Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Eir modem/router ... won't connect to TV

• 09-04-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

After my saga with Eir, (rant on another thread) finally got FTTH installed today. Speeds are good (143Mbps on a 150 plan) and connecting to PCs and Laptops, phones etc. However, will not connect or connects and continuously disconnects to either TV (both Sonys and old one and a brand new AG8).

Main TV is the AG8 and it sees the network, says the signal is good, connects but then switches to a 'saved' network, then says 'connected. no internet'. Won't play Disney+ or Netflix. Other TV pretty much the same. Anyone had this difficulty? Daughter's birthday and she had plans for a movie fest .. I'm under pressure!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Myksyk wrote: »
    After my saga with Eir, (rant on another thread) finally got FTTH installed today. Speeds are good (143Mbps on a 150 plan) and connecting to PCs and Laptops, phones etc. However, will not connect or connects and continuously disconnects to either TV (both Sonys and old one and a brand new AG8).

Main TV is the AG8 and it sees the network, says the signal is good, connects but then switches to a 'saved' network, then says 'connected. no internet'. Won't play Disney+ or Netflix. Other TV pretty much the same. Anyone had this difficulty? Daughter's birthday and she had plans for a movie fest .. I'm under pressure!!!
    Gatherings of more than N people prohibited due to %(^&%£$ ... :D, but Happy Birthday!
    Reset network settings on TV's and try again
    Where possible use cable connection instead WiFi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I've changed all settings on TV to no avail ... its definitely seeing the network and 'half-connecting'. Sigh, why can't things 'just work'?!

I've changed all settings on TV to no avail ... its definitely seeing the network and 'half-connecting'. Sigh, why can't things 'just work'?!
    Don't know what you mean by "changed all settings". There has to be option "reset network" in menu.

Is cable(Ethernet) connection an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Don't know what you mean by "changed all settings". There has to be option "reset network" in menu.

My heart was broken with TV and firestick WiFi and streaming. I got a tp/link powerline set, and never had to think about it again.

Sorry, I mean I went in and got it to forget previous network then joined the new network ... Now all its doing is rotating rapidly between 'connected' to 'saved' to 'connected, no internet.' bravias don't seem to have a reset all settings option under the network menu.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I mean I went in and got it to forget previous network then joined the new network ... Now all its doing is rotating rapidly between 'connected' to 'saved' to 'connected, no internet.' bravias don't seem to have a reset all settings option under the network menu.
    Reset might be under system menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is it on another room compared to the router. Are there solid block walls in between. This may be your issue. Bring the TV into the room with the router and see if it works there. If so the signal is too weak. Buy a WiFi booster if that is the issue. Another option is to buy a few 3pin plugs WiFi repeater/booster

Slava Ukrainii

Is it on another room compared to the router. Are there solid block walls in between. This may be your issue. Bring the TV into the room with the router and see if it works there. If so the signal is too weak. Buy a WiFi booster if that is the issue. Another option is to buy a few 3pin plugs WiFi repeater/booster
    "Connected, no internet" to me sound like TV able to connect, but gateway/DNS settings off - hence suggestion to reset network settings.
    @ OP
    This is providing you don't have second "router" on network serving DHCP and messing things up.
    Other option would be manually configure network settings on each TV:
    if MAIN router is on 192.168.1.1
    set TV to 192.168.1.200 (most likely wont be in use, increase this number by one for each other TV like 192.168.1.201,192.168.1.202. Keep other settings same)
    Mask to: 255.255.255.0
    Def gate: 192.168.1.1
    DNS1: 192.168.1.1
    DNS2: 8.8.8.8

Guys, you're very good to offer suggestions. Have tried and failed on them however. Wonder is there a router problem internally in the new modem?

My TV is only 12 paces from the router which is in the hall, stud walls no concrete. My old modem that I got rid off with standard broadband had no difficulty connecting and streaming. That was the F1000, the new F3000 I would have thought might have at least equal the range and power? Frustrating.

I have a wi-fi extender in another part of the house I might try. Seems ridiculous that I upgrade and end up doing that.

Guys, you're very good to offer suggestions. Have tried and failed on them however. Wonder is there a router problem internally in the new modem?

My TV is only 12 paces from the router which is in the hall, stud walls no concrete. My old modem that I got rid off with standard broadband had no difficulty connecting and streaming. That was the F1000, the new F3000 I would have thought might have at least equal the range and power? Frustrating.

I have a wi-fi extender in another part of the house I might try. Seems ridiculous that I upgrade and end up doing that.
    Providing all other devices can connect and have internet access i don't see fault in your new router...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Connected, no internet" to me sound like TV able to connect, but gateway/DNS settings off - hence suggestion to reset network settings.

You're right but it may be simpler than that, partial/broken WPA implementations can allow a client to think its latched to the AP but never actually send frames and thus never DHCP.

That, OR the TV is getting a v6 offer and getting confused. Not uncommon.

Not up on the latest unit Eir are issuing:
    1. Split the bands if they're combined into a single SSID
    2. Disable IPv6
    3. Confirm the TV is actually leasing an IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

How many wireless devices do you have connecting to the network? The eir has a limit of 16 I think.

I've a feeling its something on Eir's side ... had a KN guy who's a neighbour in who said it was odd but felt it might be something they need to do their side (Internet light is steady but should be blinking). Im going to talk them Tuesday ... In the meantime he gave me two Eir powerline adaptors and the TV connected up straightaway. Bloody annoying and odd overall. Many thanks for all the input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I have the new eir modem myself, not the best piece of kit. Haven't noticed any issues with wifi, but I do have 2 other routers setup around the house for additional coverage.

Maybe try separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and try connect the TV to each one and see if that might solve it.

ED E wrote: »
    You're right but it may be simpler than that, partial/broken WPA implementations can allow a client to think its latched to the AP but never actually send frames and thus never DHCP.

That, OR the TV is getting a v6 offer and getting confused. Not uncommon.

Not up on the latest unit Eir are issuing:
    1. Split the bands if they're combined into a single SSID
    2. Disable IPv6
    3. Confirm the TV is actually leasing an IP
    :D I forgot about this BS combined SSID trend. I know its ON by default on Vodafone's Gigabox, what router(actual brand) Eir issues these days and are they doing the same?
    Rest i think would be covered by setting static IP

And as always - Ethernet option first...

Advertisement