Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learn windows/pc online course

Options
  • 09-04-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Helping someone for actives during the lock down - they can 'use' a computer and by that I mean fumble around to get to basic websites, but no real understanding. For example I know to check the system tray to see if the volume is muted rather than thinking I did something wrong, knowing to read the URL to make sure its not a scam site, when and where to left/right click etc etc....

I am a useless teacher and the person would like a course structure of lessons, happy to pay a small amount but would like something they will use and get something from.

Person is 60+, will be using a lenovo 13 inch laptop with windows 10, doesn't have office and its not a wanted skill. Would like them to be able to use the internet with confidence, know how to use notepad similar to make small lists on the PC, know how to organise files, delete objects,

I find it hard to express my list of wants, but hopefully someone has experience in this, I do not want a list of of youtube links, happy to pay for an organised central course structure with a progression curve.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Everything starts from fundations. Look for ECDL for start, take it from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Everything starts from fundations. Look for ECDL for start, take it from there...

Thanks, seems to be a bit big for the beginner I had in mind, also lots of office stuff. Was hoping to find a udemy/coursera type thing simple 5-15 videos chunks that accomplish a task, maybe a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

If you don't mind paying a little bit I could recommend this course in Udemy Computer Literacy & Basic Computer Skills for Productivity it goes through the basics for Windows and Mac (not relevant in your case, but the person you are trying to help will get an introduction to The Cult of Mac :D). It also covers using Google apps and was last updated in Sep 2019.

For someone starting it looks good and it's on offer right now. I have checked Coursera and the Khan Academy to see if they have something for beginners of the type you are looking for and I cannot find anything but check if you see something

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Would like them to be able to use the internet with confidence, know how to use notepad similar to make small lists on the PC, know how to organise files, delete objects,

Maybe a few videos from the likes of this guy would be beneficial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjRKZxr-KY

I reckon that a lot of people who could easily organise their paperwork in a file cabinet find it difficult to relate that to this virtual filing cabinet on their PC.
    That would be one of the first items that could be explained and discussed with examples.

Safe and secure internet use is a completely separate matter and there are thousands of videos on line that deal with this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement