Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coworker ignoring Covid-19 guidelines

• 09-04-2020 4:09pm

I’m working in a front line service as an essential worker. The cleaner in our service has always been problematic (does no work, inappropriate with clients, aggressive, rude), but my manager is highly defensive of her for reasons we can’t understand. Anytime a staff member has complained they’ve been accused of “not liking” her and have been berated.

Since Covid-19, she has not been adhering to social distancing. She comes right beside me and she literally spits when she talks. I’m losing my mind. I try to nicely ask her to give me space but she either looks at me as if I’ve offended her or else says oops, I keep forgetting.

My anxiety is through the roof everytime I think of another shift with her there. I see her go up to close proximity to everyone, clients and staff alike. I wish my manager would intervene but she doesn’t, it’s a joke. And if I say it to her, I’ll likely be berated. I don’t know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Can you put your complaint in writing, possibly via email? have witnesses / evidence ready to back up your story.

that way it cannot be brushed off. Tell supervisor you expect an answer.

if via email you can cc the supervisors boss or HR etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

I’m working in a front line service as an essential worker. The cleaner in our service has always been problematic (does no work, inappropriate with clients, aggressive, rude), but my manager is highly defensive of her for reasons we can’t understand. Anytime a staff member has complained they’ve been accused of “not liking” her and have been berated.

Since Covid-19, she has not been adhering to social distancing. She comes right beside me and she literally spits when she talks. I’m losing my mind. I try to nicely ask her to give me space but she either looks at me as if I’ve offended her or else says oops, I keep forgetting.

My anxiety is through the roof everytime I think of another shift with her there. I see her go up to close proximity to everyone, clients and staff alike. I wish my manager would intervene but she doesn’t, it’s a joke. And if I say it to her, I’ll likely be berated. I don’t know what to do.

Are you working in a heathcare setting? Perhaps bring it to your Director of Nursing instead of your cleaning supervisor. Tell the DON why you’ve brought it to her and explain you’ve brought it to your supervisors attention before with no acknowledgement. You can also tell her you’d prefer to remain unnamed and just that the individual would be spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I've experienced the same OP with a co-worker who doesn't get personal space at the best of times but now it's amplified, I've had to say to her a couple of times "social distancing". Say it very loudly and even put your hands out to make the point.

Feck it, now is the time to put a stop to this kind of carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

pinkyeye wrote:
    I've experienced the same OP with a co-worker who doesn't get personal space at the best of times but now it's amplified, I've had to say to her a couple of times "social distancing". Say it very loudly and even put your hands out to make the point.

Totally agree with this, just say "you're too close to me " loud and clear, you dont need to tiptoe around it, your health is at stake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

I agree with other posters but you can also advice your manager that this co-worker is breaching health and safety rules too in light of social distancing and placing your health at risk and that if they are not spoken to you will raise the matter further either with HR or a health and safety person in the company if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭the14thwarrior

Perhaps just look after yourself at this time
    you likely won't get anywhere with making any sort of complaint at this time, nor would it likely do you any good to complain to your manager. everyone is too stressed during this crisis.

when she is too near you, just say social distancing please or something neutral, it helps with objectivity. you can stick your arm out if you want.

if she gives you the covid and you give it to your family, you'll be sorry. she won't be though. shes a covidiot.

you can't get into trouble for adhering to rules, but theres no need to concern yourself with other issues at this time.

Obviously bigger issues at hand but the biggest issue is your health, which is in your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pistachio19

Keep saying 2 meters loudly when she comes near you, while holding your hand out in front of you. I wouldn't give a damn about offending her at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SaintPat

My anxiety is through the roof everytime I think of another shift with her there.

Fear weakens the immune system. Meditation helps to deal with such situations more calmly.

Advertisement