Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House move - man with a van?

Options
  • 09-04-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

We are in the process of moving from an apartment to a house, and trying to suss out what is the best way to do the move, any tips of relevance from those of you who have been there is appreciated.

It’s a family moving with some items of furniture staying where they are etc. We’ve got a few of those massive Ikea plastic boxes before they shut, and are firing stuff in like clothes etc. Obviously, with the shut down etc we won’t be hiring vans in the short term, but trying to suss out the logistics.

In terms of the easiest thing to do, is it use regular car licence, hire one of those mini vans, and do multiple trips or better off getting professionals to do it?

Are there firms who do everything, as in van from A to B, provide storage boxes, and also deliver it to whichever room.

Ideally, I’d be looking for a man and van and boxes, and I could help out.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You'll be unlikely to get someone at the moment.

Is it necessary to move at the minute. Could you not stay put for another few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

if its just an apartment with no furniture a Transit / Trafic size van will move your stuff in 2-3 trips tops.

I had furniture with mine so there was 4 trips involved.

Steer clear of smaller stuff like Kangoo size.

Personally id rent and drive just easier and less stress you know where everything is your not dealing with a third party and availability and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Driving a long wheel base Transit is as easy as a Fiat 500, just a bugger to park. Car rental places are open.

Edit: Seems some of them are doing a very limited selection of vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Will moving house be a valid reason to be out if you are stopped by a Guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭drinkingwater

https://www.enterprise.ie/en/car-hire/deals/affinity/ikea.html

52/day, but obviously you'll need to drive it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

traveller2 wrote: »
    We are in the process of moving from an apartment to a house, and trying to suss out what is the best way to do the move, any tips of relevance from those of you who have been there is appreciated.

It’s a family moving with some items of furniture staying where they are etc. We’ve got a few of those massive Ikea plastic boxes before they shut, and are firing stuff in like clothes etc. Obviously, with the shut down etc we won’t be hiring vans in the short term, but trying to suss out the logistics.

In terms of the easiest thing to do, is it use regular car licence, hire one of those mini vans, and do multiple trips or better off getting professionals to do it?

Are there firms who do everything, as in van from A to B, provide storage boxes, and also deliver it to whichever room.

Ideally, I’d be looking for a man and van and boxes, and I could help out.

Any recommendations?

Get a man with a van. They will do all the lifting and moving. It will be worth every cent.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I moved from an apartment to a house and got a moving company to do it - they only needed a small truck and everything was brought over in one trip. They carried everything out of the apartment and unloaded it in the rooms where I wanted it in the house. I think it was €450 or thereabouts and was the best money I ever spent. I checked their website there now and they're still operating, I can PM you the name if you want. We were going to hire a van, but then the idea of getting it parked at the apartment, and then trying to get it parked at the house and also having to do all the lifting ourselves was off putting. I'd hired a long wheel base transit for an IKEA trip before and while it's a doddle to drive, it's a pain to park because it's too long for a standard space so you could run into issues at your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if go cargo vans can still be used, they would be handy... they have a daily rate...

some of the man with van want comedy money for what they are doing, get a price though op...

• Administrators Posts: 53,802 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When I moved from an apartment to a house, I hired a Go Cargo for the day. I hired a Renault Trafic which is a mid size van, the largest vans (Transits etc) may not fit in underground car parks.

Cost like 90 quid for the day.

The hardest thing is getting things down the lift. We stacked everything up outside the lift; then filled it and squeezed in, then unloaded at the bottom. Rinse and repeat.

It will take you a day, if you’re able bodied and can even get someone to help you’ll fly through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I moved in January and used goCar. They have cargo vans and smaller vans for €14 an hour. It's easy to sign up to. You sign up online and it took a day to get verified. You use a leap card or similar to open the van. So you don't have to wait for anything to be posted out.

I ended up going 3 runs over 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Could you not stay put for another few weeks?
    Weeks will turn into months. Would advise the OP to move. Also, being kept in the new house will allow them to do all the small jobs that new houses need.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We looked at a moving company 3 weeks ago and were quoted 650.

Since then, we moved about 50% of the stuff and are down to the larger pieces.

Still wanted to charge me 650 and giving no discounts for essentially doing half the work.

Rented a van for tomorrow. 55 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traveller2

Hi all,

Many thanks for your responses on this, much appreciated, was offline for quite a few days.

Conor – Not a chance we’d risk doing the move until after the May Bank Holiday weekend, or as soon as the restrictions are lifted.

Listermint – Noted on the smaller van, we’d realistically only be able to use the smaller van for lugging boxes etc.

General questions, a Transit Van would comfortably take King Size Beds? What’s best way to do it? Take bases in first ‘drive’ and then mattresses?

Do People cover bases or mattresses before they lug in the van? To keep them clean/undamaged?

Toots, thanks a million for that recommendation, I will PM you. Much appreciated.

AWEC – We are third floor in apartment and actually had thoughts similar to yours regarding lift, is it not easier to just use the stairs? Can mattresses even fit into lifts? Don’t want to break it!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

traveller2 wrote: »

Hi all,

Many thanks for your responses on this, much appreciated, was offline for quite a few days.

Conor – Not a chance we’d risk doing the move until after the May Bank Holiday weekend, or as soon as the restrictions are lifted.

Listermint – Noted on the smaller van, we’d realistically only be able to use the smaller van for lugging boxes etc.

General questions, a Transit Van would comfortably take King Size Beds? What’s best way to do it? Take bases in first ‘drive’ and then mattresses?

Do People cover bases or mattresses before they lug in the van? To keep them clean/undamaged?

Toots, thanks a million for that recommendation, I will PM you. Much appreciated.

AWEC – We are third floor in apartment and actually had thoughts similar to yours regarding lift, is it not easier to just use the stairs? Can mattresses even fit into lifts? Don’t want to break it!

Depends where you are based but Alma Packaging in Cabra (possibly closed right now until restrictions lift) have all you could need for supplies for moving including mattress bags which are a gift to keep them clean! We got all we needed for a 3 bed house move with them recently.

We rented a transit Luton body truck with a tail lift from vanrentals.ie and did everything in 2 runs and you can drive it on a car license. The tail lift will save your back!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

with the mattesses, you could just put the mattress sheets over both sides, one over top and one over bottom of mattress, would give it some protection...

• Administrators Posts: 53,802 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

King size mattress probably won't fit in a lift. You'll have to go down the stairs with that.

But if you plan on taking everything down the stairs then I pity your poor back. :)

King size bed - if it's a divan then it'll be in 2 parts, each part should fit in the lift. If it's a wooden frame I'd dismantle it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

King size mattresses will fit in a standard lift with a push if there's some flexibility to it. A wooden king size base is always best to disassemble. Mattress cover sheets work good for protecting against scuffing just throw them in the wash once the move is done. Mattress protectors are really only necessary for storage or if you think your mover won't have a clean van. Any reputable and decent mover will keep their vans clean.

Prices can vary a lot between companies, some will overprice to account for any unexpected items or understated lists (happens a lot), then others will charge prices that wouldn't be worth doing the job to others. I charge based on time so the customer can opt to help, or not to have boxes brought to specific rooms, do their own packing etc so the jobs is done faster and cheaper!

The go car vans are a great option for moving small stuff, but for a big move with a lot of furniture, you'd need to do several runs and if you don't know how to stack and pack a van and secure items safely, as well as moving them safely, you risk marring/scratching/breaking items too.

Advertisement