Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus on the news

Options
  • 09-04-2020 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how you are reacting to all the non stop coverage on all news channels and radio about the virus, I have stopped looking at the tv news and change channels on the radio, I find it is just destroying our lives with all the talk about it and all the deaths, you never hear about how many have recovered, does anyone remember the Swine Flu epidemic in 2009 we had no rolling non stop news about it yet it killed 575k World wide and put hundreds of thousands of people in hospital ,do you think this being led big time by the news media .any thoughts

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

I totally agree. Would be very sceptical about it all

There is major propaganda around this and very little facts other then Headline News deaths eg comparison to flu deaths, real infection and mortality rates, deaths quoted include those who have the disease but may not have died from it etc. Never a lockdown for swine flu or other bad flu seasons, Why now?
    Did anyone ask the Over 70s are they happy to be effectively imprisoned at home??

No dissent and no questions at all, the media etc should be ashamed of its independent status

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Swine flu had a mortality rate of around 0.02%.
    This has a mortality rate of around 2% , but it is higher in many countries.

Hospitals were not overwhelmed in 2009 by Swine Flu, medical staff were not getting infect and dying the way they have in Italy. Army trucks did not travel through European cities loaded with corpses to dispose of. The UK did not have to errect tents as temporary morgues because their system couldn't deal with the level of dead. Medical staff did not chose not to go home to their families because they were so afraid of infecting them with something they've seen to be deadly.
    It's not a conspiracy. If you search for it you can watch it happening with your own eyes.

This is what happens when people do not watch the news and inform themselves of what's going on in the world, the fill the gaps in their knowledge with whatever is most comfortable and conforms to their own world view. In this instance it's really very dangerous. You know you aren't talking about fact here but by indulging in the notion that this might be some big conspiracy or something put about to fill news cycles and spreading that you're going to be part of silly people becoming more lax and spreading this illness. It's irresponsible. When lives are at risk the only sensible thing to do is err on the side of caution even if you have private concerns. If you can't back them up with fact do not spread them idly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

brutes1 wrote: »
    I totally agree. Would be very sceptical about it all

There is major propaganda around this and very little facts other then Headline News deaths eg comparison to flu deaths, real infection and mortality rates, deaths quoted include those who have the disease but may not have died from it etc. Never a lockdown for swine flu or other bad flu seasons, Why now?
    Did anyone ask the Over 70s are they happy to be effectively imprisoned at home??

No dissent and no questions at all, the media etc should be ashamed of its independent status

Conspiracy forum is that way >>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod:

Moved from Galway City > Coronavirus (COVID-19) forum. Please note that the local charter applies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I suppose this virus is non discriminatory and it'll definitely wipe out the older people if it's not controlled.

I've heard a lot of conspiracy theories and the strangest one concerning the public was that a lot of wealthy playboys and conglomerates are absolutely peppering it and they know if they get it, that's it game over lights out.
    So systemically they had to shut the world down, because the world needs these vampires hoarding the riches and warehouses full of cash, metaphorically speaking here.
    Obviously their wealth is in accounts and shares.

Another one is that it is caused by 5g,and another is they shut the world down to install 5g, whomever comes up with these conspicuous conspiracies are the usual ones.

Another one is they've finally found an excuse to install a new world order, fulfilling the book of revelations, the number of the beast one nine, 3 3 3 x 2 is 666 and all that stuff.

Another is it came from a laboratory in the far East.

Fck knows where, when or what happened.

Like a butterfly causing a hurricane it seems like a bat taking a **** has caused the perfect storm.

A **** storm of magnitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mikiezzz

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just wondering how you are reacting to all the non stop coverage on all news channels and radio about the virus, I have stopped looking at the tv news and change channels on the radio, I find it is just destroying our lives with all the talk about it and all the deaths, you never hear about how many have recovered, does anyone remember the Swine Flu epidemic in 2009 we had no rolling non stop news about it yet it killed 575k World wide and put hundreds of thousands of people in hospital ,do you think this being led big time by the news media .any thoughts

The virus has destroyed our lives, but not the coverage. If the virus has not reached your area, then you are lucky. But it does not mean it is not necessary to keep being informed.

The infected people increase in an exponential pattern. It means the increase will be faster and faster. The R0 of Corona virus is 3.7, which is very big. It develops like
    3.7 x 3.7 = 13.69
    x 3.7 = 50.65
    x 3.7 = 187.41
    x 3.7 = 693.44
    x 3.7 = 2,565.73
    x 3.7 = 9,493.19
    x 3.7 = 35,124.79
    x 3.7 = 129,961.74
    x 3.7 = 480,858.44
    x 3.7=1,779,176.22

So 10 steps to reach over 1 million people. Closely observing it is needed because its development speed could be explosive.

One story I read, is about a Canadian couple who sold all their property and moved from Quebec to a small village in Yukon area in Arctic Circle. They selected the place after researching the map, and regarded that place the best for escaping from the virus. However, on arrival at the airport, local officers restricted their movement and deported them at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mikiezzz

Documentary:
    Tracking Down the Origin of the Wuhan Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There was other news during the Swine Flu epidemic, where now there is hardly any other significant news.

As someone who does watch the news, probably far too much, I find I'm getting weary of it all.

I think it's best to switch off from it even if only for a day. All these daily updated death counts are depressing and getting depressed doesn't help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have found it hilarious.

Sorry but i have. One minute they are certain about something the next say the exact opposite.

Journalists seem really naive at this point. There is so much conflicting info. They seem to believe anything.

Also since a lot of print news writes things months in advance its becoming really obvious.

Researched stories often take a lot longer than people think so they are submitted usually at least three months before they will be printed to be checked etc. And a writer will spend perhaps longer than that putting a story together.

So recent or daily news often lacks detail. They can't give much backstory that requires time and investigation.

You also get weird news stories mixed in with current news probably written from months ago and its obvious.

Sorry it probably seems i am being snide. I just find it funny though.

Also RTE still speaks to people like they are five.

Because we are in lockdown ...nothing else is happening no other news. I can also imagine lockdown means reporting and verifying is much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's going to effect every aspect of our lives for years to come so there is no getting away from it im afraid. Best just turn the news and internet off and forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Storm 10 wrote: »

I don't watch TV or listen to the radio, don't read newspapers either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

What was the bravest corona-virus reporting you've seen throughout this entire crisis?

To get the ball rolling, below is a clip of Sky News reporter Stuart Ramsey going into a Covid-19 ward in Italy. With all the ventilator machines aerosolising the virus, the air in the hospital ward he visited must have been reeking with the virus. One slip of his face mask could have resulted in infection. Extremely brave reporting.

What examples of brave reporting did you watch (or read) during this crisis so far?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597

Advertisement