asked if we wouldn't mind staying inside.
    People probably just weren't driving that far from home and many businesses are shut and people are working from home, that is mostly all that has been adhered to.

Good old Leo good on the box and warned us of up to 85,000 dead and most of the population infected.

In hindsight that was a load of old bollox.

People have had enough expect things to get back to normal pretty rapid.
    We will have pubs operating a food service in June a cup of hot nuts and 8 pints.

We have free speech but it does not come free it has to be defended.

People have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

You can't expect kids and teens to stay at home for the next 4 months.
    Summer is here, its was a cracking day and friends are meeting up outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have stuck religiously to the lockdown only going to work and for walks, my husband is doing 99% of the shopping as he is working from home and therefore not out in public like I am when I am working. We are scrupulous about handwashing.

Everyone has to get over this watching and spying on everyone else the place is turning in to the valley of the squinting window.

I know its hard for those with anxiety and would have some small sympathy for them.

No sympathy for those whos fascist tendencies are coming out.

Good old Leo good on the box and warned us of up to 85,000 dead and most of the population infected.

In hindsight that was a load of old bollox.

People have had enough expect things to get back to normal pretty rapid.
    We will have pubs operating a food service in June a cup of hot nuts and 8 pints.

We have free speech but it does not come free it has to be defended.

People have had enough.

We have suppressed with the lockdown the prediction is what would have happened if we has not had the lockdown why o why is that so hard to understand for some people.

mariaalice wrote: »
    We have suppressed with the lockdown the prediction is what would have happened if we has not had the lockdown why o why is that so hard to understand for some people.

Nah 85,000 dead not a chance.

• Advertisement

Was never a lockdown.

Italy, spain, yes.

Ireland, no.

Alright, we had lockdown light.

Advertisement