Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 09-04-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm sick of searching and asking people, but does anyone know of a mobile network that offers a static IP sim for a broadband router for CCTV.

I can't get a straight answer from 3 or Vodafone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Let your DVR register with a dynamic DNS service, get a SIM for an MBB plan (not a regular phone sim, thats behind CNAT). Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

ED E wrote: »
    Let your DVR register with a dynamic DNS service, get a SIM for an MBB plan (not a regular phone sim, thats behind CNAT). Done.

Can you dumb that down a bit please, I have a mobile broadband SIM from 3 but they are no help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Could you use a dns server? We're using noip with 3 mobile broadband and works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

ED E wrote: »

Sounds like jibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

Mobile networks do not provide a public IP. Multiple users share the same internet public IP address. Your mobile device is treated the same as a device on your internal home network, it’s NAT’d. If you need more info, search NEtwork address translation on google.

This is because there are limited number of public IPs available so they cannot allocate one (even dynamically) to every mobile device. To many mobile devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

orm0nd wrote: »
    Could you use a dns server? We're using noip with 3 mobile broadband and works fine.

I've signed up, what router are you using?
    Says it's only compatible with a few brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I've signed up, what router are you using?
    Says it's only compatible with a few brands.

it doesnt matter which router

you set it up in the ip cam setting and what ever viewer app you're using on your phone or laptop

all you have to do in the router is to the allow chosen dns id. to pass and verify the port number (usually under Virtual server settings )

Advertisement