Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Algae with Blagdon

Options
  • 09-04-2020 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi There,
    Seen a few mixed reviews but has anyone used Blagdon "green away" to remove algae from their garden ponds and is it any good or is there a better product on the market ?
    Also do you need to turn off the pond pump that has a UV light when treating the water with the anti algae treatment or can you leave it on ?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Hi There,
    Seen a few mixed reviews but has anyone used Blagdon "green away" to remove algae from their garden ponds and is it any good or is there a better product on the market ?
    Also do you need to turn off the pond pump that has a UV light when treating the water with the anti algae treatment or can you leave it on ?
    Thanks.

I have tried it a few times, never really successfully.
    I believe it works by 'clumping' the solids together so they can be pumped out easier.
    I struggled for quite a while using products like this and replacing UV bulbs, Quartz tubes etc.
    None of which are particularly cheap.
    Ultimately, the best success I have had was to replace the whole existing UV/Filter with a new unit. It's been crystal clear since.

In hindsight, I would have saved a fair bit of time and money if i just got the new unit initially.
    I suppose it depends on the cost of a suitable replacement and the age of your current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

A clean filter in the pump and a working uv light is all you need to keep the water clear.change the bulb first.The algae will just come back again when you use "green away"as its only a temporary solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

upupup wrote: »
    A clean filter in the pump and a working uv light is all you need to keep the water clear.change the bulb first.The algae will just come back again when you use "green away"as its only a temporary solution.
    Can you leave the pump on while applying the green away?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Yes,you can leave the pump running as the dead algae is collected in the pump filter and the movement of water will ensure the blagdon is mixed

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Sorry to hijack.
    I've setup a pond with a decent filter that incorporates a UV light.
    I've read that for putting fish into a pond you also need to treat the tap water and also add bacteria.

I've had Aqua Safe recommended to me for the water treatment - https://www.tetra.net/en/produkte/tetra-pond-aquasafe

Would I also need to add bacteria on top of this?

-Thanks

• Advertisement

If the pond has been up and running for a few weeks you don't need that stuff.
    You need to leave your pond running a few weeks before adding fish anyway.
    The filters need to mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

If the pond has been up and running for a few weeks you don't need that stuff.
    You need to leave your pond running a few weeks before adding fish anyway.
    The filters need to mature.

Oh, great, thanks, it's been running over a month.
    Don't suppose it's possible to buy fish in the current covid world :confused:

Advertisement