Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Journal.ie & COVID19

Options
  • 09-04-2020 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

I get the UK's Guardian asking for money, they have done for many years, but are the journal.ie using the current COVID-19 disaster to boost their income?

See AD.

https://www.thejournal.ie/contribute/?#support-us

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I get the UK's Guardian asking for money, they have done for many years, but are the journal.ie using the current COVID-19 disaster to boost their income?

See AD.

https://www.thejournal.ie/contribute/?#support-us

Thoughts?

Advertising revenue has fallen off a cliff, and Google take most of that spend anyway. Journalism is in terrible trouble. Which isn’t good for democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Be it newspapers or websites nither are cheap to run, so I would not begrudge them collecting a few euro or pounds. The same goes for paywall stories online.

Dan.

The examiner is only thing approaching good newspaper here, and its free online (i still buy it on a monday)

Fcuk the journal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Unless something has changed recently, then comparison between the journal.ie and The Guardian holds no water.
    Like or not the political ethos of the Guardian, there can be a lot of quality journalism in it, both news and sport. Unless it has improved a lot lately, the journal hasn't.
    I don't have a problem paying for papers and journalism, but the journal I've always seen as a click driven rag of a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The examiner is only thing approaching good newspaper here...

The tells me you are either based in the south, are a left-leaning liberal, or both.

If a newspaper/site doesn't seem to have an agenda, it just means it shares your agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE are bucking the trend, no pay cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

listen to the radio, every second ad is a government covid 19 public information announcement, the rest are for businesses such as supermarkets. No one is spending a cent on marketing.

topper75 wrote: »
    The tells me you are either based in the south, are a left-leaning liberal, or both.

If a newspaper/site doesn't seem to have an agenda, it just means it shares your agenda.

Tbh what would mainly draw me to it,is the quality of its sports journalism...a paper that puta money into that,usually tends to be quality all over

But it is an interesting concept as regards agenda,something to ponder further on (paper is still sold as cork examiner alright about where i am alright though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I've lost count how many times I've been banned from posting on the comment section without warning. It's extremely frustrating when you type out a long comment and after you click submit, nothing shows up. Between the authoritarian moderation and left-leaning bias, I won't be giving them a cent. If Daft Media or Distilled Media or whatever they call themselves, had more respect for free speech and were more impartial with moderation, I'd at least disable my adblocker for the website because it's my go-to place for news as it has the best layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

listen to the radio, every second ad is a government covid 19 public information announcement, the rest are for businesses such as supermarkets. No one is spending a cent on marketing.

The government must be forking out advertising revenue to keep the media sweet. Considering the criticism of government has been slim to none from the media, I think we are seeing how unimportant they are and that they can be easily bought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement