Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening up a Creche

Options
  • 09-04-2020 7:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

Hi, myself and parnter currently looking into starting up our own crehe and am drawing upa business plan etc.. I would be very interested to speak to anyone who has done this in the past for any pointers, advice etc you could give me in regard to this or anyone working in the sector who has any thoughts or recomendations.
    thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Use the search function on the top right and you will find a few threads over the past year or two on the topic which might help.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=106&subforums=1&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=creche

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Phillip D

Axwell wrote: »
    Use the search function on the top right and you will find a few threads over the past year or two on the topic which might help.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=106&subforums=1&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=creche

Hi thanks

I have but didnt get much luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Possibly one of the last businesses I'd consider opening. I deal with a fella that has a fairly successful business and wouldn't be a cryer, his missus has a creche and he was saying she'd be better off stacking shelves.
    I don't think they were out protesting a month or two ago for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you do nothing else, read up on the horror stories of both getting and paying for insurance. You could easily be talking double-digit premiums per year.

Unless you have buckets of cash and experience, I'd pretty much do anything else in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MyTax Ireland

ironclaw wrote: »
    If you do nothing else, read up on the horror stories of both getting and paying for insurance. You could easily be talking double-digit premiums per year.

Unless you have buckets of cash and experience, I'd pretty much do anything else in Ireland.

I'd agree with this - the Insurance can be an eye watering figure.

Strongly suggest you do a detailed financial forecast to see what is required to make a profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Plenty of Childcare facilities making a decent profit. Plenty also thread the financial tightrope.

Swap "Childcare Facilities" for restaurant, coffee shop, retailer, hotel, builder or any type of business and the statement will still read true.

Just like any business, if you have the business management experience and the knowledge of the sector, you'll do well.

yes, you will read horror stories - same as you read horror stories of retail, hospitality etc because good news stories don't make for good reading and frankly those who do well tend not to shout about it.

I'd start with becoming a member of a childcare federation - https://www.earlychildhoodireland.ie/about/

They will give you the real information and guide you. Once you have that, then make a decision.

€195 membership fee - https://www.earlychildhoodireland.ie/memberships/membership-types/service-providers-membership/
    Possibly the best €195 you'll spend that will allow you make a proper informed decision.

enricoh wrote: »
    Possibly one of the last businesses I'd consider opening. I deal with a fella that has a fairly successful business and wouldn't be a cryer, his missus has a creche and he was saying she'd be better off stacking shelves.
    I don't think they were out protesting a month or two ago for the craic.

What fi you mean deal with a fella ? What is his business creche. I know it can be stressful but if you like what you do your going to put more effort into it . I highly doubt his wife would be better stacking shelves. A creche wouldn't be short of business alot of creches turn people away as they have no more room to take anymore in.

Maybe the fella you deal with is renting out a property for the creche and finds it hard to pay rent and insurance ont top of other things.

ironclaw wrote: »

What would you consider?

I have read a good few but again you only hear about the horror stories never the good ones .

I'd agree with this - the Insurance can be an eye watering figure.

Strongly suggest you do a detailed financial forecast to see what is required to make a profit.

Roughly would you know ghd figure for insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I’m the last week you have asked about being a ;

Pilot
    Prison Officer
    Garda
    Landlord

And now a Crèche Owner.

Sorry to be cynical but what’s next week ?

A Vet and a Train Driver ?

This forum is for people requiring often serious, sometimes matter of fact advice on business issues they may be having.

Not for project work/boredom/Self isolation tyre kicking.

If you want to know the prices for insurance, why don’t you take ten minutes to ring up a Commerical broker, give the detail of what your trying to do and ask them for a general advisory quote. That’s if your actually really thinking of doing it of course.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Bandara wrote: »
    I’m the last week you have asked about being a ;

Pilot
    Prison Officer
    Garda
    Landlord

And now a Crèche Owner.

Sorry to be cynical but what’s next week ?

A Vet and a Train Driver ?

This forum is for people requiring often serious, sometimes matter of fact advice on business issues they may be having.

Not for project work/boredom/Self isolation tyre kicking.

If you want to know the prices for insurance, why don’t you take ten minutes to ring up a Commerical broker, give the detail of what your trying to do and ask them for a general advisory quote. That’s if your actually really thinking of doing it of course.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the thread. First I am already a landlord so you can tick that off your list.

Second am I not allowed comment on other threads I'm Interested in ? I wouldn't mind joining the garda or prison service if I felt it would benefit me so I should be able to ask about it on boards from people who you might work in that sector and would know more then me in that line of work .
    The creche is my partners idea I would be investing in it, you know people can still work full time and have a side business why would I not want to have a second income and plan for the future. If you have the space and money to invest why not ?

And I was just asking a question about pilot salary ad I came across it .

Yes the forum is for serious advice and business issues but it's also for other things iv come across threads about fifa ps4 game and other silly things like people trying to start arguments just for fun.so you cant say it's just for serious stuff.

Not sure about vet now not my cup of tea , I know a train driver gets decent pay for the job they do which isn't that hard compared to say a nurse who should be on much more and hopefully they will be one day .but thanks for your opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Phillip D wrote: »
    Yes the forum is for serious advice and business issues but it's also for other things iv come across threads about fifa ps4 game and other silly things like people trying to start arguments just for fun.so you cant say it's just for serious stuff.

This is a business forum..those are forums for those specific topics, the discussion there has no bearing on how this forum operates. If you have serious business questions then ask away but you will find as above that its hard for people to take you as serious about your commitment and interest in setting up a creche business if at the same time you are posting in a multitude of other threads asking about those jobs and salaries. People are willing to offer great help and advice but no one likes to think their time is being wasted doing so.

Advertisement